Author Topic: Oculus vs Vive for AH3  (Read 502 times)

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
Oculus vs Vive for AH3
« on: March 16, 2017, 04:42:16 PM »
So...  at the risk of starting a flamewar... which I DO NOT WANT, looking for some advice.

Hitech has mentioned the Oculus's implementation is better than Vive's.  However, looking into room scale VR  I see that Vive uses a lot less cabling than Oculus, specifically the tracking modules, which is extremely appealing to me for what I have in mind at my house.  Basically 2 rooms, one with my flight rig, one with a room VR setup, with appropriate cabling run between the two.  Will be planning to use my HOTAS and pedals with the flight rig.  I'm not planning on using the hand controls for flight at this time.

For anybody who's tried both Oculus and Vive with AH3 specifically, how much better is the Oculus, and is the Vive experience actually "bad" or "just slightly less good"?  And in what way?

Or is it pretty much that the Oculus is better on paper, but the difference is pretty much academic and there's really little difference in actuality?

Please please don't get heated about it, I'm just looking for some experiences based on fact.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
Re: Oculus vs Vive for AH3
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 05:41:48 PM »
What kind of a dog are you going to get?
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 06:20:32 PM »
Pug.  Still a ways off though. ;)

Wiley.

JG11

Offline terrydew

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 08:53:08 AM »
I had both for a while and I kept the Oculus as the visuals were much better. That was right after AH went VR so it could be better now.

Terry

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 02:11:24 PM »
I've had a couple of both the Rift and Vive since they came out - the Rift is just superior in all cockpit games, both driving and flight.  If you're into cocktail party type standing/room shooter type games, or some of the other gimmicky (to me) type of VR games, the Vive is great to show off in that setting.  The controllers are nice, the standing/room experience is interesting (for a time), and non serious PC gamers will appreciate it more than the sit down Rift experience.  Yes I realize there are controllers and extra sensors/software available for the Rift now too, but it's sort of the Vive in reverse in that context IMO.

If you can only afford one, and you are planning on using it for sims/driving, the Rift is hands down the best option.  It just works better, the experience is better, and every developer in the sim community will tell you that getting the Rift to work with their product has been better than HTC's Vive.

I sold one of our Vives as it was just sitting unused, while both Rift's the neices and nephews fight over (mainly for Elite Dangerous but other games too), and just one regular users of our PC gaming array wants to use the Vive regularly, and that's for Onward (standing FPS military sim game, which now supports the Rift too at last). 

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 03:09:55 PM »
Gotcha.  Thanks for the input folks.  Just got to figure out what the priority will be.  Room VR will potentially help sell it to Mrs. Wiley, and I like the fact that the base stations for the Vive are dumb and don't require a connection to the PC.  E D and Star Citizen are definitely on the map for stuff I most want to do with it.

Guess it's only 3 more active USB cables I need to run to the other room...

Wiley.

JG11