Author Topic: I have been considering steam since the beging of april.  (Read 53905 times)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: I have been considering steam since the beging of april.
« Reply #510 on: June 11, 2017, 12:30:51 PM »
Well Zoney, if you were able to get 3x more players at 10 dollars. You would be making more revenue. An economical scale would tell you that because #s (demand) has dropped, lowering prices might actually increase the economy of scale by supposedly getting a much bigger increase in demand. Maybe once the demand excels passed a point, you could begin to slowly raise the cost again.

I am glad that you don't run HTC.  Your business model leaves something to be desired.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline AAIK

• Nickel Member
« Reply #511 on: June 11, 2017, 12:39:49 PM »
I am glad that you don't run HTC.  Your business model leaves something to be desired.

It is yet too early to tell if HTC's model of staying small will work out in the end. Many businesses have had very long and slow death spirals and such events are not new to the world.

Offline puller

• Gold Member
« Reply #512 on: June 11, 2017, 12:41:21 PM »
It is yet too early to tell if HTC's model of staying small will work out in the end. Many businesses have had very long and slow death spirals and such events are not new to the world.

:rofl  :rofl :rofl

20 years later  :rofl
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde

Offline AAIK

• Nickel Member
« Reply #513 on: June 11, 2017, 12:43:15 PM »
:rofl  :rofl :rofl

20 years later  :rofl

I don't think you read the "very long and slow death" part.

Offline Owlblink

• Nickel Member
« Reply #514 on: June 11, 2017, 01:00:07 PM »
So what changed? I brought this up in January. 24th to be exact. I recieved:

Steam is too expensive.  We would have to double our monthly subscription rates to make any money.  Steam is suited for one time charge games or fremium/free games.
Kommando Nowotny FSO
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline nugetx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #515 on: June 11, 2017, 01:50:32 PM »
Does it matter? What's important it will be on steam now.

Offline nugetx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #516 on: June 11, 2017, 03:34:12 PM »
It's time to open the gates!

Online DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #517 on: June 11, 2017, 05:43:57 PM »

I was just presenting an economical theory for a new marketing and promotion opportunity that Steam will bring.  There's going to be tons of  reviews . The biggest disconnect is the time to try the game before you have to sign up. Most of my friends can't believe I pay $15 a month for this game.  People like us who have a passion for this game are different than brand new customers. We actually understand the game. So either only super passionate people will stick around, or you can fill up the arenas quickly by creating a promo, and allowing players to stay in the game longer, before paying a full premium.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline LocoMoto

• Copper Member
« Reply #518 on: June 11, 2017, 07:56:51 PM »
It's time to open the gates!

(Image removed from quote.)

Over the years I have desired nothing more than to see this game surpass its golden days of old and be optimized to its fullest potential. AH3 is here release the gates! :banana:
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 07:59:04 PM by LocoMoto »

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #519 on: June 12, 2017, 02:17:42 AM »
It will be a thread about pies and why the colonials are all silly

I had bangers and mash for dinner, and an Old Speckled Hen.  I thought of Zack.

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
« Reply #520 on: June 12, 2017, 07:26:48 AM »
I had bangers and mash for dinner, and an Old Speckled Hen.  I thought of Zack.
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:
I'm hungry now! :banana:
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle

Offline Randall172

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #521 on: June 12, 2017, 10:46:28 AM »
I just checked, and WWII Online appears as "Free to play" on Steam.  How does Steam take a $ cut of Free to Play games?   Are they all micro-transaction based, and Steam takes their cut from those?

And War Thunder, DCS WWII, IL-2, WWII Online - they're all on Steam.  Aces High needs to be there too, I think.   Pricing?  I have no clue, and while 1 month free and $9.99/mo thereafter appeals to me as a consumer, I don't know about most Steam users.  They may be too used to free-to-play to be willing to fork over a significant monthly sub?

If a typical subscription duration really is 2-5 months, then it seems pretty close to someone paying $50 for a title and playing on free online servers until they tire of the game and move on to something else (averaging the 2-5 months to 3.5 months, * $14.95/month = $52.33).   I prefer the security and predictability monthly subscriptions provide to the game developer though.  Especially if its a small shop that concentrates on evolutionary enhancements to a single title.

Warthunder is a freemium game where you can purchase time to get a higher rate of xp.

I personally like freemium because it encourages content creation on the developers (stuff to buy), and you will generally see many more players in the game than if had a pay wall. For a game thats claim to fame is large players counts, you have to have "large player counts" to really stand out (thats why ww2 online went f2p).

Offline LocoMoto

• Copper Member
« Reply #522 on: June 12, 2017, 10:57:01 AM »
Warthunder is a freemium game where you can purchase time to get a higher rate of xp.

I personally like freemium because it encourages content creation on the developers (stuff to buy), and you will generally see many more players in the game than if had a pay wall. For a game thats claim to fame is large players counts, you have to have "large player counts" to really stand out (thats why ww2 online went f2p).
For an arcade style game freemium works! WT is a good example.

For a knock down-drag out war simulator like AH3 the only true investment is time. The more time a player invests in the game the more successful a player will be. From length of time played to how a player flies his/her aircraft investing time is the #1 factor imo. 

When I am patient in a fighter and take my time during engagements I dont make mistakes. Mistakes are usually what gets me shot down. When flying bombers that extra 10-20 minutes of climb out can make all the difference in defending against multiple aircraft. Im sure the same can be said with gv's but im at a disadvantage when it comes to that.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 11:02:10 AM by LocoMoto »

Offline LocoMoto

• Copper Member
« Reply #523 on: June 12, 2017, 11:04:57 AM »
:x  :rofl  :cheers:

One of those rare times im totally in agreement with the infamous spy agent AKA... AKAK :salute

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #524 on: June 12, 2017, 01:27:02 PM »
Yep.  That's exactly what happens here too.

You rent a car for 24 hours and turn it in in 20 hours you don't get a refund for the time unused.

You buy a ticket to the baseball game and leave in the 7th inning, you don't get a refund for the unused 2 innings.

You enter a 30 lap motorcycle race and crash on lap 15, you don't get half your entry fee money back.

You subscribe to Aces High for 30 days and quit in 20...........well, I think you can figure out the rest.

Cancel your cable subscription before the end of the  month and they will shut it off immediately and refund the pro-rated balance

Cancel your car insurance before the term is up and they will shut it off immediately and refund the pro-rated balance.

Cancel the electric service at  your house and they will....OK you get the idea.  :grin:
Who is John Galt?