Author Topic: recording gameplay in VR  (Read 885 times)

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
recording gameplay in VR
« on: June 05, 2017, 03:46:31 PM »
Ok, its been stated before "Run VR leaving resolution at your monitors native settings". My question is, why does say Invidia record the gameplay(on desktop) at a different resolution? I get the "FULL screen", well as full screen as I can get it to go, and seems the video is at a different than monitors resolution. The cockpit and resolution seems to be a lot different? I run 1920 x 1080 but recorded at more like 1360x768? I know as stated, that running game in non native res can cause problems with VR so what if any settings can be made with res and vr. Question I guess is, if the desktop recording the VR game play is at lower than native could or would adjusting res in video settings improve IN VR (headset)graphics? I don't know even how to explain it let alone understand how it all works,just curious
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Re: recording gameplay in VR
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 03:49:40 PM »
What you see on the screen is simply a partial echo of whats going to the VR display. The screen resolution is meaningless to the headset.

HITech

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 05:44:45 PM »
Ok, its been stated before "Run VR leaving resolution at your monitors native settings". My question is, why does say Invidia record the gameplay(on desktop) at a different resolution? I get the "FULL screen", well as full screen as I can get it to go, and seems the video is at a different than monitors resolution. The cockpit and resolution seems to be a lot different? I run 1920 x 1080 but recorded at more like 1360x768? I know as stated, that running game in non native res can cause problems with VR so what if any settings can be made with res and vr. Question I guess is, if the desktop recording the VR game play is at lower than native could or would adjusting res in video settings improve IN VR (headset)graphics? I don't know even how to explain it let alone understand how it all works,just curious

The Nvidia software can record at different resolutions. Your monitor can display different resolutions. The VR headset can only display one resolution. Therefor you only play in VR at the native headset resolution but you can record film at different resolutions.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 02:50:58 AM »
Yes, I figured that was the case. Is there a resolution setting so that the recorded film doesn't look so smushed? Not a big deal really, the AH film recorder doesn't suffer from this problem. Just curious...again :uhoh So if I read FLS correctly...its possible to record at a better res? Not all that experienced with films. Or would the film, after getting it posted to say YouTube, show as a normal 1920x1080 or as it looks in film viewer(NVidia's) and smushed?  I know, it would be easier to just quit forgetting to hit save after a sortie  :bhead
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 02:56:30 AM by 1stpar3 »
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 06:53:17 AM »
yes.  You can either use the Oculus Mirror as your screen to record off of. It comes with the oculus software here:

C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics\OculusMirror.exe

the edges are drag-able and you can do full screen with it easily.

OR

You can resize the Aces High mirror window:

more information here:   http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,383394.msg5101206.html#msg5101206

both of those options will make the smush go away.

They will not change the limited field of view but they will stop the distortion of stretching the view based on the window dimensions not matching the original aspect ratio of the video playing in the window.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 06:55:48 AM by Kanth »
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 10:08:02 PM »
 :aok YUP, that was it! Thanks a bunch,was getting frustrated :mad: I am too old to keep up with this sort of stuff :x I now know how my Dad felt with Atari :old:

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 06:54:43 AM »

:cheers:

:aok YUP, that was it! Thanks a bunch,was getting frustrated :mad:

we had an atari when I was a kid...

I am too old to keep up with this sort of stuff :x I now know how my Dad felt with Atari :old:
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2017, 04:14:07 PM »
 :furious Ok,so you are aging better than I :D Don't grin so big...might loose your DENTURES :x

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2017, 04:33:33 PM »
 :rofl   :cheers: