Author Topic: P-51 with 4 CANNONS!!!  (Read 5809 times)

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Re: P-51 with 4 CANNONS!!!
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2017, 11:01:42 PM »
There is no discussing this as it's been done many times over the years.  Folks see 4 cannons and they wet themselves thinking that's the answer to all their cartoon flying issues.  If you are really going to push for an Allison Mustang then the A-36 or the MG armed RAF versions or 50 call armed USAAF versions would be better options just because of their numbers and historical use.

But again, this isn't about anything but wanting 4 cannons.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline 10thmd

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2017, 03:06:49 PM »
Test platform...

Corsairs had a variant with 4 20s as well....

I'd settle for some torque being modeled in the air:)

Are you saying torque isn't modeled?  IF you think so take up any 109 and turn off auto trim, engage wep and see what happens when that MW-50 hits.
- Der Wander Zirkus -
“You can all go to hell; I will go to Texas

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2017, 03:52:58 PM »
There is no discussing this as it's been done many times over the years.  Folks see 4 cannons and they wet themselves thinking that's the answer to all their cartoon flying issues.  If you are really going to push for an Allison Mustang then the A-36 or the MG armed RAF versions or 50 call armed USAAF versions would be better options just because of their numbers and historical use.

But again, this isn't about anything but wanting 4 cannons.

Damn right, Dan.  :aok

It's amazing how many people posting "facts" in this thread really have no idea what they're talking about.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2017, 11:34:39 PM »
So we're clear, we're talking about the British Mustang MkIa with the 4x20mm hispano cannons, the Allison engine that topped out at 382 mph, had the older canopy, and NO ordnance options.  About 111 ended up serialized with the RAF in this configuration - probably less actually made it in the air.

What exactly would make this version a more popular version compared to the P-51B that is mostly a hangar queen? And with it's smaller wing area, it's not going to turn as well as the P-51B/D and has a climb rate of 3000ft/s.

Smaller wing area? The wing never changed.

Thankfully, I know HTC will not be using any of the information in this thread should they ever add the P-51 Apache.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2017, 12:56:26 AM »
Smaller wing area? The wing never changed.

Thankfully, I know HTC will not be using any of the information in this thread should they ever add the P-51 Apache.

Just so you know, the Mustang fanatics pitch a fit when someone claims the Apache name.  Never happened other than a suggestion.  Officially the name was never adopted.  Trust me, I tried to suggest it and got clobbered :)

Push for the A36.  With the way the game is played, that one would get plenty of use with the dive brakes and dive bombing.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2017, 01:51:29 AM »
If the Allison Mustang gets modelled I expect it would have various armament options like the Hurricane Mk IIA/B/C or the I-16. I think the dive bomber would need a separate variant from the fighters though.

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2017, 02:03:42 AM »
If we get it with different loadout, everyone and his mother will take the cannon version, much like the rare 3-cannon LA-7, or the .50 call Lancaster.

If AH had a rare variant of p47 with 8 cannons with loads of ammo, it would be the only p47  you would ever see.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 02:05:32 AM by save »
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2017, 02:13:06 AM »
If the Allison Mustang gets modelled I expect it would have various armament options like the Hurricane Mk IIA/B/C or the I-16. I think the dive bomber would need a separate variant from the fighters though.

The A-36 is the only Allison bird we'd use as it's role was so much different than the other Mustangs.  An RAF version with the 303s would be interesting for events but I figure it would be a hanger queen.  The 50 cal version would be nice for the CBI, but again, how much arena use would it get?

I'm opposed to the cannon version as it's wished for purely for that reason, nothing else.  The numbers were limited as was their use.  The A-36 could at least sub for the RAF Allison bird or the CBI USAAF used bird.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline trap78

• AvA Staff Member
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2017, 10:33:52 AM »
If we ever get an Allison Mustang, the A-36 would make the most sense, not the four cannon bird. The 51-A would be cool, but the invader/apache is the biggest hole in the Mustang plane set. The late war MA "hangar queen" debate is irrelevant if the goal is to offer a good representation of combat aircraft that served in WWII.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2017, 01:15:07 AM »
I am a Mustang guy, and I'm telling you the first training units were told their plane was the "P-51 Apache," and likewise the ground attack guys (where the "A" comes from) were training in "A-36 Mustangs." The very first North American wartime poster for either airplane named it "P-51 Apache," which was the project name from the very beginning.

A-36 Mustang

P-51 Apache

I have seen the wartime poster for the original "P-51 Apache" and I am still looking for it online.

See "Kinzey, Bert. P-51 Mustang in Detail & Scale: Part 1; Prototype through P-51C. Carrollton, Texas: Detail & Scale Inc., 1996. ISBN 1-888974-02-8"

If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2017, 01:33:18 AM »
I believe the original poster was something like this one, but stating more clearly that the P-51 was an Apache, obviously.

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2017, 08:57:11 AM »
Looks like photobucket is telling everyone to photosuckit.
Game handle: HellBuck

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2017, 04:17:32 PM »
Yeah, and that sucks it alright. I'll just change services.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2017, 01:08:35 PM »
I have a book from 41 made for kids that refers to the coming P-51 as the Apache as well.  Some guy posted the official AAF position on it in an memo put out during the war and Mustang was it. 

I'm not arguing either way, just suggesting the real down in the dirt 51 guys get touchy about "Apache" :)

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2017, 08:38:17 PM »
In warbirds, it seemed that the A36 was the default plane.

If you installed warbirds and clicked "fly", you would be in the a36.

I rarely saw it flying in the arenas......except when I accidently selected it.