Author Topic: brakes?  (Read 6543 times)

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
brakes?
« on: December 21, 2016, 01:48:35 PM »
when I use the toe brakes on my rudder pedals I stop quickly and see a nose dip. If I use the keyboard nothing happens. Does the rudder pedal function cancel out the keyboard function?

whoops wrong forum
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 01:50:13 PM by flatiron1 »

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
brakes?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 01:50:38 PM »
when I use the toe brakes on my rudder pedals I stop quickly and see a nose dip. If I use the keyboard nothing happens. Does the rudder pedal function cancel out the keyboard function?

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
Re: brakes?
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 01:57:58 PM »
Pretty sure putting any control that can use it on an axis cancels out the button for the same function.  Among others like brakes, things like zoom, rudder, etc.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 03:41:22 PM »
It should not cancel out the keypad. The difference is that with toe brakes you can adjust how much braking you want or need. You can also use braking to offset drag from damage making you go off the runway.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 04:35:23 PM »
Make sure you have the analog brake functions mapped, and not the on/off function like what is default for the keyboard.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 04:44:06 PM »
Pretty sure putting any control that can use it on an axis cancels out the button for the same function.  Among others like brakes, things like zoom, rudder, etc.

Wiley.

Pretty sure assigned analog inputs live happily with assigned digital inputs, as long as they are not mapped to the same device at the same time.
My Current Rig:

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2016, 05:09:13 PM »
Pretty sure assigned analog inputs live happily with assigned digital inputs, as long as they are not mapped to the same device at the same time.

If that's true, why would it matter if it was on the same device?
Either you move an analog input, or pressing a digital button.  Do them both at the same time you may have issues, regardless of which
device they're mapped to.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2016, 09:50:54 PM »
strange, I can use keyboard or joystick to adjust rpm but brakes only work with one or the other.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2016, 01:55:00 AM »

Yes, if you have toe brakes assigned to your rudder pedals it will over-ride the keybinding for wheel brakes.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2016, 11:48:57 AM »
Flatiron, the Rudder Toe brakes should be an analog setting, so you can adjust the dead band and damping to keep the nose over from being so abrupt. You can also adjust the scaling to help even more. :rock
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2016, 11:55:39 AM »
strange, I can use keyboard or joystick to adjust rpm but brakes only work with one or the other.

Interesting.  I'm pretty sure putting zoom on an axis overrides the zoom buttons, which is what I was thinking of at the time.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2016, 12:38:08 PM »
ok what I want to do is be able to use my rudder pedals for left/right braking and also have a function where I can apply both brakes equally at the same time. there is a button setting for the controls that says flight wheel brakes  but does not seem to work.

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2016, 01:00:05 PM »
Are you mapping analog control, like for your ailerons rudder and throttle, or the button function like for views and fire button?

My right toe brake wire broke, so I use my left toe brake to apply brakes to both right and left wheels. Works fine for my setup, but I really miss differential braking for getting onto the rearm pad.

Edit:
After reading again, it sounds like you're using the pedals for brakes instead of for rudder, and don't have actual toe brake movement? What kind of pedals do you have?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 01:03:21 PM by ImADot »
My Current Rig:

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2016, 01:25:57 PM »
I use pedals for rudder and toe brakes. Ch pedals .
I just want to be able to have a function that will work both brakes simultaneously like yo would be able to do if using keyboard onlyit

What is the control function named flight brakes suppossed to do?

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2016, 02:45:27 PM »
Flat,

Set the toe brakes to work as a push button,IIRC there is a analog setting to do that,dont have access to my game machine to verify. Basically set the toe brakes to "C" and "V" then you should be able to set a button for brakes and have what you want.

I use a hatswitch for differential brakes and a button to brake since my pedal toe brakes quit.

You cant have analog toe brakes and a brake button/switch/lever unless you map the analog as a button press.

:salute