Author Topic: Graphics settings for VR  (Read 1961 times)

Offline N95KF

• Copper Member
Graphics settings for VR
« on: March 19, 2017, 10:33:11 AM »
Hi all,

What are all of your graphics settings at?  Including NVidia Control Panel Settings?  I have i7-6700k @ 4.0 GHz + GTX 1080.

Thanks!
:airplane:

49Alpha

"We, not they, will win the final battle; and we, not they, will make the final peace!"

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: Graphics settings for VR
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 06:09:24 AM »
Just leave the game resolution matching your desktop.  The rest is taken care of automatically.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline N95KF

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 09:29:45 PM »
Just leave the game resolution matching your desktop.  The rest is taken care of automatically.

The only problem with that is the runways aren't visible until you are halfway through with final.  I have to jack a few settings here and there up, I guess I am just looking for that cutoff point, or what really kills frames/tracking.

49Alpha

"We, not they, will win the final battle; and we, not they, will make the final peace!"

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 06:37:12 AM »
If you do not set the game resolution to your match your desktop, then other problems will happen.  The video resolution of the VR headsets are fixed and they do their own thing apart from the video settings we use.

Not sure what you are talking about on the runways.  I have never heard of the runways popping in and out of view.

What video card are you using?
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 06:40:44 AM »
I know what he's talking about, I can see what the setting is to bring them back.

I'll have to check it after work but if you want to check it, just pop in and adjust your settings till the runway disappears in a dirt smear.
I don't have the setting on hand but I do know exactly what you are talking about.  You can't actually see the runway until you are almost wheels down.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 07:13:28 AM by Kanth »
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 11:42:47 AM »
I look for it at lunch but I'm not getting a definite on off for the runway.  I know there is some setting, in some terrain size that makes it to where the runway isn't distinct (it blends into the field) until you are really really close to it which means lining up long distance is pretty hard to do, you have to use the map.

Still not sure what setting is causing it.  I'd suggest messing with it until you find it.
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 07:01:53 PM »
Scuzzy, is having desktop/game res matching something that is important for LCD users too?

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 06:32:55 AM »
Scuzzy, is having desktop/game res matching something that is important for LCD users too?

It is best to do so, especially with Windows 10 due to the broken dynamic DPI scaling in the operating system.

The game will look like poo if, on an LCD panel, unless it is run at the native resolution of the panel.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 08:08:51 PM »
Ok will do.  18 years and yet another thing I didn't know.  I've been running 1440p desktop, or 4K, for years, yet playing in 1080p. 

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2017, 02:30:45 AM »
Ok will do.  18 years and yet another thing I didn't know.  I've been running 1440p desktop, or 4K, for years, yet playing in 1080p.

I have got the expression that your gear is not of the low side, nevertheless raising the game resolution will add load on your video card. However, since the pixel size of the image gets smaller you can reduce the amount of AA without any noticeable lessening in image quality. I've been running the game on my 30" 2560x1600 screen without any AA, my aging eyes are blurring the sawtooth in diagonal lines well enough.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2017, 06:49:53 AM »

When you do not run an LCD panel at its native resolution, then the monitor/television has to do its own scaling as LCD panels are a fixed resolution.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Infidelz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2017, 05:49:00 AM »
I would like a wider field of view or exaggerated yaw like track IR, so I don't have to Check six with my joystick. When I look 90deg, I should be able to check six.

Offline N95KF

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2017, 09:13:58 PM »
I have a feeling that exaggerated head tracking with VR will make you dizzy and sick.  It also defeats the purpose of using VR.  I get what youre saying though, sometimes i just cannot track that bandit the way i did with TrackIR.  I am getting used to it though, and always grab the arm of my chair when checking full six.  Now we know what the pilots of that time felt like...

49Alpha

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2017, 07:02:29 AM »
I have a feeling that exaggerated head tracking with VR will make you dizzy and sick.  <snip>

Quite right.  The whole thing with VR is to fool your brain into believing it really is in the cockpit.  When the world motion does not match what is subconsciously expected, it can make you feel really bad (headaches, nausea and so on).
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese