Author Topic: Improved Rift head tracking  (Read 1081 times)

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
Improved Rift head tracking
« on: April 28, 2017, 10:06:22 PM »
I learned of a setting that noticeably improved the Rift head tracking for me.  It made it smoother and fixed a left rear view problem I had in the A6M5b.

The fix was to split the available CPU cores between Aces High and the OculusVR programs.  I have a quad core and assigned two cores to each program.  Originally both programs had all four cores assigned to each.

You can try this for yourself by:
1) Starting up Aces High with your Rift as you normally do.
2) Take your HMD off and run the Windows Task Manager while Aces High and the Rift are still running.
3) Under the "Processes" tab you should see the Aces High DX11 program and OculusVR.
4) Right click on each of these programs and you will see the "Set Afinity" option.
5) Click on the "Set Afinity" option and a window displaying the cores will appear.
6) Assign half of the cores to Aces High and half to OculusVR.  The setting will take effect immediately.
7) Put your Rift back on and look around to see the improvement.

This is not a permanent setting.  As soon as you close Aces High and the Rift programs it will revert back to using all the cores.

I did find a way to assign the cores to the Aces High program automatically by changing its short cut.
This Youtube explains how to do it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht4bV8IuWcM

I found that changing the assigned cores only to Aces High program still made tracking smoother and fixed the left rear view so that I could look around the headrest.

If you have head tracking problems or would like it to be smoother you might try this.

Hope this helps!

TShark
"If you are alone and meet a lone Zero, run like hell...You're outnumbered" - Joe Foss USMC 26 kills

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
Re: Improved Rift head tracking
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 07:18:15 PM »
What sort of tracking issues? I am not having any tracking problems, which is good I guess. In the Zeke I just set up head position to center line,and forward. Seems the pilot is a bit right side on default? Seemed that way for me, I use a look back left button on hat switch also(all planes) . It works just like in AH2, can adjust head position for that view command. Hold button, use arrows and pg up/pg dwn to set position then F10 to save. As far as head tracking goes, I have had zero loss of tracking. The tight FOV was only thing I needed to get the hang of.
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2017, 09:17:18 PM »
I learned of a setting that noticeably improved the Rift head tracking for me.  It made it smoother and fixed a left rear view problem I had in the A6M5b.

The fix was to split the available CPU cores between Aces High and the OculusVR programs.  I have a quad core and assigned two cores to each program.  Originally both programs had all four cores assigned to each.

You can try this for yourself by:
1) Starting up Aces High with your Rift as you normally do.
2) Take your HMD off and run the Windows Task Manager while Aces High and the Rift are still running.
3) Under the "Processes" tab you should see the Aces High DX11 program and OculusVR.
4) Right click on each of these programs and you will see the "Set Afinity" option.
5) Click on the "Set Afinity" option and a window displaying the cores will appear.
6) Assign half of the cores to Aces High and half to OculusVR.  The setting will take effect immediately.
7) Put your Rift back on and look around to see the improvement.

This is not a permanent setting.  As soon as you close Aces High and the Rift programs it will revert back to using all the cores.

I did find a way to assign the cores to the Aces High program automatically by changing its short cut.
This Youtube explains how to do it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht4bV8IuWcM

I found that changing the assigned cores only to Aces High program still made tracking smoother and fixed the left rear view so that I could look around the headrest.

If you have head tracking problems or would like it to be smoother you might try this.

Hope this helps!

:aok

:salute
Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 10:36:35 PM »
What sort of tracking issues? I am not having any tracking problems, which is good I guess. In the Zeke I just set up head position to center line,and forward. Seems the pilot is a bit right side on default? Seemed that way for me, I use a look back left button on hat switch also(all planes) . It works just like in AH2, can adjust head position for that view command. Hold button, use arrows and pg up/pg dwn to set position then F10 to save. As far as head tracking goes, I have had zero loss of tracking. The tight FOV was only thing I needed to get the hang of.

With the default, all cores used, my left rear view was only about 1/3 of the way past the headrest, while the right rear view was correct.  This error appears even using my HOTAS view switch, which I have used in the A6M5b for years.  The AH DX9 shows the correct view and the DX11 version without the Rift is also correct.  The first thing I tried was adjusting the head position with the keyboard, but with no luck.  Changing the cores as I described fixed the problem and it appeared to smooth out the tracking (although it was already tracking pretty smooth).  I have repeatedly produced and solved the view problem using just the core assignment. 

I also play Elite Dangerous and there have been numerous problems with the Rift head tracking momentarily losing contact, resulting in gray screen flashes, since the release of Oculus driver 1.14.  Using the core assignments has solved the issue for many, so I thought I would try it in AH.  I really wasn't expecting it to fix the view problem, I just wanted to see if it made head tracking smoother.

This problem may very well be a combination of a bug in the 1.14 driver, the users CPU, and the number of processes being run on the system at the time.  In any case if you have a problem with the Rift or just want to see if you can get better performance then I suggest giving this a try.  It is easy to do and is easily reversible.

Hope this helps

TShark
"If you are alone and meet a lone Zero, run like hell...You're outnumbered" - Joe Foss USMC 26 kills

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 05:30:59 PM »
 :confused:Thats weird :O I don't seem to have that particular issue! Im certainly not going to complain :x I know different gear different results, just seems odd to me. Still trying to grasp how Windows actually works, so... :old: Glad you found a fix for it though :rock It will surely help others :salute
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 08:33:48 AM »
... The AH DX9 shows the correct view and the DX11 version without the Rift is also correct.  ...

You do know the Rift version uses different settings? It sounds like the head position got remapped in VR.

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2017, 09:26:30 AM »
You do know the Rift version uses different settings? It sounds like the head position got remapped in VR.

That is what I thought FLS.  Aside from the Ctrl-F4 to center the head tracking, can you adjust specific views in the Rift? 
I tried the standard keyboard view adjustments and it made no difference.  It is strange that doing nothing other than adjusting the core usage changes the maximum view angle of the left rear.  Additionally, I still have snap views mapped to my HOTAS.  If I use a straight left snap view and then move my head around I get the same left rear view limits based on core assignment.  So it would appear this is not so much sensor tracking issue.  This is not a big deal, but it is interesting.

TShark

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2017, 10:44:45 AM »
Be sure to check your power management settings in your computer!
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2017, 12:15:56 PM »
That is what I thought FLS.  Aside from the Ctrl-F4 to center the head tracking, can you adjust specific views in the Rift? 
I tried the standard keyboard view adjustments and it made no difference.  It is strange that doing nothing other than adjusting the core usage changes the maximum view angle of the left rear.  Additionally, I still have snap views mapped to my HOTAS.  If I use a straight left snap view and then move my head around I get the same left rear view limits based on core assignment.  So it would appear this is not so much sensor tracking issue.  This is not a big deal, but it is interesting.

You can adjust the keypad views in VR and they will save separately from the non-VR keypad views.

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2017, 02:56:16 PM »
You can adjust the keypad views in VR and they will save separately from the non-VR keypad views.

Took me awhile, but I figured out how to change VR views.  You don't use the keyboard arrows or pgup/pgdn keys.  Instead you 1)choose the view, i.e. #1 numpad key for left rear. 2)move your head around till you can see past the headrest. 3)while looking at that view with the HMD you press the * key to save the view.

Thanks for the suggestion Skuzzy.  I did check my power management settings and everything appears to be set correctly.

FWIW, I now have the correct left rear view set and put AH back onto all cores.

Thanks for the help.  Sorry it is taking me a bit to get used to the VR settings.

TShark

Offline hotcoffe

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2017, 09:34:46 AM »
well now reading this made me wonder if it is any help setting AH 3 and my track IR on seperate cores and also assigning them higher priority, maybe that might solve also the screen freezing problem...
- Der Wander Zirkus -

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2017, 04:59:09 PM »
Just might? :aok That is one thing I haven't noticed when in VR :uhoh Cant remember ever seeing that stutter since I have been using it. Happened quite frequently when in game with TIR. Might be on to something :salute