Author Topic: Sphere Size! OK! What?  (Read 451 times)

Offline TEShaw

• Silver Member
Sphere Size! OK! What?
« on: May 15, 2017, 02:59:39 PM »
I guess I see the interior surface of the sphere you guys talk about where radio comms and clipboard sideshow shows...

This is the first I've been referred to 'sphere size';  how and where do I adjust it or comprehend it?

A search for that term in all forums shows no definition or instructions (as far as I can tell).

What gives?

Thank you.

regards,

Airman T. E. Shaw

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
Re: Sphere Size! OK! What?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 03:06:11 PM »
It is in "View"  If I remember right.

First though change the opaque slider for the text boxes in the "GUI" so that you can easily see the text boxes background then screw around with the sphere size.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 03:06:12 AM »
Sorry about that TESHAW. I had those questions for some time now. Just didn't understand what it does or how to even frame a question
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline TEShaw

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 06:02:38 AM »
...and why 'the sphere'? 

It's so annoying in info windows in The Tower, in x-Plane menus, in Rift settings, etc.

Is it somehow necessary for digital representation?

Or is it aesthetic in that rectangular planar objects become become distorted as they move away from the center of vision like wacky parallelograms?  (I've forgotten the math nomenclature for 'wacky parallelograms')

I'd prefer wacky parallelograms. 

You're in the tower...the grid of the windows is flat and planar; I'd prefer the map and menus appear as planes parallel to the window grid like in simple Cartesian geometry- not these fevered hallucinations of Blaise Pascal.

And...it's not difficult to reach for the mouse and drag and click.  This having to move one's head to scroll through a menu is downright illiterate.  Bring back Rene Descartes!

Offline TEShaw

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 06:11:30 AM »
So it's early morning.  Maybe the word 'trapezoidal' better describes 'wacky parallelograms' when discussing perspective distortion.

Alright already!