Author Topic: Field of View  (Read 930 times)

Offline Infidelz

• Nickel Member
Field of View
« on: April 12, 2017, 07:02:07 PM »
Interesting article discussing field of view and the future of VR.
https://uploadvr.com/wearality-180-degree-fov-lens-vr/

A temporary fix, would be doubling the game world travel as you approach the 90 off center point for right and left side. If one turns 90 degrees to either side, one gets 180 degrees. Similar in a way to how the TrackIR works in game.

Is this possible on the AH side?

Offline N95KF

• Copper Member
Re: Field of View
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 08:06:06 PM »
You dont want to exaggerate head movement in VR, trust me, you'll be puking instantly.  When your entire field of view is immersed @ 90fps in 3-D, it is not the same as TrackIR at all.
:airplane:

49Alpha

"We, not they, will win the final battle; and we, not they, will make the final peace!"

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 05:40:59 AM »
This is not a 2D device.  If you start mucking with the presentation and moving things out of sync with your movement, it could bring out serious bouts of nausea, headaches, and/or dizziness.

You are dealing with a device which is fooling the brain into thinking it is really there.  It works on both a subconscious and conscious level.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 06:44:07 AM »
. . . If you start mucking with the presentation and moving things out of sync with your movement, it could bring out serious bouts of nausea, headaches, and/or dizziness.

You are dealing with a device which is fooling the brain into thinking it is really there.  It works on both a subconscious and conscious level.

The 17#'er is really bad

Offline Infidelz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 08:09:35 PM »
This is not a 2D device.  If you start mucking with the presentation and moving things out of sync with your movement, it could bring out serious bouts of nausea, headaches, and/or dizziness.

So how is that much different than using a snap view on my stick to see behind me while wearing my oculus. I read somewhere that TIR with oculus had been tried on some sims. I might give that a shot when I get some time. I can adjust where in kicks in and limit it to yaw. I will keep a barf bag handy.

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2017, 08:22:18 PM »
Although scaling may well induce nausea, the issue with current VT implementations is the effective tunnel vision meaning that hat switch view swapping is virtually (pun intended) a required function to remain competitive in terms of air combat.  I notice that the default FOV for the Rift version of AH is 90 which I think is a bit low.  I would have thought somewhere from 100 to 120 would be about right in terms of accounting for peripheral vision.

I had not thought of using Rift and Trackir concurrently, will have to do some research.  Moving home at moment so no time to fly but hoping I will get on next week some time, if the internet connection at the new house works, gonna try it tomorrow.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2017, 12:24:06 AM »
... I notice that the default FOV for the Rift version of AH is 90 which I think is a bit low.  I would have thought somewhere from 100 to 120 would be about right in terms of accounting for peripheral vision.

The RIFT FOV is wider than the default AH3 FOV. The Rift FOV is 110. You can't change the Rift FOV. The AH3 90 FOV is for monitors only. You can set the FOV for monitors from 45 -152.

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2017, 01:39:01 AM »
The RIFT FOV is wider than the default AH3 FOV. The Rift FOV is 110. You can't change the Rift FOV. The AH3 90 FOV is for monitors only. You can set the FOV for monitors from 45 -152.

Ahh, so when using the Rift version the FOV simply shows the standard default rather than the Rift FOV.  Roger that.

Offline Infidelz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2017, 04:40:52 AM »
More reading last night and was reminded of the narrow field of view of the TIR. I did get a profile setup last night but ran out of time and haven't got the wiring or clamping to the Rift done. Suspect I am going to be disappointed.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 04:59:33 AM by Infidelz »

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2017, 06:15:03 AM »
So how is that much different than using a snap view on my stick to see behind me while wearing my oculus. I read somewhere that TIR with oculus had been tried on some sims. I might give that a shot when I get some time. I can adjust where in kicks in and limit it to yaw. I will keep a barf bag handy.

The snap view to the rear can cause a moment of brain lock where the sudden change in view confuses the brain for just a moment.

If you are trying to get a 3D headset to act like TrackIR, then you probably should stick with TrackIR as it is a much better 2D solution than trying to get a 3D headset to act like a 2D solution.  It certainly would be healthier.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2017, 11:01:25 AM »
Ahh, so when using the Rift version the FOV simply shows the standard default rather than the Rift FOV.  Roger that.

No. When you use the Rift you always get the Rift FOV. The AH3 FOV settings only affect the monitor view. The Rift is always 110.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2017, 12:43:16 PM »
No. When you use the Rift you always get the Rift FOV. The AH3 FOV settings only affect the monitor view. The Rift is always 110.

And in that is the VR's real advantage.  Wide FOV but you are seeing your target like it was 80 FOV.

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2017, 02:55:57 PM »

I will clarify my original response.  When using the Rift version of AH3 and attempting to change the FOV it is shown by AH3 as being 90.  This is in fact incorrect, as we are told that it is in fact 110.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2017, 03:00:58 PM »
The only thing in the "Video Settings" which has any effect on any VR headset is the texture size, and maybe the font size setting. 

The rest are irrelevant to a VR headset and should be set to reflect any monitor actually connected to the computer.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline N95KF

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2017, 04:27:21 PM »
The rift also incorporates Wraparound Rotation Offsets.  Lateral offset, vertical offset, and Roll offset.  This twists and warps the images around and look funky on a 2D monitor. 
:airplane:

49Alpha

"We, not they, will win the final battle; and we, not they, will make the final peace!"