Author Topic: I have been considering steam since the beging of april.  (Read 53655 times)

Offline streakeagle

• Silver Member
      • Streak Eagle - Stephen's Website
Re: I have been considering steam since the beging of april.
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2017, 08:23:33 PM »
I generally don't mind buying Steam games, but when I can get them directly from the developer without the hassles of Steam, I almost always do. I know the developer benefits financially while at the same time I don't have to start Steam and deal with its constant updates and advertisements every time I want to fly.

Unfortunately, many people almost exclusively buy and play games through Steam or its various competitors. Steam is getting paid for access to their very large user base and its captive advertising channel. But are there a significant (profitable) number of Steam users that will play Aces High for any length of time? It is a gamble.
i5(4690K) MAXIMUS VII HERO(32 Gb RAM) GTX1080(8 Gb RAM) Win10 Home (64-bit)
OUR MISSION: PROTECT THE FORCE, GET THE PICTURES, ...AND KILL MIGS!

Offline Goat1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2017, 08:32:52 PM »
I'm not that internet savvy, what is steam and why would that help AH3?

Thanks;
Goat
"Go in close, and when you think you are too close, go in closer." — Major Thomas B. 'Tommy' McGuire, USAAF

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2017, 09:01:00 PM »
I'm not that internet savvy, what is steam and why would that help AH3?

Thanks;
Goat

Steam is a gamers site. You log in for free and using their "software" you can buy/play lots of games. They have 1000s of people using the service.

If HTC can get their game added to the list of games available it is possible 1000s of people will be able to see it and may try it.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2017, 09:58:03 PM »
the current players need to do our best to welcome and help new players that show up from Steam.

Just reloading my Ho-5s now...

Has anyone told Nugetx yet? He will be excited!

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed freaks" - Zack1234

Offline Goat1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2017, 10:40:38 PM »
Thanks for the info Fugi

Goat
"Go in close, and when you think you are too close, go in closer." — Major Thomas B. 'Tommy' McGuire, USAAF

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2017, 10:44:35 PM »
Save,
(NOT HIJACKING ...just responding one time since I've seen this suggestion before)
Trainers are already here.   Methods for contacting are established.  Perhaps we should reevaluate contact options however, what we really need is qualified and dedicated Trainers from parts of the world other than the US/Canadian Time Zones.  Know any volunteers?  Please have them PM me.
- Rodent57
Lead Trainer

We now return you to our regular thread topic ...

I whole heartily agree that we need trainers from time zones other than U.S./ Canada. I would also like some way to let people know that there is a trainer available in the TA. There are times when I have a spare hour or so when I wouldn't normally be available.

:salute
Sik
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline APDrone

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2017, 11:11:12 PM »
Voted. 
AKDrone

Scenario "Masters of the Air" X.O. 100th Bombardment Group

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2017, 11:34:39 PM »
Voted, and wish HTC and AH the best.  Its a big step, I think.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2017, 12:28:20 AM »
I would also like some way to let people know that there is a trainer available in the TA. There are times when I have a spare hour or so when I wouldn't normally be available.

:salute
Sik

Sik, the Training corps could use the CM cross arena message bwana/privs, to announce whenever any one of you log on to the TA.... just need to make sure all Trainers use it when they are the first in.... no need for a message if the first Trainer has sent one when he logged in

Just a suggestion

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2017, 01:03:56 AM »
1000s of people is a  understatement for Steam users...CSGO generally has 100,000 players online at a time and probably closer to a million different players a month and that is just one of the bigger games on Steam...

When people look for MMOs, FPS, Air Combat simulators for any kind on steam they have a chance of seeing Aces High 3 on steam....

I may be wrong but it actually might help HTC more if you set up your accounts via steam because that helps its placement at the top of the list for advertisement spot.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2017, 02:13:56 AM »

I may be wrong but it actually might help HTC more if you set up your accounts via steam because that helps its placement at the top of the list for advertisement spot.

If someone did that, they'd lose all progress (perks, achievements, etc) since you would have to create a new account for the Steam version. 
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline stabbyy

• Copper Member
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2017, 02:16:34 AM »
i up voted...i think this might actually be a great thing for the game.. even if only a small % stays we will have people trying the game.. on a daily basis which would help a lot assuming it gets approved..reading over the comments.. to clarify a few things

Steam(not stream) is much more then "1000" players.. the community as a whole is right around 13 million people it is a program you simply download and it gives you access to browse all the games on steam very simple and user friendly with features built in like "steam overlay" to talk to people outside of a game while in the game.. and other various little things..as for the "weighs your machine down with needless programs" well.. not really it just installs steam but none the less current players don't need to worry about it.. if your not going to play through steam..and some random numbers.... you figure if only 2% stay that is.. 260k players so going for low end 0.25% is 32k so even if only 0.05% stay that is 6500 players and just because.. why not 0.025% is 3250 and.. 0.0125% is going to be.. 1625 much more then we currently have now of course that is using the whole player base as a number.. realistically it is split against different game types but.. it just shows you how much more people we could potentially reach(you might actually have to spam click to get into an arena again) nothing will change.. short of new players coming in steam does not limit content or anything in game.. but this is the best post I've seen in.. a long time

the best post i seen comments wise is the fact.. we need to welcome new players if this works...that being said upping the "free trial" to 30 days... would help people with this as well as most people can barely land after 2 weeks

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2017, 03:13:52 AM »
excellent :aok we need to do some lobbying, can someone post a thread on reddit? https://www.reddit.com/r/steamgreenlight/
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 03:20:28 AM by SirNuke »

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2017, 03:23:48 AM »
I generally don't mind buying Steam games, but when I can get them directly from the developer without the hassles of Steam, I almost always do. I know the developer benefits financially while at the same time I don't have to start Steam and deal with its constant updates and advertisements every time I want to fly.

Unfortunately, many people almost exclusively buy and play games through Steam or its various competitors. Steam is getting paid for access to their very large user base and its captive advertising channel. But are there a significant (profitable) number of Steam users that will play Aces High for any length of time? It is a gamble.

the way i see it the game currently has the lowest population in recent years these guys will continue to play until they croak or hell freezes over.

the steam guys can play and DIE alot.  whether they get addicted and hang around is another matter either way its a win win.  hopefully HTC gets enough new blood to cover all the costs of integrating the platform and then its all good.   if they all leave then we will still remain.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline nugetx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2017, 06:17:34 AM »
It's the first time i ever voted for something to be on steam, All of my yes