Author Topic: "FOTO JO" Armed recon P-38.  (Read 6458 times)

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
Re: "FOTO JO" Armed recon P-38.
« Reply #75 on: July 02, 2017, 01:46:23 PM »
Since you asked: No to this skin. No to the black P-38. I was glad when we got that pulled from the game. Let's not take a step backward.

Already happened B-29s that had only 1 defensive gun position and the Atom bomb in real life. In. T-34/85s with German markings. In. Il-2 variants that are skinned that are not the version we have in game now. In. B-24s & B-17s that never dropped bombs. In. Bomber squadron formation skin. In. DC-3'S that are not C-47's. In. Most P-47-40s in game are not P-47-40's. In.

The only requirement for Recon aircraft was that had to be armed.
This aircraft meets the criteria more than any of the skins I mentioned above. Plus this aircraft did start out being a regular P-38 that was fully armed & was stripped then rearmed again.

Krusty the horse has bolted.

Offline Owlblink

• Nickel Member
« Reply #76 on: July 02, 2017, 03:56:27 PM »
Already happened B-29s that had only 1 defensive gun position and the Atom bomb in real life. In. T-34/85s with German markings. In. Il-2 variants that are skinned that are not the version we have in game now. In. B-24s & B-17s that never dropped bombs. In. Bomber squadron formation skin. In. DC-3'S that are not C-47's. In. Most P-47-40s in game are not P-47-40's. In.

The only requirement for Recon aircraft was that had to be armed.
This aircraft meets the criteria more than any of the skins I mentioned above. Plus this aircraft did start out being a regular P-38 that was fully armed & was stripped then rearmed again.

Krusty the horse has bolted.

+1

I was going to make a similar post earlier regarding other examples. For instance there's a skin on the 109G6 that was on a different model of the 109G6, the A/S. We have skins on the 51B poney that were really on C models and so forth. Inerestingly, the dive flaps on P47Ds were initially (may have always been but not positive) post factory production field modifications and the little I've read on them suggests the same thing for the 38Ls. The Ki-84s hardly used the best fuel for them and were mostly rendered inferior to the Ki-61 due to Japans loss of access to the better quality fuel production it required to perform loke it does in AH. Same with the 109K-4 and limits on its fuel.
There is some room for accommodations that doesn't completely overstep parameters.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 04:00:01 PM by Owlblink »
Kommando Nowotny FSO
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #77 on: July 04, 2017, 08:28:48 AM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 10:47:35 AM by Skuzzy »
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #78 on: July 06, 2017, 10:36:25 AM »
He asked for opinions. I gave mine. Just because we have bad examples doesn't mean you should encourage more. Two wrongs don't make a right. We should strive to be better, not use a convenient excuse that doesn't hold water or stand up to scrutiny. That's why I say let's not go backward. Only forward.

In regards to skins already in-game: Sub variants of 109s are a small matter and open to argument. If you know a lot about the nuances of difference versions, there are some skins that could go on 2 different in-game models and a decision has to be made. Same with P-47-D40s. Gotta put them on something, and that's the best fit. No captured markings should be in the game, period.

The problem skins are the nuke toting B-29s, IMO, and the TAIC skins on zeros, the training (non-combat) schemes and squadron hacks. They shouldn't be in the game IMO. I also agree that formation bombers (I'm looking at you B-24s) shouldn't be allowed at all. Nor should the milk running midnight pamphlet dropping B-17.

However, please check the facts before complaining about some variants. There was absolutely no difference between P-51Bs and P-51Cs. 100% identical just different designations for different factory runs. A lot of the "these skins don't belong on this plane" comments get lost because sometimes there's a valid justification for it. Then when there isn't a valid justification it slips through the system (or somebody misrepresents it to get it past the system because they just want their skin in-game). Learning more always helps with understanding a skin and the references related to it.

Once you get the facts right in the first place, you don't need me, Ace. So keep the insults to a minimum if you can. Thanks.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #79 on: July 06, 2017, 09:48:18 PM »
+1

I was going to make a similar post earlier regarding other examples. For instance there's a skin on the 109G6 that was on a different model of the 109G6, the A/S. We have skins on the 51B poney that were really on C models and so forth. Inerestingly, the dive flaps on P47Ds were initially (may have always been but not positive) post factory production field modifications and the little I've read on them suggests the same thing for the 38Ls. The Ki-84s hardly used the best fuel for them and were mostly rendered inferior to the Ki-61 due to Japans loss of access to the better quality fuel production it required to perform loke it does in AH. Same with the 109K-4 and limits on its fuel.
There is some room for accommodations that doesn't completely overstep parameters.

Dive flaps were factory produced kits added to some of the later J models in the field. It wasn't a field modification however.  P-38J-25 and the L models had the dive flaps as standard.  I wouldn't consider that a field mod such as what this one off bird is.  Still comes down to what HTC wants to do in the end. 
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #80 on: August 04, 2017, 12:32:55 AM »
Contacted the 9th Photo Reconnaissance Squadron Association on Facebook some time back.
I just got a reply as to why they armed Foto-Jo.

"As for Foto Jo, the story has it that a lone Japanese fighter strafed the base (blank at the moment on which particular one) a number of times within a week or so. The ground crew mounted two 50 cals and waited for his return.
He did return and Foto Jo got air born but never encountered the fighter."

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #81 on: August 04, 2017, 01:19:17 AM »
Contacted the 9th Photo Reconnaissance Squadron Association on Facebook some time back.
I just got a reply as to why they armed Foto-Jo.

"As for Foto Jo, the story has it that a lone Japanese fighter strafed the base (blank at the moment on which particular one) a number of times within a week or so. The ground crew mounted two 50 cals and waited for his return.
He did return and Foto Jo got air born but never encountered the fighter."

Cool that they replied.  Thanks for sharing that Lyric :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #82 on: September 01, 2017, 09:26:50 AM »
Did we ever get a ruling from HTC on this?
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
325th VFG - "The Checkertails"
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)