Author Topic: VR  (Read 2135 times)

Offline Onyx13

• Zinc Member
VR
« on: December 18, 2016, 10:33:21 AM »
Will AH ever be able to be played in VR?

Offline puller

• Gold Member
Re: VR
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 10:37:17 AM »
It is VR ready now...all u need is a setup and dx11 and a good video card
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 11:45:01 AM »

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 06:11:49 AM »
Aces High III was, initially, released with full support for the Rift and the Vive.  You can even use the Vive controllers in the game, as well as the Rift XBox controller, or use your HOTAS setups as well.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Owlblink

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2016, 11:44:58 PM »
I play with a VIVE headset now, LOVE IT!

You do lose some detail because VR headsets do not have the super resolution of a modern monitor, but it still looks good and it definitely puts you in the cockpit!
Kommando Nowotny FSO
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline SlipKnt

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 11:29:25 AM »
I am getting really interested in doing this but have a question before I commit to such a cost.

I haven't seen it in any of the videos yet.

Can you look all the way behind you??? 

Thanks!
AKSlpKnT
Arabian Knights
DCS:
SlipKnoT
vCSG-3, VMA-513 Flying Nightmares (AV8B)

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2016, 01:59:08 PM »

Yes, you can look EVERYWHERE.   :aok  You can even LEAN and look. It's really like sitting in the cockpit.

I am getting really interested in doing this but have a question before I commit to such a cost.

Thanks!
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline Owlblink

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2016, 04:14:14 PM »

Thanks!

Also, it is authentic VR - Meaning the cockpit and enviornment has depth!

You may get a bit of motion sickness for a few minutes for the first cupple of uses till you're conditioned to the phenomenon of your visual/audio senses giving you different information than your sense of orientation. Once in a while I still get a little bit when I come in for a landing and look out the window while stoping rapidly; I'm expecting to feel the restraints of the aircraft slowing my body down but my body "keeps going"

The pixel sharpness is not as crisp as on your monitor but it still looks bettter than AH II.

One other thing to consider is that the HTC VIVE has a slightly wider resolution so it has that for an advantage in a simulator. Just research a few different hardware options and find what will work for you over all.
Kommando Nowotny FSO
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline SlipKnt

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2016, 09:19:42 AM »
I appreciate the information. 

Is there a particular brand anyone prefers?

Thanks all!
AKSlpKnT
Arabian Knights
DCS:
SlipKnoT

Offline SlipKnt

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2016, 09:27:37 AM »
Oops!  You did mention VIVE...

I am going to look into it.
AKSlpKnT
Arabian Knights
DCS:
SlipKnoT

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2016, 09:45:25 AM »
For AH3, it's the Oculus Rift.
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2016, 12:19:17 PM »
My question is... Which is easier to use keyboard with? Do you have to remove the head set to see the keyboard? I cant type without looking, hand numbness, but never could even before the MS caused the numbness. I dont get out much and havent been able to test drive VR. I did see some where, that one of the platforms Vive I believe was working on "hand trackers" controllers? Most of the reviews for that platform stated that most were waiting on that upgrade before they took the plunge. I love my TIR but this VR :x if I can find one that can work with my particular disabilities would just be awesome!  :cheers:
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Owlblink

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2016, 04:44:14 PM »
My question is... Which is easier to use keyboard with? Do you have to remove the head set to see the keyboard? I cant type without looking, hand numbness, but never could even before the MS caused the numbness. I don't get out much and ha vent been able to test drive VR. I did see some where, that one of the platforms Vivie I believe was working on "hand trackers" controllers? Most of the reviews for that platform stated that most were waiting on that upgrade before they took the plunge. I love my TIR but this VR :x if I can find one that can work with my particular disabilities would just be awesome!  :cheers:

Well from what I know of now you cant directly see the keyboard from Oculus nor the VIVE, HOWEVER, the HTC Vivie does have a camera on the front outside that you can set to toggle on/off with a button. The camera has a weird blue effect, almost like looking through a thermal camera or something off of a ghost adventure show ;) The benefit of using that sort of low blue lighting effect is that it doesn't expose your eyes to bright roomlight if you happen to be running the game in lower gamma settings or in a dark area and it would force your vision to constantly readjust in a negative way.

I am not familiar with which system is working on hand tracking for a VR keyboard, but the HTC VIVE comes with two handy controllers that you can choose to use or not use. Sometimes I used them for a while when I first got the headset but most the time I just use the mouse and look at where I want to click with my head on things on the clipboard. I have the advantage of having been taught how to type with my keyboard being covered and at times the monitor too! My teacher ran a keystroke detection program so she would penalize us for hitting the backspace too often. I'd say most people with confidence and an ability/will to learn will find that once they get their hands set to homekey orientation they will type just fine, however health issues like you've described could be a real challenge.

You can always lift the headsets up and rest them on your head to see they keyboard for typing while on autopilot or in the hanger. The VIVE ways a little bit more than the Oculus but I like its head harness better.

The VIVE has an analogue cord on the back of the headset to plug in earbuds (and comes with some OK ones) or some other stereo speakers while the Oculus comes with some old school looking ear speakers. Not sure about the Oculus but the VIVE has a built in mic that works very well and the headset itself can also be adjusted for using with glasses and such.

Hope the info helps out a bit more!

:cheers:
Kommando Nowotny FSO
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2016, 04:53:29 PM »
YES Thanks brother. Just not alot of info out there yet,well none I could understand :old:  I may be old, but I will jump right in! Well into most things, guess I should stipulate, Old enough to know better but young enough too, hey hold ma beer!!! Im in!!! :cheers:
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2016, 06:42:53 PM »
Most users of the Rift have a small space at the nose, and you can look down and pick up your keyboard if you have to.  I do it that way, and when I'm looking ahead, I don't even notice the small space between my nose and the unit.  In fact, I usually have to hunt for it with my eyes for a second to find it, then look at the KB through the space.  Works well for me the odd times I lose where my hands are on the KB.  I have a pile of various mech keyboards, and am using the Ducky Shine 5 for the most part, with custom key caps, so I can easily find the "f" and "j" keys with their non standard large bumps, just for that purpose of not being able to see it easily with VR.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 06:44:32 PM by Gman »