Author Topic: TIME TO KILL BUZZSAW!!!!  (Read 11118 times)

Offline OldNitro

• Nickel Member
Re: TIME TO KILL BUZZSAW!!!!
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2017, 11:24:34 AM »
Most terrain builders are paying customers.

But I'd bet there are far more paying customers, than just the terrain builders.
In fairness, their $ are paying for the party, and definitely validates their opinions!

Online Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2017, 11:43:10 AM »
The poll should only be open to those that make terrains.

That makes no sense to me, Bruh. 
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
325th VFG - "The Checkertails"
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2017, 11:49:52 AM »
I like it
 :salute
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2017, 01:52:08 PM »
It's apparent to me that some map makers don't understand the flow of action well in the actual game play. That's why I think a team of 5-6 people need to be apart of making maps, not just one person.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2017, 02:46:00 PM »
I made a terrain once..
It was real meaty and gorgeous..
I liked a good red with it..
Good on crackers or a crusty bread
Hold on..
It was actually a terrine..
Mmmmmmmmmmmm
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2017, 03:24:21 PM »
There are a couple of maps I dislike- Buzzsaw and to a lesser extent CraterMA.

I appreciate it takes people time and effort to create these maps, but isn't going to change the way i feel about them.
"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2017, 04:38:17 PM »
That makes no sense to me, Bruh.
Bruh?... Bruh?
Good god V... are still living in the 90s  :headscratch:
"Would you tell me, please,
 which way I ought to go from here?
 That depends a good deal on where
 you want to get to. Said the cat."
    Charles Lutwidge Dodgson a.k.a. Lewis Carroll

Online Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2017, 04:58:45 PM »
Bruh?... Bruh?
Good god V... are still living in the 90s  :headscratch:

A nod to the traditional AH greeting from The Morning Crew (tm) -- Nrshida, OBX, Min (MaX), and Killer V, among others.   "What's up, bruh?"

:salute
”KILLER V”

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2017, 05:41:14 PM »
I think the person who created buzzsaw thought it would motivate game flow in some manner, and the players started out doing exactly that with it because it was the obvious easy path on an unknown terrain. Once it was around past that getting up to speed period. The players discovered all of the things about the unique 3D presentation to avoid loosing, having to fight at a disadvantage, and adapted all of their usual MA strategies to the terrain. You need a hoard to simply area dominate the weird topographical layout because today more than ever players won't mix it up without an obvious advantage. And that tends to make people become fatigued because it's only fun for that hoard.  If you really look at the topography it should give groups of players the opportunity to have small furballs and GV battles distributed around the terrain. Maybe back in the AH1 era this terrain would have been a success and utilized for small cozy distributed fights.

It's possible the terrain creator was trying to help the community change how they played the game from numbers domination to fun distributed fights. When the numbers are equal in fights over a base air and ground, it is a fun terrain to fight on reminiscent of Mindnao. The terrain has too many altitude spring boards for a sudden big group to whizz on the terrain.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2017, 05:57:35 PM »
I think the person who created buzzsaw thought it would motivate game flow in some manner, and the players started out doing exactly that with it because it was the obvious easy path on an unknown terrain. Once it was around past that getting up to speed period. The players discovered all of the things about the unique 3D presentation to avoid loosing, having to fight at a disadvantage, and adapted all of their usual MA strategies to the terrain. You need a hoard to simply area dominate the weird topographical layout because today more than ever players won't mix it up without an obvious advantage. And that tends to make people become fatigued because it's only fun for that hoard.  If you really look at the topography it should give groups of players the opportunity to have small furballs and GV battles distributed around the terrain. Maybe back in the AH1 era this terrain would have been a success and utilized for small cozy distributed fights.

It's possible the terrain creator was trying to help the community change how they played the game from numbers domination to fun distributed fights. When the numbers are equal in fights over a base air and ground, it is a fun terrain to fight on reminiscent of Mindnao. The terrain has too many altitude spring boards for a sudden big group to whizz on the terrain.

Maybe that is the case but this map only pushes the players into the middle and ignores the outside of the map which has bases that are way too far apart, and maybe not enough bases. This only leaves fight build up in the middle of the map, which cannot always guarantee a fun fighting area. I haven't even flown on the outside of the middle because it's too far and the fights are small.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Online Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2017, 06:04:17 PM »

It's possible the terrain creator failed on an epic level.

Now, when there are 600 players online you may have a better result...
”KILLER V”

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2017, 12:33:00 PM »
I do not want to slag the creator of Buzzsaw....they put a lot of work into it and I am sure they thought it was a worthwhile effort. This one just did not pan out. That happens. In any case it's just not a popular terrain and I really dislike it. The altitudes are extreme, there are too many canyons and the CV fights are limited to tiny specs of water and the player #s with it is also a problem.
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2017, 01:03:58 PM »
Buzzaw is not worse than any other map, just different.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2017, 01:32:28 PM »
The most annoying thing about Buzzsaw and other circular maps is that you can't navigate by comparing the terrain with the map as you would in real life. "Let's get the base at the fourth sawtooth left from the top! --- Now I've totally lost count... But no worries, I've got this magnificent example of Secret German Engineering of WW2, the GPS clipboard map! Landmarks are so last season..."

Admitted I know very little about tactics, but to me all the saw teeth look similar. Are some of them strategically more important than others? At least it seems very unlikely to grow fond of a certain part of it. "Tooth 11 is my home which I will defend with all my powers, or try my best to take it if it's owned by the enemy!"
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2017, 02:20:15 PM »
Until you have built a terrain, you have no idea what goes into it or is required by the rules. There are requirements/rules to building a terrain for the main arena. If you do not know those requirements then you are unable to actually say what should and should not be in a terrain.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)