Author Topic: Dillinger's Wake Feedback  (Read 2483 times)

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
Dillinger's Wake Feedback
« on: May 19, 2017, 11:14:13 PM »
1-There should be an attack requirement for both sides.
2-If there is an altitude limit, it should be imposed an all aircraft or not at all.
3-The action was spread too far apart on the map for follow on attack and fighting.
4-There were too many bombers required for the amount of targets available.
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline cav58d

• Gold Member
Re: Dillinger's Wake Feedback
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 11:32:25 PM »
2-If there is an altitude limit, it should be imposed an all aircraft or not at all.
3-The action was spread too far apart on the map for follow on attack and fighting.

I don't disagree with the others, but i'm putting my vote with # 3.
<S> Lyme

Sick Puppies II

412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline KCDitto

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 12:02:01 AM »
I don't disagree with the others, but i'm putting my vote with # 3.

YEA

But that is the PTO in general, with a few exceptions
Ditto  "WHITE 11"
"Masters of the Air" Scenario -JG54

Offline EagleDNY

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 07:46:17 AM »
Agree with most of this.  The distances between targets made this more like 2 half FSOs than a single event. 

Offline branch37

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 Jolly Rogers
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 10:47:51 AM »
would have liked to see some G4Ms in here.  My only other complaint was the action being too spread out.

CMDR Branch37
VF-17 Jolly Rogers  C.O.

Offline Frodo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2017, 03:12:03 PM »
Agree with the points above.

But would like to see some variety in the plane set for Pac set ups. We very rarely use the KI84 or Nik in these. For example these 2 planes vs F4U and P38 are a great even match up. Feel like we are always doing A6Ms and have done these to death in FSO.

Even a Japanese vs Russian could be fun with the planes we have available.

My 2 cents.

JG11 

TEAMWORK IS ESSENTIAL....IT GIVES THE ENEMY SOMEONE ELSE TO SHOOT AT.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2017, 04:07:56 PM »

But would like to see some variety in the plane set for Pac set ups. We very rarely use the KI84 or Nik in these. For example these 2 planes vs F4U and P38 are a great even match up. Feel like we are always doing A6Ms and have done these to death in FSO.

My 2 cents.
I concur. Perfect historical matchups are not required. Good balance is.

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2017, 04:23:58 PM »

1. Yes the original design was better balanced by having both sides attack. Also, the plane selection also played a factor then too.
2. Not unless we have clouds over target and go back to manual bombsite calibration as incentive to have bombers at a lower alt.
3. Agree.
4. Just too few objectives for a single side attack. Also B-25's should have had mandatory formations and the B-24's should have been singles only or simply not used.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2017, 04:33:06 PM »
1. Yes the original design was better balanced by having both sides attack. Also, the plane selection also played a factor then too.
2. Not unless we have clouds over target and go back to manual bombsite calibration as incentive to have bombers at a lower alt.
3. Agree.
4. Just too few objectives for a single side attack. Also B-25's should have had mandatory formations and the B-24's should have been singles only or simply not used.
Flew the recent scenario with all planes capped at 20k. Worked fine for all. The manual calibration is a device designed to insure you will never hit your target. Not joking on that last part. Not keen on any limitations how to attack just let me know what needs to be hit and I'll set up my bombers or JABOS as I see fit.

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2017, 04:39:47 PM »
Flew the recent scenario with all planes capped at 20k. Worked fine for all. The manual calibration is a device designed to insure you will never hit your target. Not joking on that last part. Not keen on any limitations how to attack just let me know what needs to be hit and I'll set up my bombers or JABOS as I see fit.

The bombers were capped @ 16K in that one.

I agree in principle with not using manual calibration, but that comes with keeping the buffs at a realistic altitude for the period/theater of the design. Alt caps for buffs work better than other methods.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2017, 05:26:08 PM »
Regarding manual calibration...
It's not difficult. It's easy to hit targets. It just takes practice, which it seems most players don't want to do.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2017, 06:05:27 PM »
The bombers were capped @ 16K in that one.

I agree in principle with not using manual calibration, but that comes with keeping the buffs at a realistic altitude for the period/theater of the design. Alt caps for buffs work better than other methods.
Having both sides with attack and defense roles really helps with this issue as the fights are spread a bit more over different roles and then you do not have one side or the other with 40 planes at 30k in one sector circling for bombers that they know will never be more than 20k.   A 4k gap between actual ceiling and the bomber ceiling makes good sense.  Maybe a 20k bomber cap and a 24k fighter cap?  Food for thought for CM's for future alt caps.

Offline Dantoo

• Silver Member
      • http://www.9giap.com
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2017, 05:05:18 AM »
Please let me know early if any fso intends to reintroduce manual bomb sight.  I will withdraw the squad for that series immediately.

And...btw I just don't get where the idea came from that the Japanese bombed from low or medium levels.  They often (possibly most often) bombed from 30k when conditions allowed.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 05:07:26 AM by Dantoo »
I get really really tired of selective realism disguised as a desire to make bombers easier to kill.

HiTech

Matthew 24:28 For wherever the carcass is, there is where the vultures gather together.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2017, 08:14:56 AM »
Please let me know early if any fso intends to reintroduce manual bomb sight.  I will withdraw the squad for that series immediately.

And...btw I just don't get where the idea came from that the Japanese bombed from low or medium levels.  They often (possibly most often) bombed from 30k when conditions allowed.
What I was getting around to Dantoo is that when either side is the only one that has to fly bombers then they should be unfettered in how they get this job done.  Since we already know what the bombers have to hit and roughly when the bombers have to hit it by, adding an altitude cap is like putting gift wrap on the bombers considering the caliber of players we have in this community.   

Offline branch37

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 Jolly Rogers
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2017, 10:24:35 AM »

My 2 cents.

Ki-61 is more than an even match for F4U-1 and the -1A and the P-38G, granted when there are enough of them and they are flown correctly.  It seems like in the setups with KI-84s and N1Ks the allies are in F6Fs and get munched.  Granted the F6F is a match for the above mentioned planes if you know what you're doing.

CMDR Branch37
VF-17 Jolly Rogers  C.O.