Author Topic: The Firefly  (Read 2620 times)

Offline USCH

• Silver Member
The Firefly
« on: April 09, 2017, 02:24:30 PM »
Its gun is all but worthless someone need to look into the math of the hitting power. i have been working on the achievement, and boy point blank a T34 turret will take a round and shrug it off.

Its not poor product placement either.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Re: The Firefly
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 03:51:39 PM »
I've gone head to head with a T34 no problems, even got the complimentary rant from GT101 on PM afterwards  :devil

Oh wait nevermind I use the M4A3-76W. Whats the difference between the firefly and -76W?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 03:55:12 PM by Vulcan »

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 04:03:32 PM »
I've gone head to head with a T34 no problems, even got the complimentary rant from GT101 on PM afterwards  :devil

Oh wait nevermind I use the M4A3-76W. Whats the difference between the firefly and -76W?

The Firefly has a weaker gun?   :noid

Offline USCH

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 04:19:53 PM »
Its not that I'm ranting or anything, I have grown to accept its poor penetration qualities.

But man either the perk cost is too high ( i would say low eny and un perk the darn thing) or the penetration needs to be accurate. I had a level 346ft shot to the front hull of a panzer H and it bounced... its become just silly. 2500kills in the thing? pfft I'll be 250 years old by the time that happens.

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 04:36:27 PM »
Spend more time in the Firefly. It takes time to learn how it works.
It will take out every tank in the game. It will not take much damage because it is a M-4 and it is slow 20 mph. But the gun is excellent. Use it as a long range tank. Kill stuff from 2500 -3000 and you will do fine.

<S>
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2017, 04:39:43 PM »
Its not that I'm ranting or anything, I have grown to accept its poor penetration qualities.

But man either the perk cost is too high ( i would say low eny and un perk the darn thing) or the penetration needs to be accurate. I had a level 346ft shot to the front hull of a panzer H and it bounced... its become just silly. 2500kills in the thing? pfft I'll be 250 years old by the time that happens.

Tiger killer?
Don't think so at least not in game.
Hetzers just seem to roll right at you soaking every round you pump into them until they are ready to fire there first shot.

Couple of videos on Youtube worth watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBrOomoQJyc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__Y8YJeas4I

http://www.theshermantank.com/category/75mm-turret/

One of the two actual gun sights used in the firefly.

Offline USCH

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2017, 06:09:54 PM »
It will take out every tank in the game. It will not take much damage because it is a M-4 and it is slow 20 mph. But the gun is excellent. Use it as a long range tank. Kill stuff from 2500 -3000 and you will do fine.

<S>
Mano i have been using it since it came out bro (not every day all be it) but you get the point. i bounced off the side of a hetzer at 400 too..

Offline RUSH1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 01:26:07 PM »

<S>

I agree.  I've had no problem with the tank's gun from long range.  I would take it out more often if not for it's top speed only being 20 mph.
“Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty.” - Ronald Reagan

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2017, 02:00:02 PM »
I agree it's not good enough to deserve such a perk...M18 is a much better tank
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline ONTOS

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2017, 02:11:11 PM »
I think the Firefly's  main gun is the same as the 17 pound field gun (barrel length being the difference). The Firefly's gun is more powerful than the Tiger I main gun and is only beat by the Tiger II. I like the Firefly, it's weakness is it's armour or lack there of. The M18's only asset is it's speed.

Offline FBKampfer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2017, 02:16:00 PM »
You do realize there are armor and penetration tables, correct?
AvA Development Group
Freebird SAC member

Great men are forged in fire; it is the privilege of lesser men to light the flames.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2017, 02:46:37 PM »
Never could figure out why it is a perked tank.  I understand the perk value is to discourage use in a side imbalance.  I think you could give perks away for each sortie and it would still be left in the hanger just because of the speed.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 02:54:44 PM by Randy1 »

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2017, 04:32:51 PM »
USCH,

What happens offline if you fill the drone slots with all the tanks you are having trouble with, then spawn out of the local hanger and shoot at them, same ranges and shoot for the same locations on those tanks?
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2017, 05:22:46 PM »
wow the gun on the Firefly is a 17pdr. it hits hard and kills what it hits. I had no problem with it save for the lack of armor and its slow speed.. the amour historically correct M4/firefly has always been weak--the M4 speed is what 24-25 mph--shouldn't the firefly be the same, unless it's 17pdr that slows it down(will have to read up on it) but I had no problem getting my achievement in it-uhh maybe your just a bad shot-sorry--the T-34's have sloped armor. The Panthers and tigerII's have heavier armor but can be destroyed by side and rear hits
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline USCH

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2017, 06:59:10 PM »
but I had no problem getting my achievement in it-uhh maybe your just a bad shot-sorry--
you have 2,500 kills in it? I guess i must suck then case closed.