Author Topic: Squad Message Of The Day  (Read 1293 times)

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
Squad Message Of The Day
« on: January 21, 2017, 10:58:15 AM »
  I can't get the Squad Message Of The Day to work.  I uploaded the file as instructed. I also typed a message in the space provided.  When I log in, I get a message box, but no message.  What am I missing?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 09:47:31 AM by Skuzzy »
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Re: Squad Message Of The Day
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 11:32:06 AM »
  I can't get the Squad Message Of The Day to work.  I uploaded the file as instructed. I also typed a message in the space provided.  When I log in, I get a message box, but no message.  What am I missing?

Are you the CO of the squad? If so, are you going to o'club/squads/ and actually uploading the "Squad motd" that you have created and placed in the appropriate folder?

Edit: by the way, once you have uploaded it, it is not instantly available, it takes a little bit before it shows, if I remember correctly
Hope this helps

TC
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 11:35:12 AM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 12:58:36 PM »
Are you the CO of the squad? If so, are you going to o'club/squads/ and actually uploading the "Squad motd" that you have created and placed in the appropriate folder?

Edit: by the way, once you have uploaded it, it is not instantly available, it takes a little bit before it shows, if I remember correctly
Hope this helps

TC

Yes to both.  I am the squad CO, and I went to o'club/squads/ and uploaded the "Squad motd".  Ever since then, when I log on, a box pops up, but has no text in it.  It has been about a week since I uploaded the file.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 03:40:03 PM »
Squad MOTDs are pretty fast so I think TC's getting old, just kidding buddy  :D
Then again, aren't we all  :old:
There is something wrong with them however, to the point where I'd call it a bug.
It does upload a MOTD but it does NOT display correctly.
I tried uploading a 'fuzeman.txt' MOTD consisting of:

<snip was longer but clipping some>

and it did infact upload and display a squad MOTD showing

and so on.

So it seems to NOT display the top line of text at a minimum.  I only got that to display once and could NOT get it uploaded and displayed again.
The single line option in the upload dialog screen does NOT give you an option to get to a line two because as soon as you hit enter it thinks your done and uploads the single line of text for your message.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 06:03:15 AM »
Nice find, fuzeman and mongoose

I have never used the in-game motd editor, I have always used notepad to write out any motd's and save them to the appropriate folder

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 09:56:24 PM »
  Yep, that did it.

I only had one line of text.  I put a row of asterisks as the first line, and then my text showed up like it was supposed to.

So the first line of text does not show.  Anything after that will show up in the message box.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 08:37:08 AM »
I'll Fixe that issue for the next patch.

Btw if anyone wants to try, make the first line a full url address like http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/board,195.0.html

That web page should then be displayed intead of the file.

P.S. Thats the change that created the bug.

HiTech

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 06:12:05 PM »
Btw if anyone wants to try, make the first line a full url address like http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/board,195.0.html
HiTech

That's a nice feature to have. Hopefully we wont loose that in some variety after the fix.
ADDED- just reread your text," instead of the file," that explains it, tried the first line as a address and a MOTD on second to see if it would show, which it didn't.
Web page displayed AOK though.
Favorite kind of doughnut?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 06:32:54 PM by fuzeman »
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2017, 06:18:21 PM »
Favorite kind of doughnut?

My guess would be cragganmore flavored.
AH Supporter Since Tour 35

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2017, 12:28:31 AM »

HiTech

Wow. I get to be part of a bug fix!  :banana:

While you're at it you might look at another issue. When you upload the text file there is no word wrap within the message window.   So if you don't put in a line feed or two, you have to scroll sideways to read the whole message.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com