Author Topic: Oculus Rift or any VR  (Read 1655 times)

Offline rvflyer

• Nickel Member
Oculus Rift or any VR
« on: December 22, 2016, 09:56:50 PM »
 :airplane:|>---{ I see a few comments over in the Hardware and
Software section but no real information or answers or real help. Is there a place where that information is and I am missing it?
My wonderful wife bought me a Oculus Rift for Christmas and I have been trying it out in Aces High. I must say while I love the realism of setting in a aircraft so far I am totally disappointed in  the quality
and resolution in the game. Is there a place find find out how to set them up and what are other people doing for settings that are using VR headsets in this game that are working for them? I can't quit the game and change FOV settings while using the headset. When I log out back to the video setting page it just hangs up until I hit home menu in the Rift. What is a good resolution to use? What is the best FOV to use?

I have a EVGA 1070 OC video card and 16GB of RAM and a EVGA  Z170 motherboard OC to 4400.

Unless I am missing something I am not thrilled with the results.
Skuzzy feel free to post this where it can do the most good.
Tour 70 2005 to present

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Re: Oculus Rift or any VR
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 02:49:51 AM »
All VR takes a hit on resolution at the moment. That is because it is rendering a stereoscopic 3D view in Side-By-Side format (SBS). So your horizonal resolution drops. Make sure your game res is set to 2160 x 1200  (though effectively you will get 1080x1200 per eye). This a tradeoff due to capabilities of video cards and to keep fps up. In the coming years we will see 4K headsets (maybe 2018 for good ones, though there are some really shonky chinese ones that are apparently absolute rubbish).

The advantages VR gives you is native 1:1 head tracking and stereoscopic 3D.

Some tips:
 - have a fan blowing on your face, it prevents your head overheating and the screens fogging. It helps with people who get motion sickness too.
 - map a button on your stick to a look behind you, when you use it with the rift it sets your view to behind but you can still move your head from that point of view (ie it's like you seat spins 180 instantly). Because AH3 maps head tracking 1:1 it is hard to get a good 6 view.
 - take some time to get used to it. Some of us have used VR for a long long time. I cannot go back to a regular screen for AH, even some wanky 4k monitor, I take the natural head movements/3D over a 2D flat screen anyday.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2016, 03:59:10 AM »
You would think they would have little fans built in
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Beau

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2016, 06:38:49 AM »
There are a few things that need to get better with VR and in time I am sure it will. Number 1 is the resolution. I almost sent it back when I saw how poor it is. But, after using it for the last couple of weeks I have to admit I would not go back to a 2d screen. This absolutely puts you into the fight that a screen cannot match.  Also it would be better with a bigger fov. What I did with looking back is set up 2 buttons on my stick. One to look back left and one for back right. This cures the problem of looking straight into the back of a seat. A major complaint now would be the fact that I cannot see hit sprites at all. I suspect that was the reason that the sprites were so large at first, but due to complaints they tamped them down. Not sure how to cure that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2016, 11:37:10 AM »
FOV is not adjustable. Aces High uses the native resolution of the Headset. Anti-aliasing can improve the picture quality.

To get the best picture with the Rift use the lens spacing app to adjust the headset position and tilt when you put it on. Eventually you'll know what the best picture looks like and you can adjust the position and tilt in game. Make sure the strap is as low as it can go in back of your head, it sits lower than a regular headband.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 11:38:44 AM by FLS »

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2016, 11:37:51 AM »

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2016, 12:59:28 PM »
I'm pretty much clueless about VR. Occulous Rift is the (one assumed) front runner of this technology but I'm seeing more & more companies making VR headsets at all different price points.

As far as a AH3 comparable VR headset, what does one look for, and what to avoid? I'm aware that a VR compatible vid card is a requirement.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2016, 04:04:27 PM »
The VR headset for AH3, right now, is the Rift.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2016, 08:22:15 PM »
Max, IMO there are only 2, maybe 3 if you count the Razer OSVR, which has a number of issues right now with in cockpit games.  The Vive and the Rift especially are the only 2 serious units available right now.  The Vive is great for stand up cocktail/look wife this is cool/etc sort of games, the Rift is by far superior for in cockpit games.  This includes driving games.  The Vive CAN work with some sims, but in every single one I've tried, which is all of the VR compatible flight and space sims, the Rift is superior.  It's also less expensive.  TBH I wouldn't have bought the Vive had I a chance to compare it to the Rift, but it was available in my area first so I bought Vives before the Rifts.  There is one single game I play that I keep the Vives for, and about a dozen I use the Rift for regularly.  AH3 also has the best VR flight experience out there right now. 

Offline rvflyer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2016, 01:23:48 AM »
I am using mine more and more in the game now. It is awesome to be flying in a realistic world and cockpit, so easy to see all the cockpit interior instead of looking at a flat screen monitor. It took me about a week gradually building up time with the rift to get over the nausea and I am a real life pilot. LOL I wish I could up the gamma a bit and I wish that it was higher resolution. I really like how easy it is to see right where yo are hitting a nme aircraft. I wish that HTC could make a virtual key board so I could just point and click what I need from the key board as not being able to see your keyboard is a great big disadvantage. I use a Thrustmaster WartHog HOTAS and can program many of the functions to the joy stick or the throttle but not all. I also do not like the ground tree flickering so much not sure it does that, kind of like when AHIII was in Beta and had a lot of tree flickering. any VR user have any idea?

Max, IMO there are only 2, maybe 3 if you count the Razer OSVR, which has a number of issues right now with in cockpit games.  The Vive and the Rift especially are the only 2 serious units available right now.  The Vive is great for stand up cocktail/look wife this is cool/etc sort of games, the Rift is by far superior for in cockpit games.  This includes driving games.  The Vive CAN work with some sims, but in every single one I've tried, which is all of the VR compatible flight and space sims, the Rift is superior.  It's also less expensive.  TBH I wouldn't have bought the Vive had I a chance to compare it to the Rift, but it was available in my area first so I bought Vives before the Rifts.  There is one single game I play that I keep the Vives for, and about a dozen I use the Rift for regularly.  AH3 also has the best VR flight experience out there right now.
Tour 70 2005 to present

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2016, 03:45:52 PM »
I've turned my texture size down to 512, seems to help with the flickering.

Offline CAV

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2016, 07:55:06 PM »

I use the HTC Vive and love it.

The best thing you can do is play around with supersampling till you get something playable and looks good.

Cav
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG301

Offline yipi

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2016, 12:49:16 AM »
I got the Rift VR system a week ago and its a lot of fun to fly with. My lensed are cloudy so I'm exchanging them for another set which I hope will be clear. I think the resolution is an issue but I'm not totally disappointed because we are buying in at the start of something that's going to be huge by 2020. I like the idea that I got in during its infancy and can use that to brag about in 10 years. VR will be the future.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2016, 02:30:45 PM »
I like the idea that I got in during its infancy and can use that to brag about in 10 years. VR will be the future.

Sorry bud, I had my first VR headset in the mid-90s (VFX1), and have been using AH2 with headsets like the Emagin Z800 since 2009 (and harassing HTC for native support since then).

<-----I get to brag about using it in its infancy  :devil

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2016, 08:12:20 PM »
Got an Oculus for Christmas. Will take some time getting acclimated but the wow factor is there from the start.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.