Author Topic: My first PC build  (Read 2864 times)

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: My first PC build
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2017, 11:01:39 AM »
All this made me think about the reasons why, and since I'm a simple person, my thoughts are those of a layman...

So, one thing I've learned is that heat is the enemy of many electrical components like capacitors. Another thing I've learned is that a system can get accustomed to a higher temperature and fail if it gets cooler all of the sudden. And I know that there's a fan speed controller in power supplies to control the cooling. And that bearings of rotating things such as fans have an optimal temperature where the lubrication works at its best to reduce friction and smooth rattling.

Now if only a small percentage of power is taken from the PSU, it supposedly runs relatively cool, the fan spinning only occasionally. Not only would that keep the bearings cold, also the variation in temperature would vary between the thresholds where the fan starts and stops. Based on the threshold levels for processors in the bios settings of motherboards the difference between hot and cold can be several tens of degrees. Wouldn't that cause variations in the output as well?

Likewise, if the PSU runs at a high percentage level, the fan would keep spinning to keep the temperature at an optimal level without major highs and lows, which again would reflect to the output.

I may be speaking about the egg rather than the hen, or I may be totally off the track here. As I said, this was just some logical thinking based on limited knowledge and no education. Please correct me if needed.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2017, 12:34:28 PM »
TDeacon, you've understood my thinking correctly. However, a single cold start isn't what I'm thinking about. It's the long term effects of a continuous waving between 20 and 50C instead of a constant 35C that worries me.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2017, 08:13:12 PM »
Looks pretty good.

I would seriously consider replacing one of the 1TB HDDs with an SSD,

OMG yes. He won't regret it.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2017, 09:23:33 AM »
TDeacon, I made a really bad mistake when I went to reply and hit the delete instead.  Here is your post.

Now if only a small percentage of power is taken from the PSU, it supposedly runs relatively cool, the fan spinning only occasionally. Not only would that keep the bearings cold, also the variation in temperature would vary between the thresholds where the fan starts and stops. Based on the threshold levels for processors in the bios settings of motherboards the difference between hot and cold can be several tens of degrees. Wouldn't that cause variations in the output as well?

Likewise, if the PSU runs at a high percentage level, the fan would keep spinning to keep the temperature at an optimal level without major highs and lows, which again would reflect to the output.

Bizman; if I understand you correctly, you are wondering whether the quality of the output power would be affected by internal PS temperature, as controlled by its fan?  The reviewer sort of covers this on the previous page covering cold testing, although he doesn't show scope traces.  Note that the efficiency is almost identical between the cold and hot testing tables.  In the absence of information to the contrary, as a purchaser all I can do is assume that the scope traces showing ripple + noise (defined in my comment below) would also be almost identical.   

Quote from: Skuzzy
    You and I are looking at two different images of the scope as it is quite clear the power at the 70-80% load is cleaner than at any other load.  Still noisier than I would prefer, overall.  I wonder if they used a ballast resistor in that load test?

Guys, here's how I am reading these scope traces, but keep in mind it's probably been 20 years since I used a digital scope.

Looking at this page (http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story4&reid=494), I am comparing the Test 1 (~100W) to the Test 4 (~800W) rows.  I am assuming that the reviewer has applied a DC offset to the traces, to allow better evaluation of the portion of the signal which is of interest.  IIRC, the deviation from a idealized DC horizontal line is caused by a combination of ripple and noise, and is normally measured peak-to-peak.  So at 3.3V, for Test 1 (~100W) I measure 5 mV, and for Test 4 (~800W) I measure 8 mV.  At 12V, for Test 1 (~100W) I measure 6 mV, and for Test 4 (~800W) I measure 9mV.  So from these scope traces, the ripple + noise is better at 100W (10% of rated capacitiy).  Is there a flaw in my reasoning?

MH  (EDIT to correct typo)
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2017, 09:25:49 AM »
You are reading the scope using absolute comparisons.  Assuming they used an analog load, rather than a digital load, you need to extrapolate the percentage of the ripple from load to load.  See if that clears it up.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2017, 12:33:14 PM »
You are reading the scope using absolute comparisons.  Assuming they used an analog load, rather than a digital load, you need to extrapolate the percentage of the ripple from load to load.  See if that clears it up.

I am comparing (ripple + noise) for 2 different 3.3V signals, and comparing (ripple + noise) for 2 different 12V signals.  Since the DC component is the same for both 3.3V signals and for both 12V signals, I say absolute comparisons are valid.  For example, the reviewer's scope traces for 3.3V show about 5 mV for 100W load and about 8 mV for 800W load, with the 100W load being less (which is better).  If I calculate percentages, I get 5 mV / 3.3 V x 100 = .15% for the 100W load.  8 mV / 3.3V x 100 = .24% for the 800W load.  Again, the 100W load value is less (which is better).  Same conclusion either way. 

Unless I have overlooked something, which does occur occasionally, I think we'll have to agree to disagree here.  Conclusion is of course based on the reviewer's data for ***this particular power supply***, and does not necessarily invalidate your statement about switching PS in general.  Thanks to everyone for their inputs to my questions.   :)

MH
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 12:42:12 PM by TDeacon »

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2017, 01:06:51 PM »
There is a big difference in an analog load ballast test of a switching power supply and a digital load test of a supply.  I do not have the time, right now, to explain exactly why that is.  If I get some time later, I will try and hit the highlights and explain why you are not getting the correct picture from what you are seeing.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2017, 05:29:39 PM »
The center-top-of-screen toggle text shows 100 fps offline and 143 fps online with my new 144 Hz monitor, with all settings on max.  Given my system (see OP) is this normal?

Thanks in advance,
MH
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 06:09:48 PM by TDeacon »

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2017, 06:37:40 AM »
Offline and online differ by the settings for the arena.  Online and offline use different settings, unless you have gone through and carefully matched the offline settings with the online arena settings.

Time of day will matter.  Clouds matter, and so on.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2017, 05:01:47 PM »
Hi Skuzzy,

What I meant was, is the 100-plus fps number at the top of my screen real?  (Yes or No). 

(Anything over 100 is good, as I never got better than 60 with my old PC, even when it was new 15 years ago). 

MH

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2017, 06:01:03 PM »
I went with a pretty similar list for my first build. I went with a 650w supply and it has served me well.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/eskimojoe4269/saved/CDnLkL

Even with the new 1080 TIs, I don't expect one would need more than 850w unless they're planning on doing an SLI setup later on.

I learned a lot from these guys. I would consider their opinions to be quite valid.
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok