Author Topic: I have been considering steam since the beging of april.  (Read 53653 times)

Offline cav58d

• Gold Member
Re: I have been considering steam since the beging of april.
« Reply #180 on: May 25, 2017, 10:18:30 AM »
Excited about potential injection of players, disappointed in actual presentation of this game on the page for a person that's never played... I don't think that first video shows off what's great about the game...

It reminds me of the soldiers from "Toy Story".  I would pass if all I had was that video to make my decision.
<S> Lyme

Sick Puppies II

412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Online DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #181 on: May 25, 2017, 11:34:41 AM »
Might I suggest,

I think Steam would work out fine to at least bring more attention to the game. At this point, any type of mass marketing would work, especially going into the summer.

I do agree that all the cockpits need to be finished before you do that. Make sure little bugs and kinks are worked out, maybe even make the water more distinguishable.

I believe there needs to be more of an emphasis to promote special events. An arena message every week updated with special events would bring a lot more players to these events.

remember, this game isn't soooo much great because of the graphics, but because of the flight model, open air combat, and special events. Those need to be highly emphasized when marketing on steam.

The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline AAIK

• Nickel Member
« Reply #182 on: May 25, 2017, 12:12:46 PM »
Might I suggest,

I think Steam would work out fine to at least bring more attention to the game. At this point, any type of mass marketing would work, especially going into the summer.

I do agree that all the cockpits need to be finished before you do that. Make sure little bugs and kinks are worked out, maybe even make the water more distinguishable.

I believe there needs to be more of an emphasis to promote special events. An arena message every week updated with special events would bring a lot more players to these events.

remember, this game isn't soooo much great because of the graphics, but because of the flight model, open air combat, and special events. Those need to be highly emphasized when marketing on steam.

If they ran special events inside the MA, that would add a lot as well.

Offline cav58d

• Gold Member
« Reply #183 on: May 25, 2017, 12:19:58 PM »
If they ran special events inside the MA, that would add a lot as well.

We have an extremely well organized special events CM team + arena.  Not necessary in the MA.

Best way to get more people involved in special events is a weekly arena message and schedule.
<S> Lyme

Sick Puppies II

412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #184 on: May 25, 2017, 12:21:08 PM »
Voted and posted a favorable comment.

Good luck, HiTech.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Online Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #185 on: May 25, 2017, 12:34:06 PM »
Last night there were 2 instant action rooms opened by users and they each had 12 players in them.

I went into TOAD's setup and had a lot of fun.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline VanceVP

• Zinc Member
« Reply #186 on: May 25, 2017, 12:35:52 PM »
First off, like many others that have commented here, I know nothing about steam, but being a huge fan of Aces High, I am going to throw my 2 cents in.

My involvement goes back to the days of AW and once that got shut down I found AH and absolutely loved the game. I would spend hour after hour online playing the game. I should state that I am a hardcore gv'er and that is the aspect of the game that I enjoy most.

Back in the day of AH2, as already mentioned, there were many times that I had to wait my turn to get into the game. That means that there were 600 players on and the pattern was full. When HT decided to go with AH3 and the new design, I feel that he shot himself in the foot and the crew did not think things through enough. The decision to release AH3 has cost HT a good portion of their revenue stream. With the intensified graphics, I feel that HT showed little or no loyalty to us long-time members as that drove many, many members away who could not justify the cost of a new gaming rig just to play the game. I feel the overall design of the maps in AH3 favors the pilots and shows little regard for gv'ers. There are a boat load of other problems that I see with AH3 that could have been avoided, along with the drastic drop in paying members and reduction of its revenue stream.

Personally, I am completely disappointed in AH3. Having to drive for 10 minutes to go from a spawn point to a town, base or field is to much. Not being able to find a decent fight due to the fact that there are typically only 30 - 40 players per country makes for a boring night of gaming. With AH3, I find the game to be boring and frustrating for the most part.

Trying to increase the number of paid members would be smart move. Going the route of steam may or may not be the right way to do it. I would love to see the game get back to having 500-600 players at most any time, but I feel that with the maps and the graphics (might not be the right word), potential players may not find the game as enjoyable as things were with AH2. I feel that AH may be breathing its last few breaths. Releasing AH3, in my opinion, signed the game's death certificate.

In my opinion, AH may not be able to sustain the loss in revenue for much longer and we are going to lose our beloved game. I hope that I am wrong on this. I hope that HT will wake up and realize the mistakes made with AH3 and will correct them so that potential new players will WANT to play the game and become regulars. I hope that AH will be around until I am one of the old-timers that croaks playing this game.

Again, these are just my opinions and will have absolutely no bearing on what gets decided with this game. I can only hope that whatever decisions are made, I hope they are what will benefit the game and it loyal members.

Over and out . . .

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
« Reply #187 on: May 25, 2017, 12:49:42 PM »
It was Gamestorm
I started when it was on Gamestorm.  :) 
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #188 on: May 25, 2017, 01:03:12 PM »
I believe this game has delivered. Ive been thru what? Two major updates and in the world of computer gaming, especially MMOGs, especially niche MMOGs, thats saying a lot. Even online games with massive budgets have put out some real turds as far as new, or re-written/updated, games go. In contrast AH has been smooth as silk.

Its almost like were to expect a turd so the game maker can cash in on the market while still developing the game to even pre-release status. Even huge companies like AE have crapped out some real turds and dont even get me started on the Russian and his IL2 series when he still had it. It tooks years of player Devs themselves doing the work for IL2 BOB to become a decent game. It was released as a giant turd if you remember.

I think the gaming world itself has changed. The serious flight gamer was always a bit older and more PC orientated. And many of us aint spring chickens anymore. I have nothing but time on my hands now and feel myself becoming like my old friend ET in that I can only play an hour or two at a time now.

But I love MMOG war games. I'm even going to go back to WW2OL cause they are running a special at $9.99 a month to get the old crowd back keeping their old rank. While nowhere near as good or as inclusive as AH WW2OL had a very good crowd that used to fly there. A lot of AH screen names hung out there too and now that they are running specials and are about to be greenlit I figure why not?

These two game have meant the most to me in my life then any others. I see both getting green lit as nothing but good because all either game needs are the players and its "on".
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #189 on: May 25, 2017, 01:05:17 PM »
Back in the day of AH2, as already mentioned, there were many times that I had to wait my turn to get into the game. That means that there were 600 players on and the pattern was full. When HT decided to go with AH3 and the new design, I feel that he shot himself in the foot and the crew did not think things through enough. The decision to release AH3 has cost HT a good portion of their revenue stream. (...)as that drove many, many members away who could not justify the cost of a new gaming rig just to play the game

If I knew nothing of AH, this would read as if there was a busy, well populated AH2, a switch to AH 3 and all of a sudden most of the players are gone.

This is far from reality. The 600+ days were gone for years already before AH3 even went into alpha. There never was any sudden decline, specifically not after going to AH3.
That the numbers now are as they are (and making the gameplay options extremely limited for many of us) ain't a direct result of AH3.

Steam: DrKalv
Elite:Dangerous: Snailman

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #190 on: May 25, 2017, 01:11:16 PM »
There was no choice but to upgrade the graphics. If anything they waited to long and players left for more immersive games with fancy damage engine. Even this last update allows pretty old computers to still play as long as you dial down. You cant expect a flight game maker to keep a 8yo notebook current.

These have been reasonable updates and as Lusche says have not in themselves driven anyone away. Maybe a very few with rigs so old the player cant expect them to operate forever. I thought lll was a very well thought out update.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 01:15:02 PM by Rich46yo »
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Online Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #191 on: May 25, 2017, 01:19:32 PM »
There was no choice but to upgrade the graphics. If anything they waited to long and players left for more immersive games with fancy damage engine. Even this last update allows pretty old computers to still play as long as you dial down. You cant expect a flight game maker to keep a 8yo notebook current.

These have been reasonable updates and as Lusche says have not in themselves driven anyone away. Maybe a very few with rigs so old the player cant expect them to operate forever. I thought lll was a very well thought out update.

Yeah, AH has been very easy on upgrades.   Other games cost me a new vid card every couple of years.   It's a balancing act and I would say HTC has been pretty good at it--albeit perhaps a TAD too conservative at worst.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
325th VFG - "The Checkertails"
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline shppr01

• AvA Staff Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #192 on: May 25, 2017, 01:23:19 PM »
This may have been brought up before and please excuse me if it has. Would putting the game through steam allow players with older pcs to run the game? There was a lot of worries when AH III came out. I'm just wondering since I pretty much know diddly about graphics.
Ingame : Shipper

Never put your gun down to hug a grizzly.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #193 on: May 25, 2017, 01:25:30 PM »
This may have been brought up before and please excuse me if it has. Would putting the game through steam allow players with older pcs to run the game? There was a lot of worries when AH III came out. I'm just wondering since I pretty much know diddly about graphics.

The ONLY thing that steam would change is how steam users log in, and payments would be threw steam.
People would still be able to download from HTC,  and billed just like they are now.

HiTech

« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 01:28:05 PM by hitech »

Offline DynaE

• Zinc Member
« Reply #194 on: May 25, 2017, 01:27:56 PM »
Hello to everyone,

Wanting to express a point of view, that the community would see in a positive way,for everyone that is invested here (myself included)about the future of this great idea called Aces High.

First, HiTech Sir,Please rethink that horrible video on the steam greenlight page as  representative of the current state of play.I mean only this...When you want to make a great first impression, one would want to put their best foot forward.The seriousness of the perception of which you are showing,is not what is actually the latest view of the game.Displaying a current view of Aces imho surely would go a long way of providing that idea.

Second,Here I might on this subject,be blowing hot air,but at one time i believe there was discussion about Aces growing into a empire(for the lack of a better word).The answer was that HiTech did not want to get too big,end of discussion.Now down the dusty ol' road ,a new crossroad. Whatever Dale decides,I will support that decision,he has been doing this along time,doing a great job (with a lot of help).

Third,and I admit,being in the Harvest years of my life,and enjoying it with my beautiful bestfriend,my wife,I tend to resist change.Big and small changes happen in this lifetime,no stopping that fact.Since I started Aces many moons ago,I have enjoyed the whole spectrum full circle,and hope the future is bright.

Dyna