Author Topic: Level Bombing with Oculus  (Read 1420 times)

Offline APDrone

• Gold Member
Level Bombing with Oculus
« on: April 19, 2017, 06:01:14 PM »
Holy cow!! I didn't realize how much I relied on the keyboard until I tried a bombing mission with the Rift.

Most of the stuff I have gotten mapped to my X52.. but a few things are a bit unwieldy.

Gunner positions, in particular.

I guess this could be a wish.  Some way to allow you to scroll through the gunner positions with the low end at '1' ( pilot ) and high end at '9'?  that way I could assign one of those wheel things on my throttle as the gunner cycle and spin through that to jump spots.

Feeling around the keyboard .. even peeking through the nose-gap.. is frightengly time consuming.

Simply awesome effect tho..  Lovin' the Rift.

:salute

The other thing I'll try is actually using the mode switch and see if that helps. 
AKDrone

Scenario "Masters of the Air" X.O. 100th Bombardment Group

Offline terrydew

• Copper Member
Re: Level Bombing with Oculus
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 06:30:09 PM »
Try Voice Attack. Works well and solves a lot of problems in VR.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 04:00:11 PM »
Try Voice Attack. Works well and solves a lot of problems in VR.
What is that? Where can one get it? That's just what the doctor would have ordered, if he knew about it :O
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline APDrone

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 04:15:00 PM »
What is that? Where can one get it? That's just what the doctor would have ordered, if he knew about it :O

https://voiceattack.com/

I haven't done anything with the info yet.  Kinda leary learning yet another new-fangled gadget.

Getting too old for all this high tech wizardry.

Get off my lawn!

:old:
AKDrone

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 04:16:46 PM »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline iaqmya

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 10:06:54 AM »
I use voice attack so I don't have to reach for the keyboard.  I've got it for just about everything from clipboard, gear, flaps, etc.  I have one command, "flaps 3" to have three notches of flaps all at once.  I do not use track IR or VR yet.  I have heard/read that there is a way to use voice attack to type text messages but have not worked on that yet. 

To find it, just search the net for "voice attack" :aok

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 03:51:54 PM »
 :uhoh Yeah, I ended up doing a search for it. Its funny, I always forget about that  :old: Looked pretty nice. AND it works in AH even cooler.
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline APDrone

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 04:12:15 PM »
I can envision myself talking to my computer..

Wife's gonna think I'm developing Tourette's syndrome..  which, ironically, is not that far from turrets.. which is what I'd really be operating.

Cosmic?

:noid
AKDrone

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2017, 03:45:26 PM »
Well...it works :O Its going to take some time for it to learn my speech patterns? :headscratch: Guess it has trouble with Farsi in a redneck dialect :x Thought I spoke English :old:

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2017, 06:33:30 PM »
I put little raised dots on pertinent keys for using the keyboard when I use the Rift.
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2017, 11:56:18 PM »
There are custom key cap makers for that too, I do the same when using VR for sims.

Offline N95KF

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2017, 11:02:55 AM »
very hard to bomb without seeing keyboard and I don't have enough buttons to map for:

F6 - Enter Bombsight
U - Calibration Mode
Y - Calibrate Bombsight (8 Seconds)
O - Open bomb bay doors
Z - toggle zoom
+/- = zoom

Keypad 6 - to look out the bombers nose for a visual on target

Even if I did, how would I know where they are? LoL.
:airplane:

49Alpha

"We, not they, will win the final battle; and we, not they, will make the final peace!"

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2017, 12:42:14 PM »
Yup,takes some time figuring out priorities for mapping controllers. The only ones you have listed that I actually NEEDED to map was the Calibrate(8 sec) "Y". Already had zoom on hat switch. I do use X52 so I had plenty of hat switches that were mapped. Most of those keys you mentioned could be done fairly easy with "Voice Attack". It takes some work, well for me, to get the voice recognition to learn your speech patterns...but when you get it working :aok

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2017, 01:18:00 PM »
The cheapest method is to take advantage of the four controller modes AH provides.  You can setup two of your favorite bombers in modes 3 and 4.  You then use the hat switch to select guns and other buttons to do other bomber chores.

The next method is to use a thrustmaster cougar MFD panel.  Using TARGET software from thrustmaster,  you set up programed buttons for things like salvo, and even automated, fixed-time calibration.  Every time I hit my calibration button, it does a complete calibration cycle holding for 2 seconds returning me back to the bomb sight..  I put my panel low so I can see next to my nose.  The corner rocker buttons are easy to find in the blind.  The cougar panels and TARGET software are really nice in regular AH3 as well.

Offline terrydew

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2017, 07:18:24 AM »
The cheapest method is to take advantage of the four controller modes AH provides.  You can setup two of your favorite bombers in modes 3 and 4.  You then use the hat switch to select guns and other buttons to do other bomber chores.

The next method is to use a thrustmaster cougar MFD panel.  Using TARGET software from thrustmaster,  you set up programed buttons for things like salvo, and even automated, fixed-time calibration.  Every time I hit my calibration button, it does a complete calibration cycle holding for 2 seconds returning me back to the bomb sight..  I put my panel low so I can see next to my nose.  The corner rocker buttons are easy to find in the blind.  The cougar panels and TARGET software are really nice in regular AH3 as well.

You can do the same thing in Voice Attack plus have voice control. It also lets you map its commands to a stick button in addition to the voice command. I also can tell it which bomber I am in and it then knows which position is top even if the keys are different in that airplane.

If you take 15 or 20 minutes to train it the recognition is very accurate.

If HiTech would write a plugin for it just for AH it would be even easier to use.