Author Topic: Question  (Read 5638 times)

Offline WEZEL

• Silver Member
Question
« on: March 11, 2017, 08:36:44 PM »
Howdy, is the sound still in stereo like AH2 or is it something different now?

I am having a tough time telling direction of gun fire wile in a GV, the report echo is trowing me for a loop.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Re: Question
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 01:34:36 AM »
It has always been MONO. There are some sounds that may have been inserted as stereo, but I think that was by mistake.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 06:48:12 AM »
The raw audio is mono.  The game places the sound in 3D space.

The game accurately creates the audio of distance report of gun fire now.  We did not do that in AH2.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline WEZEL

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 07:13:48 AM »
The raw audio is mono.  The game places the sound in 3D space.

The game accurately creates the audio of distance report of gun fire now.  We did not do that in AH2.

Thanks for the reply, would a 5.1 or 7.1 headset better handle the sound better of the 3D over a stereo set?

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 07:30:41 AM »
Thanks for the reply, would a 5.1 or 7.1 headset better handle the sound better of the 3D over a stereo set?

Not at all.  If you force any other decoding via another CODEC, it will probably do nothing but add more overhead to the audio as any form of Dolby decoding requires the audio stream to embed the decoding signal.

If you force multi-channel decoding, via some other external method, then, best case, it will do nothing, worst case, it would make things worse.

You cannot get more accurate than true sound positioning in 3D space.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline WEZEL

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 11:21:27 AM »
Got it thanks  :salute

I find it difficult when a Gv fight is going on to pinpoint the enemy shooting at me especially at close range, the echo of the explosion seems to mask the report of the shot. 

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2017, 07:38:15 PM »
I have a 25% hearing loss in one ear, and while my son says the "surround" sound effect is accurate, to me it sounds like a tank that is directly in front of me is more off to the left.

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943.  Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline WEZEL

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2017, 10:43:05 PM »
I have a 25% hearing loss in one ear, and while my son says the "surround" sound effect is accurate, to me it sounds like a tank that is directly in front of me is more off to the left.

I got some tone/hearing loss also, I find it hard to tell the direction of the shot with the echo. That was the main reason I could not find you the other day  :devil

Offline Owlblink

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 05:24:10 PM »
It's accurate enough with normal hearing for me to get a pretty good idea of direction of sounds, but it could be better.

I never knew about it being mono, this would explain why when I tried to use a seround sound headset it was like holding a seashell to my ear whilst trying to hear everything else echoing around me. I do nit recommend serround settings on headsets, as Skuzzy has mentioned!
Kommando Nowotny FSO
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2017, 12:05:05 AM »
I can generally tell with Tank rounds, but 50 cals or the wirbls 20 mm, forget it I can not locate them based on the sound of the guns. :headscratch:
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline WEZEL

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2017, 08:55:51 AM »
I have been playing with the sound settings, even tried running it trough a EQ still cant get it ironed out. This may be the end of Gv'ing for me  :eek:  that's why I have not played in a wile I was waiting for some change in the sound settings[more options] or a sound pack that tamed it down some.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2017, 09:00:09 AM »
It's accurate enough with normal hearing for me to get a pretty good idea of direction of sounds, but it could be better.

I never knew about it being mono, this would explain why when I tried to use a seround sound headset it was like holding a seashell to my ear whilst trying to hear everything else echoing around me. I do nit recommend serround settings on headsets, as Skuzzy has mentioned!

The sound setting must match your device. Most importantly the number of speakers.

Stereo vs mono is simply about the raw sound input. If you visualize how stereo sounds are recorded, i.e. sounds coming from one point then picked up with to micro phones and then simply played back on 2 speakers , Mono sounds in games start to make sense. Sound is still coming from one point but now the computer is "Recording" i.e. moving the sound around at 2 or more points "the speakers".

HiTech

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2017, 09:25:36 AM »
so are you saying to set the game sounds to mono and let the game softwar do the positioning?

or, is stereo still better to get a truer positioning?

Offline WEZEL

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2017, 09:44:48 AM »
I am using stereo head phones not a top of the line set, maybe an upgrade is in order. I like the sound settings in AH2 better, more options for us hard of hearing people to adjust to our liking. 

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2017, 09:50:49 AM »
so are you saying to set the game sounds to mono and let the game softwar do the positioning?

or, is stereo still better to get a truer positioning?

How do you set the sounds from mono to stereo or vice-versa?
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese