Author Topic: Rift VR Review  (Read 652 times)

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
Rift VR Review
« on: March 27, 2017, 03:17:37 PM »
I have to open with the best evidence of the advantage of VR.  I tried a P-38 for my first plane with the Rift.  A good furbal was at the next base.  I went to auto climb then relaxed while looking around the P-38 cockpit then let my eyes gaze outside at the full scale engines while marveling at the 3D P-38.  Feeling comfortable,  I unconsciously, raised my left elbow just enough to rest it on the canopy railing then awed at the realization it was not really there.  I snickered at the mind fooling thing the rift and AH had done to me.

VR is the future, make no doubt about that.

I smacked the ground a few times in the 38.  The full scale views  throws off your distance judgement.  That will get better in short order i would think with time in the game.

The rift is comfortable.  On my face here is a gap at the bottom of the googles that is just enough to see my TM cougar panel so i can easily switch salvos as an example or change RPMs.

The sound I would say is better than my Cloud headset.  I was surprised at just how good the sound is using the rift ear phones.  The mic works well.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Re: Rift VR Review
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 03:38:51 PM »
I unconsciously, raised my left elbow just enough to rest it on the canopy railing then awed at the realization it was not really there.  I snickered at the mind fooling thing the rift and AH had done to me.

The absolutely worst game for this effect is Elite Dangerous. In game you can see your pilots body, and the throttle and stick move in relation to what you do (and his arms as well). So after a while you really start to believe, to the point where if you take your hand away from the stick you kind of freak a little as the in game one doesn't  :devil

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 04:40:27 PM »
Exact same in Iracing for the same reason, the arms just become and extension of yours and totally believable

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 02:13:35 AM »
Is that with the Touch controllers? Pretty sure no in AH3, just wondering about the other games mentioned. Jazz hands in AH have no elbos, unless I did something wrong :x Dang that prop is sharp :bolt:
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 02:18:07 AM »
Nah with iracing I use a steering wheel