Author Topic: I have been considering steam since the beging of april.  (Read 53667 times)

Offline horble

• Silver Member
Re: I have been considering steam since the beging of april.
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2017, 05:30:43 PM »
titt for tat

so we won't be playing AH3 anymore.. it will be Stream's AH3?
we will have to log into stream--will have to pay stream and AH3?

No.

Steam users will just be able to use steam to pay for and play AH3 in the same arena as everyone else.
Kommando Nowotny

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2017, 05:46:42 PM »
Voted !

I think this could be the injection of new players we want.
If this happens AH need to keep trainers online to help newbies, like we did in WB, where there was a "get help from a trainer" button, with setup and ACM.

My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline blutic

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2017, 05:52:23 PM »
To the steam user, they would simply have a different login and payment method. But they would be playing in the same world as non steam users.
The game would still be available able just as it is now.

End user price would have to be the same across all venues.

I vote yes if I could, Steam wont let me.
This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.—Dwight Eisenhower, April 16, 1953

Offline Rodent57

• AH Training Corps
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2017, 05:55:18 PM »
Voted !

I think this could be the injection of new players we want.
If this happens AH need to keep trainers online to help newbies, like we did in WB, where there was a "get help from a trainer" button, with setup and ACM.

Save,
(NOT HIJACKING ...just responding one time since I've seen this suggestion before)
Trainers are already here.   Methods for contacting are established.  Perhaps we should reevaluate contact options however, what we really need is qualified and dedicated Trainers from parts of the world other than the US/Canadian Time Zones.  Know any volunteers?  Please have them PM me.
- Rodent57
Lead Trainer

We now return you to our regular thread topic ...
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
-AE

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2017, 06:08:37 PM »
Poor skuzzy will have additional workload monitoring the forum on Steam if AH goes that route.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2017, 06:16:25 PM »
^^ LOL AkAk.

To the steam user, they would simply have a different login and payment method. But they would be playing in the same world as non steam users.

HiTech

That was my only question, asked and answered.

Voted.

I don't know how much, if any, of a risk this is for HTC, I really hope it works out, if only a fraction of the sim players on Steam try the game out and then only a fraction of those stay, it could mean full arenas pretty quickly IMO.

If this does happen, the current players need to do our best to welcome and help new players that show up from Steam.  Many players have been asking HTC to make "moves", and this is a big one, in order to increase the player numbers, so we should do our best to support it if it goes down.

Favorite, follow, and share this on Steam, the more attention it gets, the better.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 06:19:16 PM by Gman »

Offline Rodent57

• AH Training Corps
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2017, 06:23:43 PM »
Concur
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
-AE

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2017, 06:39:22 PM »
If this does happen, the current players need to do our best to welcome and help new players that show up from Steam. 

THIS

Just a little help can make all of the difference between someone staying and trying OR giving it up in frustration.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 07:39:35 PM by Kanth »
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2017, 06:53:36 PM »
I have not defiantly decided to publish on steam but the first step is to get it approved. Then all will depend if a deal can be made.

So please go to the green light and vote.

Please Vote on this green light page

HiTech

When you have a deal and that part you can share with us as to how it effects us is made clear, you may have to make decisions we won't like for the future of the game regardless of Ack-Ack's assurances. Then I will be happy to vote, at which point you will know if this is a good venture for you and the game by the deal you will have in hand. And I won't need to vote. This vote is a bit of a Catch-22 at this point. Until then we won't know about things like terrain creation and other content if steam will force you to restrict it to a single controlled source employed by HTC for quality control, limit your arena offerings, or place restrictions on special events to protect their image of quality control. You will be the only person who will know these once you have a framework to sign a deal upon.

After all of these years you already know you have players who want this game on steam and have lobbied rabidly in POSTS when they come up for you to move to steam. Throwing out a vote here in the forums is singing to a small choir of people who expend more effort in the gaming world than many in the MA. I will venture you will get more go for it votes than don't go for it votes out of these forums. Will you throw out a vote in the MA, and how much will that scare some of your older players who may be a larger group than these forums denizens? Will they understand you moving to steam when they have just been thrown into turmoil with AH3?

It's not an issue of moving to steam if that will get more players signed up, it's an issue of how you do it.

And how much steam will be able to impact the larger core group of customers who don't come to these forums perception of what they pay for to be entertained by. I'm more interested in seeing how this is sold to them to see how they will take it. Moving to steam is not a bad thing if you Hitech is handling it, I just don't want that transition to end up as a cricket farm during prime time. Right now this game is not populated in the MA by a bunch of 11-30 years olds who love and demand change for the chaos of it all. Granted if handled right, it may well move into that direction at steam of repopulating Aces High. The game won't crank them up and pull them into it's addiction if you don't have all those vets in the arena now doing the Aces High thing that hooks people like it did them. Back when all of those older vets a decade ago were doing the Aces High magic thing that hooked the current vet generation.

Keep your vets and this has a good chance of working, scare them in all the ways they always can be scared, and unfounded rumors on 200 and greifers on range seeing a chance to get rid of the old rednecks with the transition is all it will take. There will be no core group of vets to keep the Aces High magic alive. Because this game and that magic is a generational thing no matter how much the gamers want all the old vets to eat it and die or go away and stop turning the place into an old redneck guys home.

Listened to alot of that during the closed alpha by younger players who signed up just so they could get a peak at what was going on. In their opinion AH had to many redneck sounding geezers. What a Catch-22 for that Aces High Magic that makes it unique and how it gets generated.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2017, 07:03:15 PM »

It's not an issue of moving to steam if that will get more players signed up, it's an issue of how you do it.

And how much steam will be able to impact the larger core group of customers who don't come to these forums perception of what they pay for to be entertained by. I'm more interested in seeing how this is sold to them to see how they will take it. Moving to steam is not a bad thing if you Hitech is handling it, I just don't want that transition to end up as a cricket farm during prime time. Right now this game is not populated in the MA by a bunch of 11-30 years olds who love and demand change for the chaos of it all. Granted if handled right, it may well move into that direction at steam of repopulating Aces High. The game won't crank them up and pull them into it's addiction if you don't have all those vets in the arena now doing the Aces High thing that hooks people like it did them. Back when all of those older vets a decade ago were doing the Aces High magic thing that hooked the current vet generation.

Keep your vets and this has a good chance of working, scare them in all the ways they always can be scared, and unfounded rumors on 200 and greifers on range seeing a chance to get rid of the old rednecks with the transition is all it will take. There will be no core group of vets to keep the Aces High magic alive. Because this game and that magic is a generational thing no matter how much the gamers want all the old vets to eat it and die or go away and stop turning the place into an old redneck guys home.

Bustr, relax man, read the posts:

HiTech

Wag more, bark less.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2017, 07:05:45 PM »
When you have a deal and that part you can share with us as to how it effects us is made clear, you may have to make decisions we won't like for the future of the game regardless of Ack-Ack's assurances. Then I will be happy to vote, at which point you will know if this is a good venture for you and the game by the deal you will have in hand. And I won't need to vote. This vote is a bit of a Catch-22 at this point. Until then we won't know about things like terrain creation and other content if steam will force you to restrict it to a single controlled source employed by HTC for quality control, limit your arena offerings, or place restrictions on special events to protect their image of quality control. You will be the only person who will know these once you have a framework to sign a deal upon.

Valve will not force HTC to limit arena offerings or place restrictions on special events, or any content such as player created skins, sounds or tools like the terrain editor.  They haven't done so with the games the studio I work for has on Steam.  When we put our games on Steam, we just had to make sure that the Steam version of the game was able to "talk" to the Steam client so it can use stuff like Steam achievements, Steam community overlay, etc., and never tried to impose any restrictions to the core game development.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 07:09:10 PM by Ack-Ack »
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2017, 07:21:58 PM »
Valve will not force HTC to limit arena offerings or place restrictions on special events, or any content such as player created skins, sounds or tools like the terrain editor.

Ok, that's a good thing and a good question answered.

If I don't have to subscribe to Steam and put their software on my machine, if I can just keep paying and playing the way I always have.....I'm for it.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2017, 07:34:24 PM »
Voted

Offline Blade

• Nickel Member
      • Battoutai
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2017, 08:04:57 PM »
nice idea
voted
---------------------------
Who Dares Wins
---------------------------
抜刀隊Blog http://battoutai.blogspot.com
Aces High Wiki Plus! http://www43.atwiki.jp/aceshigh/

Offline puller

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2017, 08:18:57 PM »
Don't have an account to vote but if HTC thinks it will draw more targets for us, we can't be against it  :aok
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde