Author Topic: Giving VR a try  (Read 1284 times)

Offline 38ruk

• Gold Member
      • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
Giving VR a try
« on: March 07, 2017, 04:30:59 AM »
Thinking of picking up a rift tonight on the way home , I'm guessing a 980 ti should do an OK job?  Anything else I should look for? Thanks

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
Re: Giving VR a try
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 06:44:40 AM »
a 980ti will definitely do the job. Here are the official requirements with some notes:

• Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 970 or AMD Radeon R9 290 or better.
  • CPU: Intel Core i5 4590 or greater.
  • RAM: 8GB or more.
  • Video port: HDMI 1.3.  <--If you are currently using this for your monitor you might want to get an adapter for your monitor to display port.
  • USB port: 2 USB 3.0 ports.  You need to have 3.0 ports, if you don't have them there is an addon card you can get. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B6ZCNGM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • Windows 7 SP1 or newer.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 06:46:19 AM by Kanth »
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline N95KF

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 08:54:36 AM »
Just got one.  Awesome.  My first flight I was afraid to do a barrel roll and had to close my eyes before I hit the ground after a bail.  My mind was convinced I was flying at 4000 feet.  You also realize size scale and how big fighters really were back then.  When you first line up that bogey in your gunsight and actually have to move your head and close one eye to fire at him you won't be able to go back to a 2D monitor ever.
:airplane:

49Alpha

"We, not they, will win the final battle; and we, not they, will make the final peace!"

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 07:22:39 PM »
And I name thee...

...ChunderMAW

Offline Phast12

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 06:22:33 AM »
I think you will love it! the only thing that takes a little time to get used to is some motion sickness as your body adjusts.
Phast
JG4
WW1 - Jasta 11

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 09:37:15 AM »
I think you will love it! the only thing that takes a little time to get used to is some motion sickness as your body adjusts.

I really wish mine would, last 2 days I have been adding support for the rift touch. 2 mins in the head set gives me a splitting headache.

I can do real areo all day long and not feel a thing. But 1 min in a head set or track IR and I'm done for an hour.

HiTech

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 10:27:42 AM »
Give ginger pills a try. I've heard many people having got helped by them, including my daughter who used to throw up on longer stints. And even if they don't work for you, they won't blunt your brain like "real" medicine does.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline AAIK

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 10:57:28 AM »
Try the wrist magnets, they do work (depending on the person).

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2017, 11:50:08 AM »
Have you calibrated the spacing for your eyes lately?  It sounds like your eyes are straining rather than getting motion sickness.

nevermind you said trackir is doing it too. really odd. really sounds like eye strain though.

I really wish mine would, last 2 days I have been adding support for the rift touch. 2 mins in the head set gives me a splitting headache.

I can do real areo all day long and not feel a thing. But 1 min in a head set or track IR and I'm done for an hour.

HiTech
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 11:54:12 AM by Kanth »
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline Wraith_TMS

• Copper Member
      • My Web Depot
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2017, 12:10:40 PM »

HiTech

I wonder if the issue mentioned in this article might be the cause of those headaches.  https://hardware.slashdot.org/story/15/08/11/227254/researchers-fight-vr-focus-switching-headaches There's another article linked in the above one regarding promising research, but it's not a near-term solution.

PS: Good to hear Touch support is inbound.   :salute

FWIW,
o--[--Wraith----   
The Musketeers 
(In-game: Wraithe)
"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig." -- R. A. Heinlein

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2017, 12:49:25 PM »
Have you calibrated the spacing for your eyes lately?  It sounds like your eyes are straining rather than getting motion sickness.

nevermind you said trackir is doing it too. really odd. really sounds like eye strain though.

Yes I have it at it's widest, I wish it could go a little farther.

HiTech

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2017, 12:56:17 PM »
He's got a big head. :)
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2017, 01:59:22 PM »
Don't forget to have a fan blowing on your head.

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2017, 02:03:59 PM »
also the straps shouldn't be adjusted super tight that could also cause headache.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2017, 02:44:13 PM »

HiTech

Does setting VR to mono vision help with the headaches?