Author Topic: I have been considering steam since the beging of april.  (Read 52723 times)

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
Re: I have been considering steam since the beging of april.
« Reply #405 on: June 05, 2017, 01:09:52 PM »
I don't know why so many think the game format is the problem. Other game formats exist. You can easily load a small map in a private arena and play what ever game you want. The duelling arena is now like a call of Duty match room. There's capture the flag!

The eye candy needed to be upgraded because new generation players would pass this game up based in its old graphics. I continue to believe that the issue is accessibility due to hardware. Steam will help reach a wider audience of PC gamers that have the hardware to play this game effectively. That's good. If IL2 and warbirds have 130 people at the same time, and we had 150, it's only a matter of time before we steal those folks and have 280 at a time.

then there should be a console version that lets console gamers play as well. Those would be big numbers,  :salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #406 on: June 05, 2017, 03:11:10 PM »
Yea the $100 is sorta low, I would much rather see it in the 1 to 2k range, and refunded with payments. 100 was what it took top put your first game on green light.

HiTech

Ah.  Interesting.  Yeah, maybe $1000 would separate the wheat from the chaff a tad. 

Good luck with it.  My offer stands.   (Not that you need it.)
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
325th VFG - "The Checkertails"
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #407 on: June 05, 2017, 09:29:47 PM »
Yeah Ive always avoided telling the guy how to run his business, unlike some.

But my opinion is AH3 would do well on Steam. Its well balanced, fairly easy to learn, can be very exciting, the game "looks" good, its very stable. I think it would do well.

I have no problem with Hitech going to Steam, and as you stated, I also "avoided telling the guy how to run his business, unlike some."  :cheers:
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #408 on: June 06, 2017, 01:27:45 AM »
In my fair opinion, I believe that there is a big difference between running a business, and undertsanding the gameplay inorder to make small adjustments that make the game more actionable. Time is just a huge factor and one sortie takes a long time. AH needs to work on picking up the pace of the game play so that people who try the game actually find the action. That's why maps are the most important part to AH. Steam will bring in a lot of players new players at first. But my fear is that the hole in the bucket (time per kills/sorties/interaction) will not be filled, and players will leak out eventually.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #409 on: June 06, 2017, 08:45:06 AM »
See rule #4
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 08:46:33 AM by hitech »
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #410 on: June 06, 2017, 09:15:42 AM »
See Rule #2
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 09:17:16 AM by Skuzzy »
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #411 on: June 06, 2017, 11:34:20 AM »
In my fair opinion, I believe that there is a big difference between running a business, and undertsanding the gameplay inorder to make small adjustments that make the game more actionable. Time is just a huge factor and one sortie takes a long time. AH needs to work on picking up the pace of the game play so that people who try the game actually find the action. That's why maps are the most important part to AH. Steam will bring in a lot of players new players at first. But my fear is that the hole in the bucket (time per kills/sorties/interaction) will not be filled, and players will leak out eventually.

It does help to be an end user of your own product or have staff members who are.  I say this generally (not pointing fingers at anyone here).
”KILLER V”

Offline AAIK

• Nickel Member
« Reply #412 on: June 06, 2017, 11:38:15 AM »
It does help to be an end user of your own product or have staff members who are.  I say this generally (not pointing fingers at anyone here).

This.

If you like your own product, people will notice and look into it for themselves.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #413 on: June 06, 2017, 12:19:03 PM »

You know for a fact that no one at HTC plays the game?  You know for a fact that they don't have a shade account that they use so they can play without being bombarded with questions?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 12:38:05 PM by Ack-Ack »
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #414 on: June 06, 2017, 12:37:42 PM »
then there should be a console version that lets console gamers play as well. Those would be big numbers,  :salute

Developing a console version is a rather expensive endeavor, though doable.  Personally, when I hear of a developer saying that cross platform play is not technically feasible, to me that's just a developer that doesn't want to spend the money to do it.  Square Enix has proven that cross platform play is doable when Final Fantasy XI was released over 15 years ago and again with Final Fantasy XIV.  However, there are some issues relating to developing for a console and cross platform play.

The game would have to be scaled down to take into account the limitations of the consoles.  Yes, the XB1 and PS4 are more technically advanced then previous console generations but there are still limitations that have to be taken into account, especially when the plan is cross platform play.  The other stumbling block is some of the console makers (*cough* Microsoft) tend to not be so enthusiastic for some reason about cross platform play for all consoles, and tend to just support cross platform play between their console and PC.  Sony tends to be more embracing of the concept and usually do not place any barriers on the developer, unlike Microsoft, which usually wants a lot of money and a lot of restrictions.  We had to pay a lot of money to Microsoft when we added cross platform support to the Xbox 360 for Final Fantasy XI and we're still in negotiations with Microsoft to add cross platform support for Final Fantasy XIV. 

As I mentioned already, it's also a rather expensive endeavor development wise, since you need to develop three versions of the game, whether the plan it is to have cross platform play or separate servers for each platform.  Console players will also be at a disadvantage because of the lag difference, which is why you usually don't see cross platform play between different platforms in first person shooters.

There are many more issues, such as the the popularity (or lack of actually) of flight sim games like Aces High with the console crowd.  Arcade type flight sims (like Aces Combat) are far more popular, while flight games that tend to be more on the realistic side aren't as popular.   
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #415 on: June 06, 2017, 01:11:01 PM »
You know for a fact that no one at HTC plays the game?  You know for a fact that they don't have a shade account that they use so they can play without being bombarded with questions?

Where did I assert such a thing?    You quoted the wrong person. 
”KILLER V”

Offline nugetx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #416 on: June 06, 2017, 01:12:47 PM »

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
« Reply #417 on: June 06, 2017, 01:46:04 PM »
yesterday I paid the $5.00 and I voted yes and I even left comments.

nice, do you have $5 credit in steam now?

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #418 on: June 06, 2017, 01:51:34 PM »
Be very careful what you wish for.  Last night Saturday  at 9PM EDST I went onto STEAM and checked on the numbers of the only two other WWII Air Combat Sims on STEAM.  WarBirds had a total of just under 50 players, IL2, did better with 80,  Aces High at that time had 151 in the main arena.

Much as I hate the way they do business, the way they run their game with utter arbitrary values and modeling, you should also look at War Thunder. It's a bigger draw than IL2 these days, and as of the moment I type this they have over 16,000 players logged in.

So... yeah... Just sayin'.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #419 on: June 06, 2017, 01:52:41 PM »
nice, do you have $5 credit in steam now?

Message as of today lists:

"As of June 6, 2017 Greenlight is no longer accepting new submissions and voting has been suspended.

Starting June 13, Steam Direct will be the new path for developers to bring their game to Steam"