Author Topic: Really jumpy gunsights  (Read 3183 times)

Offline deadfishstink

• Zinc Member
Really jumpy gunsights
« on: March 07, 2017, 05:17:23 PM »
Returning after several years, and this is one problem I don't remember.    I'm in the training arena, and I'm just working on getting proficient with my guns in a fighter.   

I close slowly on a plane, and even without zooming my gunsight, when I'm within 400 yards, I can't make a steady move to "walk" my rounds into a plane.    Even the slightest motion of the joystick has my sight bouncing all around, to the point the plane pops in and out of the HUD.   At this point I'm just spraying and praying.   

I've working on adjusting dead zones and scaling on joy stick so my actual flight movements are relatively smooth and not jerky, but at this point I have no desire to go to a live arena, as I can't hit crap.

Again, I don't remember this as an issue from years ago, and maybe I'm just brain farting on a setting.

Any help would be appreciated, and sorry if this is an old topic.   I searched jumpy gunsights, jerky gunsights, gunsights moving quickly etc and found nothing of help.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: Really jumpy gunsights
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 05:26:33 PM »
Did you calibrate the joystick?

Start with minimum deadband and damping. I use none on the stick.

The default scaling works well if you want to scale pitch and rudder.

You're flying an unstable gun platform. The flight model will not always let you point where you want to.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 05:40:49 PM »
What kind of stick are you using? Is it an old one? When you calibrate it (first in windows then in the game) check the "raw" data on the swing out page where you set the dead band and scaling. Is the raw signal from the stick bouncing all over the place WITHOUT you touching it?

If everything with the stick checks out, the biggest thing after that is teaching yourself to calm down. Try flying with just the tips of your fingers on the stick. smooth easy movements are what your after.

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 07:25:28 PM »
for me (heavy handed) I scaled my elevators my scale starts about 1/3 of the way up the scale and the first four are at incremental changes...my second slider is half way half the bar higher than my first slider, third is level with the top of my second, forth is a full sider bar above the third...I also added dampening to just below my first slider....

obviously the slider scale is personal preference so just keep playing around until you have little bounce....I do knoe that even with these settings the P51 for me has a small amount of nose bounce still...

Offline hotcoffe

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 04:25:26 AM »
here;
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpmFrg2yYL8bbFJjRkr9gEQ
Challanger has a really good 3 part tutorial explaning all about settings and scalling , help me alot with my old stick :)

other solution :
buy a x56 rhino :)
- Der Wander Zirkus -

Offline deadfishstink

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 05:21:33 PM »
Thanks for the responses.   Will continue to work on it.    I realize a heavy hand is no go as far as flying.   Joystick is Logitech Extreme3Dpro.   Not new, not old either.

Looking at whats happening again, it's more like the nose of my plane jumps suddenly back and forth at the 1st touch of the stick, but then steadies down if I let it come back to it's center and then try again.   

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 05:46:06 PM »
Thanks for the responses.   Will continue to work on it.    I realize a heavy hand is no go as far as flying.   Joystick is Logitech Extreme3Dpro.   Not new, not old either.

Looking at whats happening again, it's more like the nose of my plane jumps suddenly back and forth at the 1st touch of the stick, but then steadies down if I let it come back to it's center and then try again.   

I fly with the same Joystick.  I always have a new one in the box ready to go.  One day it's fine and the next, well.......

I get 9 to 12 months out of one and when it starts getting "jumpy", I throw it away and grab a new one.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 05:46:27 PM »

Sounds like your inadvertently twisting the stick and getting rudder input. Add a bit more dead band to the rudder axis and see if it cleans it up.

Offline deadfishstink

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2017, 02:34:09 PM »
Adding dead band on rudder definitely helped.    Thanks Fugative.   Now for some fine tuning....

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2017, 04:01:42 PM »
 :aok

Offline Gooss

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.327th.com
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2017, 10:48:17 AM »
Thanks for the conversation.  I upped my damping and like the results shooting offline drones.   :joystick:
CHICKS DIG GULLWINGS
flying and dying since Tour 19

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2017, 05:46:45 AM »
Regarding nose bounce when trying to saddle up/line up for a shot

A lot of players use CT (combat trim), which actually makes nose bounce much worse when you begin to get slower and possibly dropping notches of flaps

I have always recommended to trim your plane out in level or slightly diving flight, wings level, no other control input..also don't have WEP on either...then you can turn CT on until you have reached anywhere from 275 to 325 IAS (indicated air speed / white needle) then turn off CT

This will allow you to avoid the dreaded nose bounce and allow you to hold a more stable steady stick when saddling up for a shot...also remember the lighter you are on your control input the smoother your flying

Hope this helps. (There is a lot more to it, but that's enough for now)

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline OldNitro

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2017, 09:20:26 AM »
I'm pretty new around here, but this is something to consider.
I was having a bouncing sight, and unsteady control issue.

Part of my solution, was to arrange a pad for my forearm to rest on.
That maintains my hand in neutral position on the stick, and reduces
the weight of my arm on the base of the grip.

It steadies my touch when making small stick movements, but allows
me to lift my arm to make more drastic movements. I think it also
reduces the wear a tear on the stick gimble, making the stick last longer.

This has also allowed me to decrease my deadband and damping a bit,
making thestick more sensitive overall, while still maintaining reasonable stability. 

Offline deadfishstink

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2017, 10:41:36 AM »
Regarding nose bounce when trying to saddle up/line up for a shot

A lot of players use CT (combat trim), which actually makes nose bounce much worse when you begin to get slower and possibly dropping notches of flaps

Another good point.   I do in fact have CT on.   The bounce does get much more pronounced as I try to slow to match the drone without over flying.   

Back to the testing grounds to give this a try as well.   Thanks.

Offline hulk31st

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2017, 02:08:44 PM »

(There is a lot more to it, but that's enough for now)

TC

:salute
 :aok
Tell us more!
Tunisia 1944 Scenario Participant