Author Topic: Collisions  (Read 2572 times)

Offline Randall172

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
Re: Collisions
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2017, 10:24:15 PM »
the server doesn't decide if/when players collide, its just a relay?

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2017, 10:50:50 PM »
That's about it. If you experience a collision that gives you damage it means it happened on your computer. You may have experienced flying close to another plane and they experience a collision but you do not. Bullets are similar. What you hit on your screen counts. On the other guys computer he might see tracers behind him while he gets shot up by you. I always wondered why nobody complains about it looking like the other guy has no shot and yet he gets you, happens all the time.
Pies not kicks.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2017, 03:32:09 AM »
Lunatic...don't be concerned with the fact that a collision by definition is between two objects.  Just think of it as one of you had your eyes closed so they didn't see it and therefore are not affected.

If you don't apply logic to this it makes perfect sense!  Just remember he with best connect and fastest computer loses....

That is false. Computer and internet speed make no difference. It's simply whether or not you hit something on your PC.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2017, 03:39:08 AM »

Exactly. And that is why this

Just remember he with best connect and fastest computer loses....

is a false statement.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2017, 06:54:04 AM »
That is false. Computer and internet speed make no difference. It's simply whether or not you hit something on your PC.

No, not totally false.   On average it is true but not at the extreme ends of play.  The image total display lag figures in which was not mentioned.  You see it happen when a player gets a shot before your image displays the player has a shot.  It does not happen often but it does happen.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2017, 09:01:56 AM »

No, not totally false.   On average it is true but not at the extreme ends of play.  The image total display lag figures in which was not mentioned.  You see it happen when a player gets a shot before your image displays the player has a shot.  It does not happen often but it does happen.

Internet speed has zero ,nada has nothing to do with if you collide or not. It is exactly as if you were playing on your system  only against an AI and you collided with it. The only difference is the AI does not take damage do to the collision.

HiTech

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2017, 01:36:10 PM »
  Just remember he with best connect and fastest computer loses....

There may be advantages to having a steady long lag........ ( but it's not about collisions)

......... And it's only provided you know it and your opponent does not
..........And you're in a high speed high angles combat
.......... Then our laggy guy knows what angles give you guns on and you are not aware how  those shots he  fired at something way behind you are scoring hits! So you continue to present him wth your target.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 01:37:46 PM by Tilt »
Ludere Vincere

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2017, 01:37:28 PM »
Well then I'm getting a new computer because it is quite obvious the one I have now hates me    :airplane: :joystick: :noid
:aok
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2017, 01:40:15 PM »
There are two different collision messages.

You collided with player.

Player collided with you.

You may see one or the other or both messages.

When you see both messages you both get damaged.
but I'm the only one crashing in to the ground
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2017, 01:44:21 PM »
Lunatic, read and understand Lusche's post.  If you were in the P47 and saw the P51 where it is from the P47's perspective in the second picture, would you want your plane to go down?  I know I sure wouldn't.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2017, 03:36:48 PM »

Then you're the only one that had a collision and you only saw one of the messages.

Or, you both had collisions and you both saw both messages, but only you had critical damage from the collision.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2017, 03:57:10 PM »

You're describing the effect of travel time on the internet.

Theoretically if your monitor lag was greater than your connection lag you might see an exception.

My comment was completely correct in context. If you have to take it out of context to criticize it that's a clue.   :D

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2017, 04:49:20 PM »

Stop running into people and you wont have this problem. Im serious, If you dont collide on your screen (your computer does NOT detect a collision) then you will never take damage from a collision. You can still take damage from some bozo spraying his cannon fire all over the place as you avoid running in to him, but you will not get the collision message/damage.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2017, 05:48:47 PM »
Stop running into people and you wont have this problem. Im serious, If you dont collide on your screen (your computer does NOT detect a collision) then you will never take damage from a collision. You can still take damage from some bozo spraying his cannon fire all over the place as you avoid running in to him, but you will not get the collision message/damage.

That's not correct. You can't always avoid a collision. You can get hit from behind or below by someone on your PC without seeing them coming while they miss you on their PC. It's just a matter of aircraft position on each PC.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2017, 06:00:37 PM »
That's not correct. You can't always avoid a collision. You can get hit from behind or below by someone on your PC without seeing them coming while they miss you on their PC. It's just a matter of aircraft position on each PC.

So ..... situational awareness is the key. (Not that I've ever mastered that - but then, I've never whined about collisions - not once.)  :cool: :airplane: :old: