Author Topic: VR Life without Trackir  (Read 3201 times)

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
VR Life without Trackir
« on: April 03, 2017, 06:56:51 AM »
If you have a good setup using trackir then switching to VR is like being a newbie all over again.

I have my left and right rear views setup so that is not a problem but with trackir I could follow and a plane or setup for a bomb drop on a gv without ever losing sight.

Any tips on using vr and the hat switch?

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
Re: VR Life without Trackir
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 03:41:11 PM »
I feel/felt much the same way, going from hat views to TiR was a royal PITA for me, so many years of thumbhat views ingrained into my reactions.  VR obviously looking behind yourself is extremely difficult, harder than RL IMO due to you can't use peripheral vision like you can with just your eyes, ie I can see my 6 in a plane with my head at 4 oclock or so, where as in VR it needs to be almost dead 6 to see 6.

The only tip I have I guess is to just get used to it.  The hat view I use most while in VR is just the thumb hat down/6 view, probably 99% of the time it's the only hat view I need, but I do use the left/right 90 degree hat when I feel like it as well.  In combat though, I just treat VR like trackIR, except say at a merge, I"ll flight the thumb hat instantly to get a track on the target in my 6 view, and when I start pulling him into my front view, I'll release the thumb hat and simultaneously start looking heads up with the VR to pick up the con. 

It's a real conundrum for me, the game looks so cool in VR, yet admittedly I'm nowhere near as good while in VR when in fights.  Yet.  I keep switching back and forth, and probably should stick with VR.  I'll state with 100% certainty that I can fight far better in AH in VR than I can in DCS flying jets, due to no thumb hat views incorporated there. 

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 07:21:59 AM »

. . . It's a real conundrum for me, the game looks so cool in VR, yet admittedly I'm nowhere near as good while in VR when in fights.  Yet.  I keep switching back and forth, and probably should stick with VR . . .

Thanks Gman for your reply.   I agree.  Now that I have my video card setting in good shape, I want to spend more time in VR because the large size scale view is so cool. 

Sounds like practice, practice is the right answer.  At near 70, the old dog thing is working me over.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 01:20:07 PM »
Has anybody tried padlock view with VR?

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 03:39:50 PM »
Has anybody tried padlock view with VR?

I had a few minutes to test padlock out with vr.  I thought it might work in the rear and side views but it does not.  It will work if you turn off the camera like on trackir.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 02:21:18 PM »
I corresponded with Natural Point(TrackIR) about life without TrackIR when using VR.  I had hoped they might have in development, a rift camera plug in and or a possible 3rd party software program that would make use of TrackIR software to fix VR's limited turning view.

They replied they do not.  A sad day for us VR-trackir users.

With just a little boost in turning views, AH could have the best VR game in the business.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 04:56:48 PM »
YUP! I agree. Just a small tweak in curves after you hit 90 degrees would be handy. I mapped a hat switch, works ok, but not as well as it could be :old:
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 07:00:14 AM »
Doing what you are asking would make moist people very dizzy, disoriented, and/or nauseous, very quickly.  VR headsets are not 2D devices.  These devices are fooling your brain into thinking you are in a cockpit and if the world motion does not correspond to what the brain expects, then it can have very negative effects on your physical being.

The single jump to the rear view makes me disoriented for a few seconds after I have been flying a bit.  So mush so I do not use it.  I'll just look around behind me.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2017, 07:44:40 AM »
Doing what you are asking would make moist people very dizzy, disoriented, and/or nauseous, very quickly. . .

I do not agree.  I spent a lot of time developing my TrackIR profile to make head speed appear natural.  The speed on most profiles is fast.  My curves are very steep but have the speed slider set to .3.

I do think it could be done but it would be delicate.

If AH could pull this off, it would be way cool.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2017, 09:23:47 AM »
You can disagree all you like, but there is a significant difference in how 2D and 3D is perceived by your brain.  It is not anything conscious, but it is very different.

In VR, when you start doing things, which are not done in the real world, is when things get dicey.  2D is easy.  No problem there as it is completely disconnected from the real world.

Here is an example.  Take someone who has a fear of heights and have them look at a 2D scene looking down from the top of a skyscraper.  They will not be bothered by it.  Take that same scene and put it in a VR headset and they will panic.

Of course this assumes the headset is properly calibrated to the user.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 10:57:55 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Dobs

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2017, 10:53:16 AM »
NON-motion, full video simulators cause the same issue that skuzzy is referring to. Inner ear/brain conflict usually resulting in nausea or general sense of discomfort.

You can get acclimated to it, just takes time. 

The problem with checking "6" in RL is that most chairs we use are padded and resist swiveling your hips/butt.  Jets tend to have a firm, non-compression seat which makes it easy to  swivel hips/butt to enable better checking 6...of course it also depends on how tight you make your seat straps to the seat kit...too tight locks you in, too loose could cause problems in case of ejection.  Gotta be Goldilocks and make it "just right" :)

Anyword on higher res VR headsets yet?
GTX 980TI
Intel I7-6700K @4GHZ
32GB RAM
Fly at 3840x 2160 resolution

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2017, 11:01:08 AM »
There are some higher resolution panels coming, but they probably are not in a hurry to implement them as there are only one or two video cards on the market which could handle them.

My guess is they will wait for a generation of video cards so there are more which can drive higher resolutions.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline nooby52

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2017, 11:07:17 AM »
One simple solution to checking your six would be to install a rear-view mirror on some planes....right? I know your view back would be be somewhat limited but, with the addition of the REFLECTION feature in AH3 why couldn't there be a rear-view mirror? I may be showing my ignorance here (wouldn't be the first time), but what am I missing?

Flying as "South52" for VF-17 Jolly Rogers
17 Squadron - The Hardest Day Battle of Britain
204 Kokutai - Target Rabaul
610 Squadron -TFT Battle of Britain

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2017, 12:21:35 PM »
One simple solution to checking your six would be to install a rear-view mirror on some planes....right? I know your view back would be be somewhat limited but, with the addition of the REFLECTION feature in AH3 why couldn't there be a rear-view mirror? I may be showing my ignorance here (wouldn't be the first time), but what am I missing?

Your missing how small the view in a mirror really is.

HiTech

Offline Wraith_TMS

• Copper Member
      • My Web Depot
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2017, 12:30:50 PM »
There are some higher resolution panels coming, but they probably are not in a hurry to implement them as there are only one or two video cards on the market which could handle them.

My guess is they will wait for a generation of video cards so there are more which can drive higher resolutions.

Agreed.  IMO, gen 2 devices will probably see improved rez, possibly in conjunction with foveated rendering used along with some sort of eye-tracking to place the fully rendered sweet spot wherever the user is looking within the VR space.  Foveated rendering, even without eye tracking, does seem to reduce the load even on current cards, but we're a bit away from it being used as a common development practice, apparently.

Recent VR eye-tracking developments:
https://uploadvr.com/oculus-patented-new-eye-tracking-device-days-acquiring-eye-tribe/

http://www.roadtovr.com/vive-get-eye-tracking-add-optional-corrective-lenses/

FWIW,

o--[--Wraith----   
The Musketeers 
(In-game: Wraithe)
"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig." -- R. A. Heinlein