Author Topic: Quality of power?  (Read 730 times)

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Quality of power?
« on: May 10, 2017, 12:33:19 AM »
Since some of you know much more about electricity than I could ever learn, let me ask this:

Supposedly everyone agrees that solar power is the least resource consuming way to create electricity. My question is, is the AC transformed with the cheapest available Chinese inverter clean enough to be used for a desktop or will it prematurely kill the power supply and/or other components?
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Re: Quality of power?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 03:32:58 AM »
Really depends on the quality of the components used in the "cheapest Chinese inverter" you're thinking of using, that would be in question, I would assume

Might could give you a more accurate assessment, if you could provide your "Solar power accumulating/storage system" build out sheet....

Hope this helps

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 06:00:01 AM »
I started writing a response, but when I realized it was getting to the size which made one of Pudgie's post look like a mere quip, I thought better.

I found an accurate article about this for you.

https://www.altestore.com/blog/2015/10/pure-sine-wave-vs-modified-sine-wave-whats-the-difference/

Bottom line, you need a true sine wave output from the inverter.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 06:02:48 AM »
Power is power. However you want to harness it. Be it water, wind, sun, coal, nuclear. As long as there is a steady supply of whichever voltage and Hz you'll be fine. However... nothing wrong with testing the power first to make sure it's consistent.
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 09:15:53 AM »
Thanks for the replies. The article was very useful.

So true sine wave it should be and enough of wattage to supply every device.

That still leaves me with the question, since the computer draws different amounts of juice depending on what it's doing, would a barely sufficient inverter cause issues during spikes?
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 09:37:04 AM »
Power is power. However you want to harness it. Be it water, wind, sun, coal, nuclear. As long as there is a steady supply of whichever voltage and Hz you'll be fine. However... nothing wrong with testing the power first to make sure it's consistent.

That is not correct at all, especially with AC.  DC is pretty much a no-brainer and just needs some decent filtering, but AC is very different.  Sine wave versus square wave will impact all the devices attached to it.  A dirty AC power source *will* cause every AC motor attached to it to run hotter and use more current.

A switching power supply will lose enormous efficiencies if the input AC power is not a true sine wave.

Read the article I linked to.  It is accurate.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2017, 02:57:18 AM »
 :)
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario