Author Topic: Buzzsaw Map - Yes or No?  (Read 1919 times)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: Buzzsaw Map - Yes or No?
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2017, 02:37:45 PM »
A quick one before I go to bed:

I assume by prime you mean most players - the years with most hours played in the LW arenas were 2007/2008.
Time spend in fighter mode 49%, attack mode 14%, bomber 16%, vehicle 21% in 2007. 46% fighter 16% attack 16% bomber 23% vehicle in 2008.
Last year: Time in fighter mode 40%, attack 15%, bomber 19%, vehicle 26%.

Actually very little difference percentage wise. Thanks!!
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2017, 02:58:29 PM »
I also agree with you on the M3s, Junky, but "suggestion"?  That's a bit of an understatement.  You've been harping on it for a long time pretty hard.  Just saying.

Kind of sounds like the kids, "Can we have a pool dad?  Can we have a pool dad?  Can we have a pool dad?" expecting them to give in eventually just through sheer repetition.

Wiley.
It was originally a suggestion and from the discussions had over it I know I'm right that it would benefit the community as a whole so I'm going to keep harping on it...don't know how that makes me sound like a kid more then say the what...90% of the community who bring up the Beaufighter every month.....

A single M3 with base supplies has as much single finger salute power over a base capture as the bomber boxes that wiped out the town in a single pass minutes earlier. During prime time with numbers, your base capture efforts deserve the single finger salute if members of your effort want everyone else but themselves to help shut down the ability to get supplies to the town.

During off prime time with very few people to help in a base capture, the M3 becomes as powerful as a tigerII in it's ability to dictate on the battle field. So a single lone greifer can follow you around and single finger salute your time invested efforts into one giant FooYouuuu with a single finger salute on the "drop supplies button". For the greifer, loosing an M3 costs nothing and there is an unlimited supply in the hanger. For a limited number of players trying to capture a field, there are many duties and minor details a field capture requires attention to. The greifer by choosing an M3 versus a fighter or GV from the local hanger is being smart and safe in his own mind. While being a spineless coward in the minds of the players trying to capture the field at a time of the day very few opportunists exist to slaughter defenders. 

I believe this is the gist of what originally happened to Junky on a number of occasions during off prime hours. It's like that historical period in Japan when any low born rice farmer with a muzzle loader could slaughter a samurai on the battle field with a single finger salute. And the samurai complained in about the same manner Junky does with reverent concern for the spirit of their martial culture being at stake. And they called for the banning of firearms and restrictions on what the lowly rice farmers could do on the battle field. A quality and purity argument versus numbers right up until Tokugawa Ieyasu won sekigahara with massed single finger salutes against the quality and purity of the martial way samurai.
This is all just not true...happened back when off hours matched closer to todays prime time numbers and it also happened during those times prime time...sooo yea wrong.

Why do you seek acceptance of your suggestions from the community when they have no power to either implement or deny them?  Not bashing your ideas, just trying to understand your process.
Because Hitech said, during the 12 hour scenario, "You guys know more about MA game play then me these days"...which makes me assume he is going off what he hears from players....I'm not seeking acceptance from anyone, I'm trying to convey what seems like common sense to me (Fighter inbound/Tank inbound = a decent number in the community grab an M3...That's the common sense part I'm talking about). Anyone who would say -1 to that is just being stubborn...it wouldn't effect anyone negatively, they would just have to change tactics to what they once were here in AH. I believe there is a lot of players here on the BBS who at EVERY single suggestion they think it's an attack(bustr) on HTC and they are the ones who say AH is fine the way it is over and over just to say it...yea AH is a good game, but it can be better and honestly nerfing town resupply is a generally easy way to do it....anyone who's been here a while will say(unless again they are being stubborn) it's more difficult to find a fight these days then it used to be.

I'm ranting...back on topic...The 2 ports on every front should be made into Airfields so we don't have to constantly fight in puffy ack.

DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2017, 03:08:59 PM »
I'm not seeking acceptance from anyone...

Of course you are.  You are seeking acceptance/implementation of your suggestion and the only person that can do that is Hitech.  So why don't you engage him directly?
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2017, 04:14:12 PM »
Of course you are.  You are seeking acceptance/implementation of your suggestion and the only person that can do that is Hitech.  So why don't you engage him directly?

You mean..... buy a ring and drop to one knee while on a date?   :eek:
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2017, 06:34:38 PM »
 Beaufighter
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2017, 07:17:39 PM »
Or it's a result of sinking overall numbers and not the cause of it? As in when the population is low and little actual fight going on, a player is more likely to hop in a tank, a bomber or a heavy attacker to smash some objects than going into fighter mode and fly circles until more people log on.
But then, fighter mode usage has been going down slowly almost since the beginning. And yet numbers went way up over the years. (Early 2001: 60% hours in fighter mode, about 2400 players with min 1 kill or death - early 2008 46%, about 6600 pilots with min 1kill or death)
Correlation or causalty - often difficult to tell. We had been there before...

And a general word on loss of excitement - Those of us who had been here for many years have to keep in mind the "been there, done that" effect. Even if numbers and gameplay would get back to the 2006 level, I would never get back the same level of excitement I had 10 years ago. Because I have seen it all. It would basically need a new game for getting back excitement like that.

Those are good stats and makes sense but I think there is correlation.
I personally believe it's the cause of it. Most people joined this game because of fighter air combat. That's what drove them to the game. Their wasn't much WW2 air combat competiton on the computer that was better. Then, and this just my opinion, the 2 arena split caused mass distruction. Other maps weren't as actionable. Structural strat adjustments were made. There were NO good NEW maps.  Even though the #s were higher for a good bit of time due to progessive growth. I think eventually when squads just couldn't handle being in 2 seperate rooms, they quit. When the fighter action slowed down, and squads stopped attacking bases as often. There wasnt much activity around the map. This made people like me log off. I just cannot be in tanks and bombing is just slow.... It's too slow for me. So people like me log off. When there is less overall fighter action on the map, the #s die. That's honestly the reason why furballs contain so many players on the map. Most people enjoy furball action in the MA. The #s prove that most people love fighter action. Now a days, when off hours comes around and it's slow. It's a boring atmosphere (too big of maps) for most of the players who enjoy playing this game for fighter action and thefore the fights are smaller and less actionable. The competition also ate up the European population, which helped kill the #s in "off hours".

Just my rationale for playing the game a while and understanding how fights works in AH in the MA.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 07:22:06 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Online Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2017, 01:06:24 AM »

"In many advisors there is much wisdom."
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
- THE DAMNED -
King of the Hill Champ Tour 219 - Win Percentage 100
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2017, 01:29:23 AM »

Who cares how many times he expresses his opinion here?  Are you the opinion police?  Forced to respond to him?  Is there a personal vendetta here?

HiTech is more likely to change things based on a agreement between players that it is bad gameplay, with facts of course.

This happened recently with resupply to strats, in a pretty extensive thread.  The outcome of that was, why take time doing something when 1 guy can undo another persons 1 hour of work in 5 minutes.  Guess, what, it was adjusted.

I quoted you, but I guess this response could go towards Wiley too.

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2017, 07:41:44 AM »
This happened recently with resupply to strats, in a pretty extensive thread.  The outcome of that was, why take time doing something when 1 guy can undo another persons 1 hour of work in 5 minutes.  Guess, what, it was adjusted.

Now we have the Buzzsaw Map with convenient spawns into the Strats.  So, one person's 10 minutes of work takes an hour to undo. 
Unintended consequences....
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 07:44:34 AM by popeye »
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2017, 07:46:38 AM »
Who cares how many times he expresses his opinion here?  Are you the opinion police?  Forced to respond to him?  Is there a personal vendetta here?

HiTech is more likely to change things based on a agreement between players that it is bad gameplay, with facts of course.

I quoted you, but I guess this response could go towards Wiley too.

Hehe you're an angry little man.  I could care less how many times he posts about here.  Just offering advice for possibly a more direct route to either the implementation of his idea or a reason why it can't be implemented.  I have no opinion one way or the other in regards to M3s.   
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #70 on: February 09, 2017, 09:50:39 AM »

Nope.  But spammy repetitiveness of the same points hasn't really had much success swaying HT in the past.  See ENY and the 12 hour rule.  It dropped to 6 hours but that's still effectively meaningless compared to what the people who wanted the change desired.

And he seems less likely to do so when people keep belaboring the same points over and over and over when he doesn't agree with them.  Junky does have good points.  HT's heard them.  Apparently they haven't swayed him.  Based on past behavior, do you really think bringing them around over and over again is going to have positive impact on the issue?

By blaming every ill in the game on it and constantly soapboxing about that one single issue regardless of what the thread is about, you reduce your impact on the conversation to the level of noise, rather than getting your point across.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2017, 11:11:46 AM »
Originally I was bringing up another problem using the resupply nerf as an example...just putting that out there. Another example of that problem....which is players complaining about people making suggestions about changing gameplay is the scaling of icons thread...it's ok if you think the game is fine...but that's not a reason why the game can't change. That mindset amongst a lot of the community is a toxic mindset which is not just in Aces High but many games...just very much more prevelant here because this is the only game a lot of AHers play.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2017, 12:05:27 PM »
Wife is out, I finally have the whole night for myself!  :lol 3 weeks of non play due to RL  ... I log in ... and it's that damn map. :embarrassed: Boooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #73 on: February 10, 2017, 12:12:12 PM »
Why even have strats?  The first thing every country does is slam the strats.  During country imbalance hours, this is devastating.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #74 on: February 10, 2017, 01:14:17 PM »
I personally have never cared which map was up since I have been here until now.  I actively dislike this map.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11