Author Topic: Match Play Scoring  (Read 1162 times)

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Re: Match Play Scoring
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2017, 04:59:14 PM »
The drop down menus don't appear scrollable to me. Specifically the vs. aircraft type. Would also be nice if the dialog box was size enabled, might be my resolution but to get everything properly sized (menus) inside the current box, text is very small. 

+1 for keeping the stats visible/available.

Ctrl Mouse wheel

Offline gflyer

• Copper Member
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2017, 05:23:42 PM »
Didn't work, maybe a mouse setting for me.  CTL and mouse wheel just adjusted the zoom box.  Will play with it more later.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 06:21:42 PM by gflyer »

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2017, 06:56:03 PM »
I had some fun fights with Hitech in there this evening. If you see a Yak 9T watch out!! He flies the big cannon ;)
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2017, 08:22:00 PM »
Again your arrogance out flies your brain. As you quoted this line of my post....

"If people want to build a "ranking" system out of duels..... well thats just said."

I was saying that creating a ranking system out of the dueling arena is sad, NOT that the dueling arena, KOTH, ladders or any other type of competition or fighting is sad.

As I said, the competition IS the fighting, NOT the ranking. Any and all ranking can and is gamed, but going head to head in a duel is a skill and is competition.
The ranking is an incentive to compete you big dummy...you must not play ANY other video game, a lot of the biggest ones are so big not because of graphics they are so large because of a RANKING system which has grew them into what are called E sports....example CSGO(or league of legends or DOTA2 ect ect ect) has CRAP graphics compared to call of duty but the ranking system is so complex it addicts players....your comment saying "its sad" is showing your ignorance in the gaming industry when it comes to rankings to competitive skill based games(which Aces high is a skill based simulator with a competitive scene) a ranking system, which nobody would notice if they didnt want to(just like the MA) may attract more players BUT like I said before your ignorant comment there are variables which you couldn't account for unless you restricted the system....which I doubt Hitech wants to do....he'd probably rather see another another event made.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2017, 08:24:24 PM »
The ranking is an incentive to compete you big dummy...you must not play ANY other video game, a lot of the biggest ones are so big not because of graphics they are so large because of a RANKING system which has grew them into what are called E sports....example CSGO(or league of legends or DOTA2 ect ect ect) has CRAP graphics compared to call of duty but the ranking system is so complex it addicts players....your comment saying "its sad" is showing your ignorance in the gaming industry when it comes to rankings to competitive skill based games(which Aces high is a skill based simulator with a competitive scene) a ranking system, which nobody would notice if they didnt want to(just like the MA) may attract more players BUT like I said before your ignorant comment there are variables which you couldn't account for unless you restricted the system....which I doubt Hitech wants to do....he'd probably rather see another another event made.

Again you miss the point. Carry on, we'll talk again once you mature.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2017, 09:12:38 PM »
Vraciu,

Different personality types = different expectations from the game.

DA types like the notches on their pistol handle, it's part of being a gunslinger. If you are not pure DA type, and your skill is not up to par, you may be embarrassed by the lack of notches on your handle. Some of them are naturals with computer games and some enjoyed working their kesters off to achieve their notches because it gave them a mountain to climb. That does not mean they are a better man than you in real life, and no one in the real world cares about their abilities in a kiddy game.

Personally, the people that matter what is thought of you, will be those very gunslingers who always respect a player who keeps getting back up and going at it again. How many of them do you really believe will read the score sheet every night then run into MA and start telling the arena on 200 you are a worthless weenie with a 0-100 loss record? And the passing transient who does, anyone with two rocks to pound into sand will be thinking, wow wonder what he's learning dueling with those guys.

I'm not there for scalps.  I'm not there for score.  I'm not there for rank.  Im not there for bragging rights.   Im there to fight and leave everything on the table.   

I will be at the bottom of every category probably.   Knowing that is a disincentive to show up.   I want to fight and have fun without my score/rank (or lack thereof) publicly displayed.    It's a distraction.    Even seeing my score and thinking it was private was a disappointment.   I don't want to know my wins/losses.   I just want to have fun.

-1000 to public rank in Dueling.  I want to be able to opt out of it.  I'm not interested in score there any more than I was in the free 8-player arena days.   

But since I'm against it we can be assured everyone will be kneejerk in favor of it. 

:bhead
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 09:15:58 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2017, 09:31:08 PM »
The ranking is an incentive to compete

Simply by entering Match Play, you've shown your willingness to compete.

If you mean, let's draw people in from the MAs with an incentive to become honchos in the Match Play arena....I don't believe the Match Play arena is intended to drain off MA folks.

Score, or stats, whatever, in the Match Play arena, to me, is like landing kills in the old DA.  Why?  You're there to have a fight, not to show people how good you are.  The fight itself does that.

- oldman

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2017, 10:18:34 AM »

Simply by entering Match Play, you've shown your willingness to compete.

If you mean, let's draw people in from the MAs with an incentive to become honchos in the Match Play arena....I don't believe the Match Play arena is intended to drain off MA folks.

Score, or stats, whatever, in the Match Play arena, to me, is like landing kills in the old DA.  Why?  You're there to have a fight, not to show people how good you are.  The fight itself does that.

- oldman
Like the old dueling arena had a following which boosted MA numbers...now it's free which gives the game a self advertising effect....Fugitive saying a ranking system is sad is his ignorance in the gamer community...a lot want a ranking system....the fact the top 10 in the MA is similar every month is proof of that. Now I've already conceded that it wouldn't work because of variables but I'm pointing out he's clueless.
DFC Member
"Yikes"

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2017, 10:41:32 AM »
could it be that there are only 10 players who are stil naive enough to think having their name at the top of a list is important?

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2017, 10:52:47 AM »
Could it be that players play the way they want and the score is a result of their gameplay, that their gameplay is not a result of their score?

I think there are far too many that think that most people play for score.

Look at it this way, I normally have a high K/D because I don't like being shot down, not, I don't like being shot down because it affects my score.

Or, I have a low K/H because I don't care about instant action and enjoy going up high and hunting, I'm not doing it to have a low K/H, it's a result of how I play.

Maybe the 10 ten guys are there because that's how they play, and their score is a result, not a goal.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2017, 11:08:07 AM »
Be it in your head or on the HTC website all you do is fly for "score".  Be it from leaving a squaddie hanging to having a shade account to help you "hunt" bombers.
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2017, 03:47:47 PM »
maybe hitech should run the scores from worst to best, this way the worst guys are #1 and everyone will be fighting to be last!!  :bolt:

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2017, 07:31:13 PM »
maybe hitech should run the scores from worst to best, this way the worst guys are #1 and everyone will be fighting to be last!!  :bolt:

I would finally be #1. 

Maybe we can do it like bowling.   I get a handicap. 
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2017, 09:18:18 AM »
Could it be that players play the way they want and the score is a result of their gameplay, that their gameplay is not a result of their score?

I think there are far too many that think that most people play for score.

Look at it this way, I normally have a high K/D because I don't like being shot down, not, I don't like being shot down because it affects my score.

Or, I have a low K/H because I don't care about instant action and enjoy going up high and hunting, I'm not doing it to have a low K/H, it's a result of how I play.

Maybe the 10 ten guys are there because that's how they play, and their score is a result, not a goal.
Oh for sure some are because of how people play the game...but look at the gaming community in general. The top viewed games at any given time are Dota2, League of Legends, and Counter Strike....what do all three games have in common? They are competitive skill based games. They hook players with their gameplay but the rank system has a huge part of why players stay....that's why more and more games keep adding them...heck doesn't GTA5 have one now??? Even here in Aces High there is definitely a good number of people who are competitive, who push themselves to be better then what they were last month....example Vraciu's comment about his MA score being to check for self improvement...he is a competitive players...he is competing against himself...he might not see it the same way but it is the same. A ranking system shouldn't ever be seen as an ego thing, the fact is if you are worried about that you are the one with the fragile ego....which is honestly a big issue in this community. More evidence that a good size portion the community likes a competitive match is this...KOTH, proportionally we haven't slumped ad much as other events...14 is the number we were seeing this last year....but we used to get 25-30... which is about half...but other events have lost a lot more then half. Shows the competitive structure is keeping players around....

Like I said, I no longer think a competitive ranking would work in the DA BUT to say something is Sad because it has a ranking structure attached to it just shows ignorance to what a lot of gamers are looking for in a game....when a gamer says he wants to find a game he can dig his teeth into, he's talking about one where he can develop and get better...flat out gameplay does that in Aces High....but a ranking system could help.

In the end it was just a suggestion, Fugitive just needs to understand he knows nothing like Jon Snow.
DFC Member
"Yikes"

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2017, 09:45:35 AM »
It is not an ego thing.  It's an abuse thing.  I take enough crap on here and 200 as it is (including score).   I prefer not to give people more hand grenades to throw at me over my play in the Match Arena. 

If my stats are public then I will just stick to mediocrity in the MA and leave Match to others.   

Nobody will avoid the place for lack of public stats.   However, some will avoid it because of same.   It's not worth it.   

I know I will be disagreed with because that's SOP around here but whatever.  I'm always game for a fight at all hours so my absence will mean at least a few less contests there. 

Just my $0.02.   :salute
”KILLER V”
The Damned