Author Topic: I have been considering steam since the beging of april.  (Read 52758 times)

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
Re: I have been considering steam since the beging of april.
« Reply #330 on: May 30, 2017, 12:58:25 PM »
One of the things that Aces High lacks is the near absence of treadmill like activities. I personally don't care for them, but having in game things to work towards tends to keep the masses busy and happy provided it is not too tedious. The achievements help this limitation, but more is needed to maintain the younger generation that has too much time on their hands.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #331 on: May 30, 2017, 01:04:45 PM »
I am trying to reach 25,000 perks. I'll finally be able to fly a Mirage IIIc!
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #332 on: May 30, 2017, 01:13:18 PM »
One of the things that Aces High lacks is the near absence of treadmill like activities.

Why do people insist on making a game everything to everyone?

The beauty of this game is we all get access to the same equipment in game to work with.

We have enough skinner boxes online already, we don't need to turn this into one.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #333 on: May 30, 2017, 02:10:11 PM »
If I knew nothing of AH, this would read as if there was a busy, well populated AH2, a switch to AH 3 and all of a sudden most of the players are gone.

This is far from reality. The 600+ days were gone for years already before AH3 even went into alpha. There never was any sudden decline, specifically not after going to AH3.
That the numbers now are as they are (and making the gameplay options extremely limited for many of us) ain't a direct result of AH3.

My thoughts exactly. AH III hardly takes a gaming computer. This game is easy on the computer. It might run rough on a 10 year old machine that has not been upgraded any. If you run an ancient machine it is time to update some. If it was cutting edge 10 years a go then it will not run as well as a 300 dollar machine today.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #334 on: May 30, 2017, 02:20:34 PM »
It might run rough on a 10 year old machine that has not been upgraded any.

I have an old I3-2120 (LGA 1155), which was a low-middle class CPU even 8 years ago. My GPU is a more recent but budget one, a GTX 950.
Removing some eye candy I had no trouble holding 60fps in most situations.
Steam: DrKalv
Elite:Dangerous: Snailman

Offline LocoMoto

• Copper Member
« Reply #335 on: May 30, 2017, 08:56:24 PM »
Steam is a tricky and dangerous thing to consider if your not ready for the huge influx of potential players that comes with it. I can promise it will be the death of Hitechcreations as we have all known it. Whether that is a good thing or not will entirely be up to HiTech. It will force Dale to expand tremendously if it takes off the way it should. The shear man power alone to control that kind of chaos will break the small company setup that exists today. Thing is this product deserves the opportunity. So does its owner and employees  :salute

Only HiTech knows whether its make or break time for Aces High. I trust he will make the right decision and will have his back regardless of whatever he decides. You know why?

Because this is the best damn combat flight sim in the world. No matter how frustrated I have got over the years its his game, its still going, and im just a paying customer along for the ride.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 08:58:41 PM by LocoMoto »

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #336 on: May 30, 2017, 09:01:37 PM »
Steam is a tricky and dangerous thing to consider if your not ready for the huge influx of potential players that comes with it. I can promise it will be the death of Hitechcreations as we have all known it. Whether that is a good thing or not will entirely be up to HiTech. It will force Dale to expand tremendously if it takes off the way it should. The shear man power alone to control that kind of chaos will break the small company setup that exists today. Thing is this product deserves the opportunity. So does its owner and employees  :salute

Only HiTech knows whether its make or break time for Aces High. I trust he will make the right decision and will have his back regardless of whatever he decides. You know why?

Because this is the best damn combat flight sim in the world. No matter how frustrated I have got over the years its his game, its still going, and im just a paying customer along for the ride.

You're suggesting we will be deluged with new players.   Oh to have that as our biggest problem.    Yes please. 

If he hires the right people to manage such an event things will be fine.  I'm not worried.    This is still a niche game with a steep learning curve.  Managing the influx--if it happens--will be doable.    We're not talking "Call of Duty: Black Ops" numbers here. 

My hope is a return to something approximating max numbers for one arena with a sustainable churn rate to keep it viable for another decade or two.   If we get HALF that it will be a base hit.  Batter up!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 09:07:14 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
325th VFG - "The Checkertails"
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #337 on: May 30, 2017, 09:10:40 PM »

Im not sure that we will see this huge influx of people, tho I do hope so. HTC has proven they can handle large numbers of players, as well as large fluctuations of numbers. Back in the hey day we had 600+ players login in on week nights, and I hear we hit over 1000 a few times on the weekends. These numbers fluctuated pretty heavily from US prime to Euro prime time and HTC added a way to drop from 2 large arenas, to a single arena to keep that magic number of players in an arena to make it viable.

Adding 2,3, or 4 arenas wouldn't be a chore, and even having the ability to drop it down in the less populated times is a plus. I have a lot of confidence in HTC's ability to adapt.

oh and btw, Who are you?

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #338 on: May 30, 2017, 09:16:52 PM »
My thoughts exactly. AH III hardly takes a gaming computer. This game is easy on the computer. It might run rough on a 10 year old machine that has not been upgraded any. If you run an ancient machine it is time to update some. If it was cutting edge 10 years a go then it will not run as well as a 300 dollar machine today.
Yep, they have done quite well catering to the "masses" if you will. When AH3 went into alpha/beta there were many posts saying how people couldn't play anymore, but it really doesn't take much. Not only that, but PC parts are fairly cheap and a decent system can be had for as little as the price of a console with a bit of planning and execution.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #339 on: May 30, 2017, 09:17:23 PM »

Im not sure that we will see this huge influx of people, tho I do hope so. HTC has proven they can handle large numbers of players, as well as large fluctuations of numbers. Back in the hey day we had 600+ players login in on week nights, and I hear we hit over 1000 a few times on the weekends. These numbers fluctuated pretty heavily from US prime to Euro prime time and HTC added a way to drop from 2 large arenas, to a single arena to keep that magic number of players in an arena to make it viable.

Adding 2,3, or 4 arenas wouldn't be a chore, and even having the ability to drop it down in the less populated times is a plus. I have a lot of confidence in HTC's ability to adapt.

oh and btw, Who are you?

Who are you?  Why is this always a question?   Are you attempting delegitimization of his comment?

Who he is isn't relevant.  Agree or disagree and leave it there.

Focus on what he says not who he is.    :salute
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
325th VFG - "The Checkertails"
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline BaronVonDeath

• Zinc Member
« Reply #340 on: May 30, 2017, 09:34:18 PM »
Unless your thinking of retiring or maybe profiting (which is good, good luck) DON'T do it. Air Warrior was ruined and failed when EA took over. I fear the same for this game. It's not a modern days kids game. To slow and boring for them, they want fast spawn to action, and kill zombies, they don't like WWII (if they even know anything about it!)
Hell, I'd like faster spawn areas but I understand the tactics. They want the respawn where you last died spots. Whatever you decide, good luck in your venture.   

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #341 on: May 31, 2017, 12:42:09 AM »
I have full faith in the  upper management..
No such thing as problems..only solutions
Good luck with it all.
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline nugetx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #342 on: May 31, 2017, 04:11:50 AM »
waiting patiently

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #343 on: May 31, 2017, 09:01:37 AM »
Why do people insist on making a game everything to everyone?

The beauty of this game is we all get access to the same equipment in game to work with.

Ok, I will be blunt. There is a cycle seen repeatedly in Aces High and most of us fit that mold.

New to AH: Everything is new and great, taking part in missions in the MA.
Experienced: Starting to get the hang of this, attempts to perfect base taking. This player begins to understand concepts in the virtual air.
Veteran: Realizing that base taking is boring after a while, the vet takes part in more dueling and events.
Old stick: Compares the current day Aces High to the "good old days" when everyone took part in the game the way you remember. At this point the old stick either gives back to the community or does nothing but complain about it.
Sunset stick: Moving on to other games, or flies much less skipping months at a time.

Personally, I don't like the treadmill but the longer the game can keep the interest of subscribers, the bigger the online population and revenue for HTC. Even if it causes them to stay 2-3 months longer it would be worth the investment.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 09:08:11 AM by Delirium »
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #344 on: May 31, 2017, 09:13:12 AM »
Who are you?  Why is this always a question?   Are you attempting delegitimization of his comment?

Who he is isn't relevant.  Agree or disagree and leave it there.

Focus on what he says not who he is.    :salute

Because there are a number of trolls on these boards as well as in the game. Many of them you couldn't pay me to believe what they say/post. I would hate to see what these guys who hide behind an alise have their posts taken as gospel.