Author Topic: Eliminate Default Scaled/Lagged Control Deflection  (Read 3576 times)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Eliminate Default Scaled/Lagged Control Deflection
« on: December 31, 2016, 10:30:04 AM »
On the ramp in a Mustang (in game) there is a metered delay between full rudder control input and full rudder deflection.    Unless the P-51 has some sort of non-linear ratioed rudder pulley, which I doubt, then this is definitely wrong.  It's also squirrelly.

The rudder should move in proportion to pedal input and at the same rate. 

This may be a setting problem on my end, so apologies in advance, but I haven't found any way to fix it.     :salute
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 10:33:57 AM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
- THE DAMNED -
King of the Hill Champ Tour 219 - Win Percentage 100
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
Re: Eliminate Default Scaled/Lagged Control Deflection
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 10:34:53 AM »
Have you tried checking your advanced controls for that axis?
AH Supporter Since Tour 35

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 10:37:49 AM »
Have you tried checking your advanced controls for that axis?

I have.  Taking scaling to 100 percent across the board. 

My ailerons have the same setting and they work like they should. 

In another thread it was suggested that controls are modeled with a lag to simulate air loads.  But on the ramp that wouldn't be applicable.   

:headscratch:
”KILLER V”
- THE DAMNED -
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 12:14:01 PM »
In the settings folder find your rudderpeddles.jsm file. Open it with notepad. Find the following line and crop 5000-10000 off each end of the calibration line.

Uncropped line:

Rudder

These numbers represent your full left, centered and full right deflection when the calibration app tells you to perform those tasks. By shortening the ends you speed up how fast your rudder deflects relative to your hardware input.

My cropped siatek rudder peddle line:

Rudder

What this does is shortens the full deflection needed from your controller input to achieve the deflection you watch while you push your peddles. You will suddenly need much less input to snap out a full deflection because the numbers in the file now tell the game your full deflection is about 3\4 of what it used to be. This translates into a higher rate of deflection in real time. In the end you will have to apply scaling, dead band, and delay to slow it down or you will over control without trying. It will be necessary to have a very slowed down center transition so you have fine control of the first 1\4 deflection off center on each side. 
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2016, 12:19:25 PM »
Will give it a try.  Thanks for the input.   :salute
”KILLER V”
- THE DAMNED -

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2016, 01:26:19 PM »
OH!!

Once you do that, don't calibrate your rudder peddles or what you put in the file will be wiped out. Calibration is a way to let the game know what the maximum throw your potentiometers can register. Once you crop the ends of the calibration line, you never need to calibrate that device again. At which point any problems are the device or your PC having issues. Since I discovered this I have not calibrated my controllers since 2009.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2016, 02:56:36 PM »
Got it.  :aok  :salute
”KILLER V”
- THE DAMNED -

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2017, 03:54:07 PM »
I have.  Taking scaling to 100 percent across the board. 

My ailerons have the same setting and they work like they should. 

In another thread it was suggested that controls are modeled with a lag to simulate air loads.  But on the ramp that wouldn't be applicable.   

:headscratch:

If you could time the P-51 rudder full deflection on the ramp with and without propwash that would be useful. Timing full deflection at various speeds would be nice too.    :aok

To check the effect of settings just look at your raw and scaled output. You'll see that they both go to full at the same time regardless of scaling as long as damping is set to none. Damping will delay the control input in addition to the delay already applied to the rudder by the flight model.

Offline Dobs

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2017, 11:25:37 AM »
There is no lag in control movement due to air loads. There is resistance to movement, and at higher speeds, without hydraulic assist, there is air load limited movement range, i.e. you can't fully deflect elevator, etc...

Rudder utilizes the strongest muscles in your body to move...it will still be limited at speed...but there should not be a delay in movement to simulate air loads, as the real aircraft doesn't have a delay in movement WITH air loads.

GTX 980TI
Intel I7-6700K @4GHZ
32GB RAM
Fly at 3840x 2160 resolution

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2017, 04:19:55 PM »
If you look at the AH P-51 rudder you'll see it starts to move when the pedals start to move. There is no delay unless you set damping. The rudder won't keep up with a fast pedal movement but it isn't delayed from a lag in control input.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2017, 05:59:31 PM »
If you look at the AH P-51 rudder you'll see it starts to move when the pedals start to move. There is no delay unless you set damping.

That is not the point.

There is a delay/reduction in rate/response.

The rudder won't keep up with a fast pedal movement but it isn't delayed from a lag in control input.

If I go full deflection with the controls the rudder should match that deflection.   Fast pedal movement should be matched by the surface.  It is a direct link via cables.

Sitting on the ramp I move my rudder (control) to full deflection.   It takes the rudder surface half a second to reach full deflection.  This is simply inaccurate.   I have never seen an airplane with conventional flight controls do this--EVER.   If one exists I have not flown it yet.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 06:02:47 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
- THE DAMNED -

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2017, 06:17:05 PM »
vraciu you ever think that the delay is just a graphic representation issue and not an actual delay in the fm?

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2017, 06:18:46 PM »

Sitting on the ramp I move my rudder (control) to full deflection.   It takes the rudder surface half a second to reach full deflection.  This is simply inaccurate.   I have never seen an airplane with conventional flight controls do this--EVER.   If one exists I have not flown it yet.

I concur.  That lag in rudder response is a pain in the butt.  Even on the B-24 you could bang the rudders back and forth as quickly as you could stomp the pedals, not so in game.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2017, 06:20:40 PM »
vraciu you ever think that the delay is just a graphic representation issue and not an actual delay in the fm?

semp

I think it is a delay in the flight model as well.  I notice it the most during takeoff and landing where you can get  a little "behind" the airplane trying to keep it arrow straight on the roll.  The rudder response is not realistic.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline puller

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2017, 06:35:20 PM »
I think it is a delay in the flight model as well.  I notice it the most during takeoff and landing where you can get  a little "behind" the airplane trying to keep it arrow straight on the roll.  The rudder response is not realistic.

This
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde