Author Topic: WD Black?  (Read 1981 times)

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
Re: WD Black?
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2017, 12:35:00 PM »
This is all very bad news for me now. I've been using Seagate (7200rpm 12-2012) and Hitachi (7200rpm 8-2011) drives up until now. They're both getting a bit long in the tooth so I want a reliable backup. So yes, I pulled the trigger on the WD a week ago with same day delivery after no negative comments. Next month I'll be adding a Seagate external drive for future backup.

After mounting the drive and beginning transfers, I discovered problems right away with incomplete transfers of folder content. I've chalked this up to a bus or interrupt conflict but now I'm worried it may be more serious. After a week, the drive appears to be a bit nosier then my other two drives, hence my plan for a new Seagate.

In the meantime, I'm hoping it lasts long enough for temporary storage while I clean out the multiple, unorganized, backups on the other drives. If it bricks after that, it goes back as I won't put any personal info on it.
I have 3 or 4 various WD drives (Black, Blue, and Green) that I've been using for 4-5 years now, no issues.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2017, 01:11:30 PM »
Thanks Bizman, Spikes.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2017, 03:21:17 AM »
Same as Spikes, I've have 6 WD Blacks from 1 to 4 gb, from 5 years old to almost new, none have died or had noticeable decreases in performance.  I have a number of Seagate spinners too, a couple internal and at least a dozen external/backups.  Large number of Samsung Evo/Pros from 250 to 1gb, and a 950 and 960 m.2.  None have failed, but I've read reports of each and every one of those models failing.  Obviously some fail at rates higher than others.  IMO you should always have your important data backed up several times anyway, so even if "the best" drive dies, it's only a small financial hit, as the drives are pretty cheap now.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 03:30:42 AM by Gman »

Offline wrench

• Copper Member
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2017, 08:49:57 AM »
Glanced back through the last 15 years of RMAs for customers and myself.

For HDs only found WD (6 failed before the warranty expired).

One hard drive had valuable data on it so I ordered identical drive and swapped platters to get data back. Only do this in a clean room environment or on a laminar flow bench and wear your clean room garments!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 08:54:23 AM by wrench »
Leave that thing alone!
Relax said the Knight, man, we are programmed to receive.
You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.