Author Topic: An absolute must in VR  (Read 3128 times)

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
An absolute must in VR
« on: May 18, 2017, 11:23:56 PM »
Well its my own fault, I guess? I just noticed some decent scratches on my Oculus lenses, both! MAKE SURE IF YOU WEAR GLASSES, that the glasses don't even get close to your VR lenses :furious I never even noticed and had the mask secured fairly tight. I don't recall any instances of it slipping around, or even hearing them clank whether putting the mask on or taking it off. Must have been in contact with lenses at some point. maybe even after putting it on. Reason I think that they were touching during use? YEP, matching scratches on my eye glasses. Less severe ,but there. So with that in mind, does anyone know if the Oculus lenses are glass or plastic? If plastic, I may be able to buff out the scratches. It didn't take very long to do this scratching AT ALL. 5, FIVE weeks and I haven't been on VR for the whole time, maybe about 40 %. So save your self some hassle and try to add to the mask pads, at least.  :bhead
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: An absolute must in VR
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 07:25:18 AM »
You don't need the headset tight on your head. You just don't want it to move when you turn your head. It should be comfortable like a hat. If your glasses have large frames you might want to get some that fit the Rift better.  I've used my Rift with glasses for several months with no scratches.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 12:19:41 PM »
Right. It wasn't Tight Tight, but it didnt slip and flop when I looked around. Not sure how it happened, my frames are small and fit the headset with ease. Every time I take off the headset, it comes right off with no need to push my glasses back into place. It was just that one spot, on each lens, right where the view merges while looking straight forward. Must have touched, I never felt abnormal pressure on the nose piece of my glasses even. Was meant to just make folk aware of possibility of unforeseen problems with eye glasses. I missed it, and thought I had paid enough attention to it. :uhoh Guess not. The Rift lenses are CONVEX, and eye glasses are Concave so there is a potential for them coming into contact. Just make sure you don't EVER let them touch.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 12:30:54 PM by 1stpar3 »
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 07:35:23 AM »
I've only recently received my Rift, but will never wear it with glasses as i have seen how badly the lenses get scratched when looking at other peoples.  My husband ordered some correcting lenses for his which worked great, and I am now also waiting for some.  Until they arrive i will put up with slight blurriness rather than risk scratching the lenses.
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 07:46:40 AM »
I wonder if you could get a pair of glasses just for oculus and just add some of those felt sticky pads to the front.. so it'd never actually be glasses touching Oculus.

Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 09:24:17 PM »
I haven't even hooked my Rift up yet, and I wont have all the parts for my new VR computer until probably Monday, but I went ahead and ordered a pair of these:   
https://widmovr.com/product/oculus-rift-prescription-lenses-adapter.

I don't think I would be very happy playing without my glasses, and scratching the lenses on the Rift is out of the question. I also order a Rift cover (Extra Soft) from them. It's suppose to make the fitting of the lens inserts into the Rift easier. I'll let you know how this works out.

:salute
Sik
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 11:13:24 PM »
 :frown: Wish I had seen this stuff earlier. Yes,I would invest in some of those! I have it managed a bit, NOW. Was a bummer though to be sure! Hope posting that,that I saved some heart ache :police:

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2020, 06:20:34 AM »
I have a very bad stigmatism in my right eye.

I am considered legally blind without glasses.

I tried the prescription vr lenses but they were not correct.

My eye doc said with my vision he doubted they would work for me.

I did the lense mod in my vive pro shortly after getting as I found the clear lenses were better for me than the fresnel lenses that came with it.

I use my computer glasses in the headset.

I have replaced both the lenses and my glasses twice in the last two years from scratches caused by the vr headset.

Currently both lenses in my glasses and one of the vive lenses are scatched again.

I just put up with it at this point.

<S>

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2020, 08:32:11 AM »
1stpar3 - I had the same experience with my first VR headset - a Lenovo Explorer.  I wore glasses while using it, but thought I was always very careful about maintaining distance between the lenses and my glasses.  Yet, before long, I noticed a smudge in one of my eye's views - and it turned out to be a scratch, caused by my eye glasses.

I was able to buff out the scratch using this product:

https://www.amazon.com/Polywatch-Plastic-Lens-Scratch-Remover/dp/B0014R9V9O

Worked like a charm and restored the lense perfectly. 

After that, I cut an additional foam pad for the circumference of my headset out of some old unused adhesive-backed foam weather stripping I had saved.   This increased the distance between my eye glasses and the headset's lenses and prevented further scratching.

I am not positive, but I think a product like Meguiar's PlastX might work just as well.   

When I got a new headset, I ordered special corrective lense inserts from VROptician for my specific headset, ground to my distance vision prescription, so I no longer need to wear glasses in the headset.   

Online Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2020, 10:22:34 AM »
I got the prescription lenses for my RiftS early on and they've worked out perfectly. I have an extreme scrip with astigmatism too and have no issues with clarity at all. I was afraid of scratching the lenses on the headset while wearing my glasses so these do double duty adding a layer of protection. But if I had scratched them I also read that polywatch will restore them. Good thing too as those lenses aren't replaceable!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2020, 03:48:13 PM »
I got prescription lenses from that Polish outfit (OVR?). Been great.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2020, 07:38:50 PM »
I got the prescription lenses for my RiftS early on and they've worked out perfectly. I have an extreme scrip with astigmatism too and have no issues with clarity at all. I was afraid of scratching the lenses on the headset while wearing my glasses so these do double duty adding a layer of protection. But if I had scratched them I also read that polywatch will restore them. Good thing too as those lenses aren't replaceable!

For the unenlightened:  How do you get prescription lenses for a Rift S?  How do you insert them?

How much do they cost?

- Oldman the Dim

Online Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2020, 07:55:45 PM »
How much they cost might depend on how strong your scrip is. Mine is pretty extreme and that limited me to VROpticians, who near as I could tell at the time were the only ones that did them above a certain point. I added blue filter so that bumped it up to around a couple hundred bucks shipped from either Germany or Poland, I forget which. Expensive? Yeah. But that's the deal every time I buy a new pair of regular glasses. I am generally blind as a bat! Fortunately, I wear contracts most of the time these days and put a lot less wear and tear on them so that's not very often.

They install pretty effortlessly and that's a good thing as I can just pop them out if I'm wearing my contacts. If you look at the lenses on the RiftS there's a plastic ring around the lens. That pops out. The new lenses also have a ring that pops right on. They aren't exactly round so you can't screw it up. Right will only go on the right one.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2020, 06:46:52 AM »
Mine were cut by the same Polish co

They cost me about $170

Ill try the compound and see if it takes the scratches out of the vr lenses thx

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2020, 11:12:11 PM »

For the unenlightened:  How do you get prescription lenses for a Rift S?  How do you insert them?

How much do they cost?

- Oldman the Dim
For the RiftS and MY prescription...ws $64 bucks I believe? Widmovr easy to install..just snap right in :D