Author Topic: Droptanks arn't flammable.  (Read 915 times)

Offline AAIK

• Nickel Member
Droptanks arn't flammable.
« on: February 13, 2017, 12:47:34 PM »
I have never seen droptanks go on fire, is this on purpose? Did they historically do that when shot?

Offline Dobs

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
Re: Droptanks arn't flammable.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 01:22:07 PM »
Usually when empty AKAK...if a plane was shooting HEI, or incendiary, then potential was there as well.

There is a guncamera video out there of a guy shooting at an enemy aircraft and then it explodes....so he stops..but when the fireball clears it was just the droptank going boom!  I'll see if I can run it down!
GTX 980TI
Intel I7-6700K @4GHZ
32GB RAM
Fly at 3840x 2160 resolution

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 02:07:04 PM »
I have never seen droptanks go on fire, is this on purpose? Did they historically do that when shot?

They explode when they hit the ground after you drop them.  Pretty nice fireball.  I doubt that the droptank when carried is part of the plane's damage model however, which is probably why we don't see in game the type of thing that Dob's video will show.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 12:26:57 PM »

Yes.  There is a story in Bud Anderson's book where he tells the story of him and Chuck Yeager dropping their drop tanks and then strafing them on the ground to make them blow up.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline hgtonyvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 12:33:03 PM »
Yes.  There is a story in Bud Anderson's book where he tells the story of him and Chuck Yeager dropping their drop tanks and then strafing them on the ground to make them blow up.
lol...that's something I would do.. :devil
CO of the Hell Hounds. In Game: Rud3boi
*Ain't no grave can hold my body down.*

Top German Ace of Pantelleria 1943
            6./JG 27- 109G-2