Author Topic: Occulus Sensors  (Read 1122 times)

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
Occulus Sensors
« on: April 01, 2017, 11:51:59 PM »
You's Rift flyers, how many sensors you using to play and whats your positioning?

:salute
ASROCK X99 Taichi, INTEL i7 6850@4.5GHz, GIGABYTE GTX 1070G1, Kingston HyperX 3000MHz DDR4, OCZ 256GB RD400, Seasonic 750W PSU, SONY BRAVIA 48W600B, Windows 10 Pro /64

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: Occulus Sensors
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 06:24:55 AM »
The Rift "sensors" are built into the headset itself. The remote units are cameras.  Usually only two are needed, unless you have the touch controllers, which has its own unit.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline N95KF

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 10:49:17 AM »
I have the two cameras near my monitor, but you only need one.  I have two setup because the Oculus Touch came with one.
:airplane:

49Alpha

"We, not they, will win the final battle; and we, not they, will make the final peace!"

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 11:00:03 AM »

me too.

one is left side of desk high, and the other is right side of desk lower.

I have the two cameras near my monitor, but you only need one.  I have two setup because the Oculus Touch came with one.
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2017, 03:19:48 PM »
I have my FFB wheel setup off to one side so I just rotate my chair 90 degrees to drive instead of fly. I had one Rift "camera", Oculus calls them sensors, centered above my monitor and it worked fine for both positions, front and side.

Now I have two sensors, one on each side of the monitor and they still work fine for both positions.

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2017, 09:14:07 PM »
The Rift "sensors" are built into the headset itself. The remote units are cameras.  Usually only two are needed, unless you have the touch controllers, which has its own unit.

if I understand correctly, the headset itself has a gyro, and a magnetometer for motion, and a accelerometer for motion............
the additional accessory sensors then are not a must?
or does having them increase the experience to a point that they are a must?

I will not be standing, just sitting my flight chair. But I expect to be able to look over my shoulder, up, down, anything you would do in a normal sitrep situation. so if I am pushing it, 1 or 2 accessory sensors?
ASROCK X99 Taichi, INTEL i7 6850@4.5GHz, GIGABYTE GTX 1070G1, Kingston HyperX 3000MHz DDR4, OCZ 256GB RD400, Seasonic 750W PSU, SONY BRAVIA 48W600B, Windows 10 Pro /64

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 05:54:01 AM »

You are right.  I forgot we had two to start with due to the SDK kits we went through.

if I understand correctly, the headset itself has a gyro, and a magnetometer for motion, and a accelerometer for motion............
the additional accessory sensors then are not a must?
or does having them increase the experience to a point that they are a must?

I will not be standing, just sitting my flight chair. But I expect to be able to look over my shoulder, up, down, anything you would do in a normal sitrep situation. so if I am pushing it, 1 or 2 accessory sensors?

You can look backwards in the RIft.  The side sensors on the headset (IR emitters) give the camera enough information to know when you are looking back.

The single tracking camera works fine.  Surprisingly well.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 11:13:14 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline N95KF

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 11:08:59 AM »
I dont believe the headset has a gyro built into it.  It uses the constellation tracking system with multiple dots as points of reference which are picked up by the camera.  You are thinking of accelerometer and gyro built into the phones which are use for head tracking.  Samsung GEAR, Google Cardboard, etc...
:airplane:

49Alpha

"We, not they, will win the final battle; and we, not they, will make the final peace!"

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2017, 11:12:56 AM »
I dont believe the headset has a gyro built into it.  It uses the constellation tracking system with multiple dots as points of reference which are picked up by the camera.  You are thinking of accelerometer and gyro built into the phones which are use for head tracking.  Samsung GEAR, Google Cardboard, etc...

Yep, you are correct.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2017, 12:04:51 PM »
I very well may have muddled info, been perusing a lot.

But I did read where the rift itself shipped with no sensors, that the accessory sensors were for game room where you moved around upright, the constellation tracking.

Does it come with a camera/sensor itself? No where did I read you have to have a sensor to use rift in a chair..........still learning.

I will not be getting a Touch. I will just adjust my diy rig for flying blind and ditch kb.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 12:07:28 PM by MADe »

Offline terrydew

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2017, 12:59:15 PM »
I very well may have muddled info, been perusing a lot.

But I did read where the rift itself shipped with no sensors, that the accessory sensors were for game room where you moved around upright, the constellation tracking.

Does it come with a camera/sensor itself? No where did I read you have to have a sensor to use rift in a chair..........still learning.

I will not be getting a Touch. I will just adjust my diy rig for flying blind and ditch kb.

Yes it comes with one sensor (camera)

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2017, 03:35:34 PM »
I've been running single camera mostly, I have 2 Rifts, and could use the camera from the other one if it wasn't in use, for room scale, but I haven't even bothered trying that yet, as the only room scale game I play was Vive only until recently.  Pretty incredible how good both Rift and Vive work on a single camera/sensor, when sitting the Vive will work with just one of cams picking up, I know this as I had a ceiling fan blocking the far corner camera line of sight to my desk, and it would still work while seated when the #2 Vive camera was unable to track the headset properly.

I didn't realize the touch controllers for the Rift came with another camera, I wasn't going to bother with them, maybe I'll give them a whirl now.

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2017, 08:43:13 PM »
ok ty

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2017, 07:06:56 PM »
not sure if this deserves it's own thread  or not, but seemed like it would fit in with this thread's title/topic

New article about Oculus came out at tom's Hardware website yesterday....

Oculus Files Patent For Tactile VR System
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/oculus-patent-tactile-vr-system,news-55293.html

"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2017, 07:14:49 PM »

That's pretty interesting though.  Not sure I could handle that, FFB sticks freak me out even..but maybe it won't be that horrific.

not sure if this deserves it's own thread  or not, but seemed like it would fit in with this thread's title/topic

New article about Oculus came out at tom's Hardware website yesterday....

Oculus Files Patent For Tactile VR System
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/oculus-patent-tactile-vr-system,news-55293.html
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.