Author Topic: I have been considering steam since the beging of april.  (Read 52811 times)

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
Re: I have been considering steam since the beging of april.
« Reply #525 on: June 12, 2017, 08:33:16 PM »
:x  :rofl  :cheers:

One of those rare times im totally in agreement with the infamous spy agent AKA... AKAK :salute

That's funny because Fidelity just lowered their commission price from $7 to $4.99, due to being more competitive and maybe trying to increase demand. The same concept that lowering the tax rate will actually get more people to pay taxes and more people working to pay taxes, but that's another story. Doing fairly little to improve MA gameplay, or lowering the price to pick up demand, 2 very different approaches, is why AH is left with 107 players on a Saturday evening. On a new map
 non the less.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #526 on: June 12, 2017, 09:05:37 PM »

That's funny because Fidelity just lowered their commission price from $7 to $4.99, due to being more competitive and maybe trying to increase demand. The same concept that lowering the tax rate will actually get more people to pay taxes and more people working to pay taxes, but that's another story. Doing fairly little to improve MA gameplay, or lowering the price to pick up demand, 2 very different approaches, is why AH is left with 107 players on a Saturday evening. On a new map
 non the less.

Does lowering the subscription price or even getting rid of the subscription business model offset the cost of getting the game on Steam?  Keep in mind, its not only the cost of getting AH distributed on Steam but also the cost of developing the Steam version and keeping it updated along with the non-Steam version.  A couple of key things you seem to leave out of your "business model"
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline LocoMoto

• Copper Member
« Reply #527 on: June 12, 2017, 09:36:19 PM »

Does lowering the subscription price or even getting rid of the subscription business model offset the cost of getting the game on Steam?  Keep in mind, its not only the cost of getting AH distributed on Steam but also the cost of developing the Steam version and keeping it updated along with the non-Steam version.  A couple of key things you seem to leave out of your "business model"
+1

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #528 on: June 12, 2017, 09:48:04 PM »

That is true. I have not considered the cost of steam. The cost from steam is, well an extra cost. That's a risk. I guess htc would pay them a % of subs, so that's already a price decrease per subscription. I can see why lowering it even more would seem like too much, it may not even be enough to support the unit cost. Not sure the calculations for a system type per unit cost.

That being said there are probably 100 ways to price AH. Clearly the "grab" isn't strong enough. 1 way I like is something like 4.99 for early war only planes. 9.99 for midwar planes, 14.99 for all the planes. I'm only saying that this would work better than just 1 price. You could create a promo for AH, 7.99 limited time for the first 3 months. Spotify got me on that one, but theirs was 99cents, lol. These are just examples.  Some money is better than no money, and more subscribers are better than none/decreasing. If you got even 3000 new subs. You would immensely create a much better fighting atmosphere and overall more people would end up paying the 14.99 in the long run, with a hell of a lot more people in the MA. 
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 09:49:35 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline 10thmd

• Silver Member
« Reply #529 on: June 13, 2017, 01:18:22 AM »
Steam greenlight is now dead, valve is spooling up Steam Direct to take it's place.
- Der Wander Zirkus -
“You can all go to hell; I will go to Texas

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #530 on: June 13, 2017, 02:50:04 AM »
That is true. I have not considered the cost of steam. The cost from steam is, well an extra cost. That's a risk. I guess htc would pay them a % of subs, so that's already a price decrease per subscription. I can see why lowering it even more would seem like too much, it may not even be enough to support the unit cost. Not sure the calculations for a system type per unit cost.

That being said there are probably 100 ways to price AH. Clearly the "grab" isn't strong enough. 1 way I like is something like 4.99 for early war only planes. 9.99 for midwar planes, 14.99 for all the planes. I'm only saying that this would work better than just 1 price. You could create a promo for AH, 7.99 limited time for the first 3 months. Spotify got me on that one, but theirs was 99cents, lol. These are just examples.  Some money is better than no money, and more subscribers are better than none/decreasing. If you got even 3000 new subs. You would immensely create a much better fighting atmosphere and overall more people would end up paying the 14.99 in the long run, with a hell of a lot more people in the MA.

Your business model would leave a company out of business.

Offline nugetx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #531 on: June 13, 2017, 04:03:28 AM »
Your business model would leave a company out of business.

I guess what Dmonslayer is saying, that some people just don't want to pay 15$ monthly today to play a game.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #532 on: June 13, 2017, 04:36:09 AM »
I guess what Dmonslayer is saying, that some people just don't want to pay 15$ monthly today to play a game.

Some people don't mind paying a subscription either.  WoW and FFXIV are just two examples of millions of people paying a subscription price to play.

Offline nugetx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #533 on: June 13, 2017, 06:07:20 AM »
Some people don't mind paying a subscription either.  WoW and FFXIV are just two examples of millions of people paying a subscription price to play.

True, I'd like to see Aces High expansions with large ammounts of content which you purchase one time.

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #534 on: June 13, 2017, 06:57:13 AM »
I`d like to get everything we get now for $15 a month and everything else they add, thrown in for free... like it is now.
 :cheers:
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #535 on: June 13, 2017, 08:33:56 AM »
I`d like to get everything we get now for $15 a month and everything else they add, thrown in for free... like it is now.
 :cheers:
:aok   me too
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline DubiousKB

• Silver Member
« Reply #536 on: June 13, 2017, 08:45:40 AM »
True, I'd like to see Aces High expansions with large ammounts of content which you purchase one time.

A nuget of an idea.... Keep the monthly fee at the reasonable rate it is, but get paid to generate the content... It brings it's own set of challenges to the table but interesting thought..

Concern, all players in arena would need the assets as to be displayed on all FrontEnds, but only the paying subscriber has access to "use" the content? Might not work with our game as well as the mind's eye predicts.

Example, Content Pack $100,000:  10 New Aircraft, 6 new maps, All New Mission Queuing system (prompt player in flight to join the "queued" mission), New weather content pack...

In the above example, how does the non-paying subscriber see this?  Are they not allowed to join the Main Arena when a purchased map is in rotation? Do they not see the new aircraft in flight? Do they not experience the "weather content". If there was a complete road/train network with new destructible support structures, does the new player just not see them in game?  See the challenges there? Just spit-ballin...
56th Fighter Group -  Jug Life

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #537 on: June 13, 2017, 10:56:32 AM »

My point is that I wouldn't have subscribed to steam for 9.99 right off the bat. It took a risky a 99 cent for 3 months to get me hooked. Since I was able to get a good understanding of their service. I thought it was worth it. AH does not have a good strategy in this regard. I honestly at the age of 15 probably would not have subscribed to AH after only 2 weeks, if it weren't for the H2H that really allowed me to learn the game. Now Ive been here for over 11 years. Now that the #s have died and squads aren't there to bring as much learning and excitement for fights. The MA doesn't have as good of a grab as it use to for new players.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 11:01:04 AM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline 10thmd

• Silver Member
« Reply #538 on: June 13, 2017, 11:42:12 AM »
I have a question. Can non subscribers set up their own arena's in FTP section?
- Der Wander Zirkus -
“You can all go to hell; I will go to Texas

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #539 on: June 13, 2017, 11:43:43 AM »
I have a question. Can non subscribers set up their own arena's in FTP section?

Yes.
Steam: DrKalv
Elite:Dangerous: Snailman