Author Topic: V base ammo?  (Read 2899 times)

Offline OldNitro

• Nickel Member
Re: V base ammo?
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2017, 08:01:09 AM »
Fugi- I can see that point about gameplay to some extent. But a basic fact of life, (or war), like the effect of destroying the ammo dumps shouldn't be completely discounted or ignored. Seems like that goes a little too far in the other direction.

Haggerty says they are very easy to hit/destroy. From my own limited experience in offline practice, I agree, they are way too easy of a target, even for a noob like me. I guess that is why they make them a worthless target with little or no effect on the gameplay.

Changing the nature of the target to add more realism to the situation would seem to be the way to go. Although I suppose that increasing the target hardness would be the quick and dirty way to adjust that particular game dynamic, but that wouldn't really be a remedy.

To my knowledge, forward bases, subject to likely enemy attack, did not concentrate their ammo, or fuel dumps, into nice neat little porkable objects in plain site. They would be spread out, hidden under trees, covered with camo nets. Divided into multiple groups, so they would be impossible to destroy in one attack, or many. Following the ole eggs in the basket principle. Changing ammo or fuel dumps into area type targets, might fit the situation better, and be more true to wartime methods.

That way, porkers would have to fly MANY 190's to get the job done. Or use bigger planes and blast a whole area to put a dent in the base's ammo/fuel supply. But with the increased difficulty of the target, the ramifications of it's damage or destruction could be made more realistic and proportional as well.

In open territory like the desert, they would store the ammo in separate pits, with camoed covers. making them difficult to find. Russians would pump fuel directly into open pits, with floating camo covers, like a lake of gasoline or diesel fuel.

In forward area bases, spread out batches of fuel drums, or stacks of ammo crates would be common, some over here, some over there. But not big tanks in plain sight with BOMB HERE signs on them. Or fixed ammo bunkers in plain sight for that matter. :rolleyes:

Ammo and fuel dumps were a cherry target, and their destruction could change the course of a battle drastically, that is why precautions were taken to shield them from attack or minimize losses. I'm kinda guessing this is a detail of gameplay that just isn't as high a priority as other issues. Otherwise it would have been addressed.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2017, 09:14:29 AM »
it is only a semi use less action at a v base. it does have an impact at an air field. if you are using ground attack or a naval  attack at an air field you had better get the ammo bunkers down or your attack will e much harder.

Offline OldNitro

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2017, 10:48:21 AM »
it is only a semi use less action at a v base. it does have an impact at an air field. if you are using ground attack or a naval  attack at an air field you had better get the ammo bunkers down or your attack will e much harder.

:D Roger that, airfields launching planes with bombs is a different situation.