Author Topic: MOVE the ww1 bases further apart  (Read 539 times)

Offline waerekrager

• Zinc Member
MOVE the ww1 bases further apart
« on: March 13, 2017, 12:49:32 PM »
its been requested over and over by the group that flies ww1. the center bases being 1k apart ruins the game. atleast move them 2k or 2.5k cant be that hard. but then again you would have to listen to the community for that to happen.

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
Re: MOVE the ww1 bases further apart
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 01:00:46 PM »
I'm not sure that I have seen that request "over and over".  Nevertheless, I do not agree.

:salute
Wag more, bark less.

Offline AAIK

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 01:49:24 PM »
The space between them keeps the action tense, the real problem is that there is no AA to protect uppers.

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 02:00:40 PM »
its been requested over and over by the group that flies ww1. the center bases being 1k apart ruins the game. atleast move them 2k or 2.5k cant be that hard. but then again you would have to listen to the community for that to happen.

I don't think I've ever seen that requested. A quick search of the past 5 years shows the same.
AH Supporter Since Tour 35

Offline Owlblink

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 05:20:47 PM »
I have seen it since AH 3 a number of times, also hear it from people in game.
Kommando Nowotny FSO
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 09:25:52 PM »
I have seen it since AH 3 a number of times, also hear it from people in game.

What's their objection?  I thought one of the fun things about WWI was that you were engaged right after takeoff.

- oldman

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 10:34:53 PM »
It works fine until you are 1 or 2 vs 4 and above. Then you have no way of getting off the ground into an offensive air combat stance. And the wee little darlings often won't even the sides once they have a guaranteed win. I've been there a few times in that arena. Once they have you screwed they won't change it to play fair.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2017, 10:39:34 PM »
It works fine until you are 1 or 2 vs 4 and above. Then you have no way of getting off the ground into an offensive air combat stance. And the wee little darlings often won't even the sides once they have a guaranteed win. I've been there a few times in that arena. Once they have you screwed they won't change it to play fair.

Sounds kind of what would happen if we only had 2 countries in the MA. But that's for a different thread.  :bolt:
AH Supporter Since Tour 35

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2017, 07:26:27 AM »
+1 Just a tad more distance between the fields.

Several times I've been in there with 10+ pilots, and all it takes is one spoiled sport runway vultcher to ruin the fun.
Game handle: HellBuck

Offline pops04

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2017, 09:07:25 AM »
We fly in the WW1 arena on Fri and Sat nights from 8:30 EST and let me tell you the maps are way too close together, and they need to put the flak back on the airfields. you get more than three people in there then you have one hell of a time getting above 500 feet AGL before some hoser is on your six flaming you before you even had aclue he was there. Or on the other hand you could be on final for landing with maybe 4 to 6 kills and some buzzard shoots you as wheels touch ground. When we are in the arena we run on a common vox of 258 that way we can talk across countries to let others know the rules while we are in there and the rules are very simple dont vulch either landing or take off. When someone announces they are landing let them land. Plain and simple. Anyone care to join we do this every weekend. :airplane:   :cheers:

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2017, 11:46:33 AM »
Adding new ww1 planes will really up the #s in there.

It's been a blast recently,  even when pops is ventilating my plane!
Game handle: HellBuck

Offline Sabre

• Gold Member
      • Rich Owen
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2017, 10:54:53 AM »
+1. I'd move them at least 5 miles apart, and put auto light machine guns for base defense. I really miss the system in Dawn of Aces, where we had not only numerous a/c, but zeppelins and artillery. A2A fights in the AH WWI arena can be a hoot, but numbers will never improve (IMNSHO) unless the action becomes multidimentional.  My son's been playing Battlefield 1, and while the aircraft, weapons, and vehicle modelling is laughable, the over all action is intense.
Sabre
"The urge to save humanity almost always masks a desire to rule it."

Offline fracca

• Zinc Member
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2017, 09:29:04 PM »
+1  I agree with the bases being moved much further apart. I was happy with the way it was before on the old map, but even half the distance would be a compromise if there is anyone who wants more instant action. Right now it's literally impossible to get a dogfight above 300ft unless its a pre-planned affair taking off at old fields.

And for what its worth, wings being ripped off is now completely non-existent, whereas before it was probably the biggest element of the ww1 planes. Nobody ever gets above 300ft so nobody ever gets fast enough on the dive to rip. Which is a shame.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 09:32:29 PM by fracca »
Colonic

Offline Cjpedrido

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2017, 01:00:02 AM »
-1. I regularly fly WW1.  None of us who play it have ever complained about the base distances.  Please leave our arena alone.

vSKYDIVE    :airplane:

Offline ONTOS

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2017, 11:06:42 AM »