Author Topic: Match Play Scoring  (Read 1160 times)

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Match Play Scoring
« on: February 28, 2017, 12:45:31 PM »
For anyone who doesn't know where to find this..

http://ahghelp.hitechcreations.com/help/index.php?mact=MatchScore%2Cmcec94%2Crank%2C0&mcec94returnid=139&mcec94dbid=2&mcec94mt=Head+to+Head&mcec94gameid=&submit=Submit

My thoughts

1. What is M-Kills??? Manuever kills? Where the other person crashed or went away from the fight??

2. Do you plan on keeping this as a running rank/score or have tours like the MA?

3. Do you plan on creating an overall rank? I believe with this structure a player could easily manipulate the score(kind of similar to what I was talking about with the MA score). I could go in there and fight 2 weekers get 500 wins and zero losses and be number 1 overall but Bruv119 went in there and went 300-122 vs players like Rud3boi/Lazer/Joachim and be ranked 50 even though it takes more skill to achieve Bruv's results(in this example).

I would suggest it being on a running ladder.....everyone starts with X points. Initial unranked fights are for Y points until you fight say 10 fights, then you become ranked. Then the number of points you and your opponent are fighting for are based off your rank or lack there of.

Example (numbers would have to be found through some sort of algorithm...many games have similar styles for ranking...IE StarCraft)
Rank 1 pilot has 500 points vs Rank 50 pilot with 157 points. The rank 1 pilot is fighting to take 5 points or lose 15 points while the Rank 50 pilot is fighting for 15 points or lose 5.

If the rank 1 guy wins he would then have 505 points and the Rank 50 would have 152 points...Rank 1 guy loses he would have 485 points and the rank 50 guy would have 172 points.

This would either force players to grind against lesser skilled players(so put in a lot of hours) to get a high score or be competitive and fight to win against the higher skilled players.

My initial thoughts on the score page. :salute
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Re: Match Play Scoring
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 12:49:46 PM »
I don't like being scored at all.  I am in there hanging it all out, going for broke, win, lose or draw, even against guys I know will beat me 99 out of 100.   So for my being a good sport I wind up looking like a chump.   :cry
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 12:54:07 PM »
I don't like being scored at all.  I am in there hanging it all out, going for broke, win, lose or draw, even against guys I know will beat me 99 out of 100.   So for my being a good sport I wind up looking like a chump.   :cry
I can understand that but you wouldn't have to know your score at all unless you looked at it.

Also to go along with the "tour" lengths, I think quarterly tours would be best...Why? Because 4 sets of ranks lends itself to a bracket and I personally think Aces High needs another dueling bracket....same with Squad dueling bracket.
DFC Member
"Yikes"

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 12:56:10 PM »
I thought score ruined the MA?  :headscratch:
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 12:58:08 PM »
It's not scoring, it is simply the rank in each statistical catagory. Click on the columns header to rank by that category.

Yes M-Kills is Maneuver.

HiTech

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 01:12:35 PM »
I thought score ruined the MA?  :headscratch:
I never thought it ruined it, I think it's not competitive enough because it's easily manipulated...now some of those people going for high fighter rank definitely have dweebery type tactics but people are going to do that with or without score.

It's not scoring, it is simply the rank in each statistical catagory. Click on the columns header to rank by that category.

Yes M-Kills is Maneuver.

HiTech
I want to be RANK 1 so bad in 1v1s :rofl :rofl :rofl...seriously I haven't wanted anything so bad in Aces High ever since before I won a KOTH like 5 years ago :airplane:

If the day comes that you add a rank system please please please make it ultra competitive. :rock :rock :rock
DFC Member
"Yikes"

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 02:06:24 PM »
I can understand that but you wouldn't have to know your score at all unless you looked at it.

I don't.   But others do.   The only place I even remotely care about score is the MA, and even that not so much except to compare myself to how I was when I started. 
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 02:39:05 PM »
people keep score in this game? really? I thought it was about fun!  :D

maneuver kills? does that mean they didn't merely shoot them in the face, but rather actually have a real dog fight and shoot them from the 6 oclock position?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 02:41:08 PM by captain1ma »

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2017, 02:52:11 PM »
people keep score in this game? really? I thought it was about fun!  :D

maneuver kills? does that mean they didn't merely shoot them in the face, but rather actually have a real dog fight and shoot them from the 6 oclock position?
No they crashed or went outside the border
DFC Member
"Yikes"

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2017, 03:56:42 PM »
I like the idea of score in the match play arena. I can finally achieve #1 in a rank lol!
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2017, 04:29:59 PM »
dang Maneuver..... I thought it was when you scared the crap out of someone.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2017, 05:16:11 PM »
If I enter there, and then get slotted into a rank, I'll never go in there again. I agree with the comment that you go on there to let it all hang out. Win, lose, or draw I don't care. But I won't go in there if I'm to be graded.

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943.  Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2017, 06:47:10 PM »
My initial thoughts on the score page.

FWIW, please note my objection to rank in the Match Play arena.  I believe it both encourages bad behavior (HOs, as a wild example) while discouraging new players who are checking out a free arena.  Rank is for the MAs, not the boutique arenas.

- oldman

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2017, 09:13:05 PM »
Its not a "score" page, nor really a "rank" page there is no "over-all" ranking. All it is is a stats page.

If people want to build a "ranking" system out of duels..... well thats just said.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2017, 09:36:21 PM »
I don't like the idea of scoring in the DA - match play. It's creates unnecessary dogma and extra tension. It should be for fun unless they want to score on their own merit. I don't think any score statistics should even be visible. In other words all counters should be disabled. It makes score more exciting to play for in the MA. Score brings a lot of emotional psychology into the mix when it's better off if both players are scored equally (no rank) entering the DA.

The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion