Author Topic: I have been considering steam since the beging of april.  (Read 52725 times)

Offline puller

• Gold Member
Re: I have been considering steam since the beging of april.
« Reply #270 on: May 26, 2017, 05:48:13 PM »
Count me in for a month of sea hurricanes and C202's

:rofl
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
« Reply #271 on: May 26, 2017, 06:32:07 PM »
I've been around for a long time.  Like many of you I was introduced to this through the flight simulator sewing circle.  I never heard of it before that.  We face a generational gap problem right now.  The crusty old fks that I knew (earl, dukemskt, etc) are now all dead (literally).  The way I see it is we are now that generation.

If we want AH to remain viable - we need new blood.  It's a simple as that.  Think of this place like the airport old guys go to because they lost their wives and then will go crazy if they stay in the house.  And quite frankly it does good for returning combat vets.

So it's really simple, we either increase the promotion level through other means like this or it dies.

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #272 on: May 26, 2017, 06:35:34 PM »
Let players play with EW rides for free after their two week trial expires.   Then we will see more EW rides and eventually they'll upgrade.

”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
325th VFG - "The Checkertails"
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline salt101

• Zinc Member
« Reply #273 on: May 27, 2017, 12:00:43 AM »
This is totally illusory. The conditions aren't even remotely comparable between those two games.
Elite had a way older legacy than AH. Old gamers had been waiting for a resurrection for many years. It had big media coverage. A big publicity campaign. A kickstarter campaign which brought 1.5 Million £. A high profile CEO. And so on.

For comparison, AH's twitter announcement about Steam Greenlight has by now been retweeted 4(!) times...
Just putting AH on steam doesn't suddenly give you "30000+ new sign ups"

But IF it really did, I will eat my words and volunteer for extended TA service in the EURO time window (though unofficially, this time).  :old:

That is possible but Elite has over a million registered users, I just mean 5k min are usually active even during the slow times. Steam promotes accepted games as well so I think 30000 players in a short amount of time would be quite possible. It just might make it similar to AOL in the 90s.
Salt,
The three most dangerous vehicles in AH are the C47, M3 and LVT

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #274 on: May 27, 2017, 12:10:23 AM »
What did steam do for warbirds? Did the population explode? Because ah and wb are for all practical purposes the same game.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline nugetx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #275 on: May 27, 2017, 01:21:41 AM »
What did steam do for warbirds? Did the population explode? Because ah and wb are for all practical purposes the same game.

WB is dead since like 2000

Offline nugetx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #276 on: May 27, 2017, 01:23:22 AM »
Steam promotes accepted games as well so I think 30000 players in a short amount of time would be quite possible. It just might make it similar to AOL in the 90s.

Yes i think the biggest promotion would be if Steam made Aces High front page news on the store when they green lit it...... this means 135 million players would instantly see Aces High

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #277 on: May 27, 2017, 01:56:14 AM »
Yes i think the biggest promotion would be if Steam made Aces High front page news on the store when they green lit it...... this means 135 million players would instantly see Aces High

Two weeks free, EW rides free after that.

Bring on the baby seals!
”KILLER V”

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #278 on: May 27, 2017, 02:57:46 AM »
WB is dead since like 2000
Is that his "new player perspective"? ;)

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #279 on: May 27, 2017, 03:15:13 AM »
Is that his "new player perspective"? ;)

It's accurate regardless.

”KILLER V”

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
« Reply #280 on: May 27, 2017, 03:24:08 AM »
Two weeks free, EW rides free after that.

Bring on the baby seals!

Not early war planes, the most fun part of the game. Instead, allow things that need to be done for the war effort, but are not much fun. This leaves more time for fun things for paying players, without causing a bad concience of not helping the war effort - it wouldn't be needed when there's masses of non-paying players doing the boring  jobs. C47, M3, Fiesler, manned guns (aircraft and fields).

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #281 on: May 27, 2017, 03:35:55 AM »
Not early war planes, the most fun part of the game. Instead, allow things that need to be done for the war effort, but are not much fun. This leaves more time for fun things for paying players, without causing a bad concience of not helping the war effort - it wouldn't be needed when there's masses of non-paying players doing the boring  jobs. C47, M3, Fiesler, manned guns (aircraft and fields).

If it is not much fun then why pay for it?

Not a good idea, my friend.

”KILLER V”

Offline nugetx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #282 on: May 27, 2017, 05:18:35 AM »
Any news what are the current numbers on greenlight ?

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #283 on: May 27, 2017, 05:26:32 AM »
Any news what are the current numbers on greenlight ?

HTC, make Nugetx the CEO of publicity, marketing and new player generation, stat. He's got a lot of energy!   :banana:

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened" - Dr. Seuss

Offline gflyer

• Copper Member
« Reply #284 on: May 27, 2017, 08:40:05 AM »
Free rides, steam .. all done by WBs.  When WBs went to steam there was no great  influx, as I recall people did join and soon left after they saw the game play and graphics.  The free ride thing doesn't make people want to stick around or upgrade.  Haven't heard an original thought on here that WBs hasn't already tried. 

My guess is the subscription based pricing scares people off - easy to ask mom to buy a new game on the credit card at one time cost than it is to tell her you are getting charged 15 bucks a month.  WBs also didn't do a good job of promotion.  Small teams don't have much in way of marketing savvy.  Last, the learning curve is very steep, if you came into a game to try it out, saw iffy eye candy, poor gameplay, 10 minutes between action, you sure wouldn't stick around for countless hours to master it.  Just move on to the next cool game to try out.

Still hoping for a great outcome just hope lessons are learned and not repeated.