Author Topic: vr hts vive and oculous question  (Read 3081 times)

Offline airguard

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.me109.net
vr hts vive and oculous question
« on: January 27, 2017, 04:45:15 PM »
just came in again and played, remember it as it was yesterday (been away alot of things, caused by medical issues and worn out  of ptsd ) . No technical problems but would like to know pros and cons with the htc vive, and oculous vr glasses ? Im old now and is curious  :salute

If wrong posted move it to the right place skuzzy :)

airguard
I am a Norwegian eating my fish, and still let my wife mess me around in stupid shops...

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: vr hts vive and oculous question
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 05:53:35 PM »
Oculus is awesome. It seems like the best choice now for cockpit sims.

You need a high end game PC to run it.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 05:45:28 AM »
The Rift is the better choice, of the two.  The software is much better than the Vive which allows butter smooth game play.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 06:32:37 PM »
Skuzzy's sentiment is echoed from other "cockpit" games creators.

The end user experience IMO is that the Rift is far, far superior to the Vive for any cockpit games, be they driving simulators, or flight sims.  There are certain important features in other games too that don't work, or work very well, with the Vive, while they work great with the Rift. 

The Rift is also less $, and has recently added its own touch controllers if you're into those, and you can also purchase a second camera, and use the Rift for standing/room experience and games.  That was the only advantage with the Vive, that it did standing/room games better, but now you CAN do that with the Rift if you so choose.  The only standing game I really played was an infantry combat game called "Onward", with the Vive, it was the only reason I kept my Vive.  Now with Occulus's upgrades and new controllers, it works for Onward as well, and it's better than the Vive.  So, adios Vives. 

Also, HTC's customer service is ridiculously bad.  You can't even CALL anyone from HTC, they are all in South America, most have 1/10 language skills IMO, and they fail consistently at every single thing I asked of them.  To give a quick idea, they took 7 weeks to send me an RMA they promised would be in my email box the next day, and after I told them forget it, I would just keep it(figured if I sent it in, it would be another gong show of them not responding for weeks  or months, and I'd be out the $1200 CDN), they launched an investigation thinking I had sent it in without the RMA 7 weeks ago, and then credited my card back the cost of 1 of the units.  That's how messed up they are on the people/customer service end of HTC.  There are other horror stories all over Reddit about them as well.

Offline CAV

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 08:00:40 PM »

At one point I had both, The Rift went back to "Best Buy". Out of the box the Rift works well, but if you have no fear of opening the software files, playing around with settings, I found the Vive does every thing better in the end. But it is a hard road to get there.

I use it in both Aceshigh & Iracing. That said, both worked great in Iracing, they have been at the VR game a lot longer than AH. Aceshigh need more work to get to the level of iracing.

But AH has just a few VR users... iracing has near a 1000 known players using VR.

CAV
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG301

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2017, 11:36:03 PM »
Hmm, how do you find it in iracing CAV?

I think I tried tracker once in iracing and it just did not serve me well but I love it in AH.  I have been having issues getting my FOV right in iracing recently and it is causing me a lot of frustration, maybe I need to look at VR

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 06:26:32 AM »
At one point I had both, The Rift went back to "Best Buy". Out of the box the Rift works well, but if you have no fear of opening the software files, playing around with settings, I found the Vive does every thing better in the end. But it is a hard road to get there.

I use it in both Aceshigh & Iracing. That said, both worked great in Iracing, they have been at the VR game a lot longer than AH. Aceshigh need more work to get to the level of iracing.

But AH has just a few VR users... iracing has near a 1000 known players using VR.

CAV

If we use your logic, then the Rift is years ahead of the Vive in experience.

By the way, we have had 3D view support for over 17 years.  Moving to a Rift or Vive type of product was a natural extension of our 3D view system.  We enhanced the system to make it easier to use for the VR user as we cannot assume they can get to the keyboard easily.

The Rift works better due to the driver support.  The driver is simply outstanding and makes use of some very complex algorithms to keep the data flowing smoothly. It is virtually impossible to get a stutter while using the Rift (not impossible, but you have to work at it).  Not so with the Vive.

The Vive software is coming along, but it is not near the level of the Rift software yet.

People will use what they want to use, for various reasons.  When I am asked which is the better product for our game, between the Vive and the Rift, it is the Rift, hands down.  It has nothing to do with our support, it has everything to do with the product support.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 06:30:30 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2017, 07:29:13 AM »
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline AAIK

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2017, 09:01:03 AM »

By the way, we have had 3D view support for over 17 years.  Moving to a Rift or Vive type of product was a natural extension of our 3D view system.  We enhanced the system to make it easier to use for the VR user as we cannot assume they can get to the keyboard easily.

How do you enable the 3d stereoscopic view for devices with 3d (like glasses/TV/etc)?

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2017, 12:04:18 PM »
How do you enable the 3d stereoscopic view for devices with 3d (like glasses/TV/etc)?

I've used various VR headsets since around 2008/2009, some worked with nvidia drivers, some needed 3rd party. Most supported using glovepie/freetrack/opentrack for 6DoF headtracking within AH.

Offline AAIK

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2017, 12:25:48 PM »
I've used various VR headsets since around 2008/2009, some worked with nvidia drivers, some needed 3rd party. Most supported using glovepie/freetrack/opentrack for 6DoF headtracking within AH.

I am just looking for the 3D stereoscopic stuff, not the headtracking.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2017, 05:36:48 AM »
If you are trying to use it with a 3D television, that is not going to happen.  Every device requires some software in order to display it on that device.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Heater

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2017, 06:07:52 AM »
Have both the Riff and the Vive now,
for Aces High, the Riff is easiest to set up and get working, With that said, if you have the power to run it and spend the time setting it up, I prefer the Vive.

But both work very well in Aces High and it come down to your own preference

As for cost when you add the controllers to the Riff the price is about the same.
HiTech is a DWEEB-PUTZ!
I have multiple personalities and none of them like you !!!

Offline AAIK

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2017, 08:51:00 AM »
If you are trying to use it with a 3D television, that is not going to happen.  Every device requires some software in order to display it on that device.

So no plans for a side-by-side, top and bottom, anaglyph or any other popular formats?

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2017, 10:27:51 AM »
What device(s) are you looking to get supported?

3D televisions are a dead end technology.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese