Author Topic: I am going to make a map... What are the requirements?  (Read 2060 times)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
I am going to make a map... What are the requirements?
« on: June 01, 2017, 07:32:49 PM »
What are the rules/requirements for making a map?   I see the pinned thread so I presume that's it.

What's the best way to get started?     I think I figured out the brush but what resolution am I looking for on the thing?  2048 x 2048?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 07:54:48 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Hungry

• Nickel Member
Re: I am going to make a map... What are the requirements?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 07:59:34 PM »
That it not be round
"I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a Hamburger today"

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 08:14:58 PM »
That it not be round

It won't be trust me on that one.

:)

I don't have a handle on the grid system size.   Proportional to the game?
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 08:20:05 PM »
I can't even save my work.   

:rofl

And I though learning to skin was tedious.    :furious
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 09:34:14 PM »
Thanks man.   
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017, 06:28:06 AM »
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2017, 02:01:37 PM »
Congratulations Vraciu on taking the plunge. There are no wrong terrains for the Melee arena, only more terrains to spice up the HTC offerings list.

Thank you for helping the cause. :salute
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2017, 07:11:34 PM »
Thanks for the links guys.

Bustr, this could be an epic faceplant, but what the heck?
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2017, 07:47:13 PM »
You are here asking how to build a terrain for the Melee arena. If you actually grind through the process and don't give up. The game gets another terrain and no style of terrain is a wrong terrain. It's just another opportunity for the community to have fun. And it dose not matter what brought you here including:

That it not be round
It won't be trust me on that one.

You are here is what matters since I have the only round terrain... :O

Welcome to terrain building... :aok
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2017, 11:51:48 AM »
You are here asking how to build a terrain for the Melee arena. If you actually grind through the process and don't give up. The game gets another terrain and no style of terrain is a wrong terrain. It's just another opportunity for the community to have fun. And it dose not matter what brought you here including:

You are here is what matters since I have the only round terrain... :O

Welcome to terrain building... :aok

What are the rules about CVs?   Is there an upper limit?   Are we required to have them at all?
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2017, 12:14:05 PM »
They're not required, officially, as far as I know. Look to your terrain to determine if they fit, but they do provide some of the best fights when people stay out of the CV guns and the land based guys keep their bombers away.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2017, 03:14:16 PM »
What are the rules about CVs?   Is there an upper limit?   Are we required to have them at all?

If your really wish to make a terrain, first simply draw it in Photo Shop, along with field and strat placements.

HiTech

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2017, 09:06:28 PM »
Vraciu,

I created a 10 layer project file in Paint.Net on a work space 4096x4096 so my land, water and bases were 1:1 to the terrain editor work space. The terrain editor work space is 4096x4096, 8-pixel=1mile. My project file has the land and ocean on one layer then I separated onto individual layers the 1mile or 10pixal diameter dots that equal bases, base numbers\ types and strats, GV spawns and PT spawns.

I was able to use the land\water layer to convert it into a 16 color grayscale file that I then converted into a heightmap file which I imported into the terrain editor and all of the land as 500ft level blanks, the 25,000ft barrer ring mountain range and water gaps was created in about 5 seconds. I converted those brown corners into a gradient so the corners touch the mountains at about 15k and run off to about 100ft in the corners. That mountain ring is how I end up with a hybrid terrain of 14x14 instead of 20x20.

No matter the size of terrain you create, the work space will be 4096x4096 8pixel = 1mile while you use the CBM map size to mask out what you are not using, say if you create a 2048x2048 10x10 sector terrain.

Here is a screen shot of the 4096x4096 base layer, feilds number\type and spawns enabled from the 10 layers I used. With this I was able to map out my base locations to exactly where they will be on my terrain based on the distance requirements for bases on a Melee arena terrain. Also knowing how far from each field my spawns will be, the arrows at the end of each yellow GV spawn line are exactly where they will be when I finally lay down GV spawns to bases. It's all in the pixles on a 4096x4096 work space.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2017, 11:14:13 PM »
Here is today's work.

Gray areas with a bit of brown down the center are the tops of mountain ranges, some up to 8,000ft. Because I created a 4096x4096 blueprint I was able to perform a 1 for 1 transfer onto a CBM map generated in 4096x4096 so I could identify with those white squares where the strat and two large airfields would need the mountain range modified to receive them. You can see where the two white triangles are in those bays, that is where two ports go. In each case i laid down the base or strat or port object to get the topo features oriented, then deleted the object because I don't need them on the terrain during the land creation and painting stage of this project. I used a snow tile to paint in the squares onto the terrain for reference marks. The rest of the vBases and airfields will get shoe horned in because I allowed for them while building the mountain ranges. It's very simple to adjust a bit of the canyons to receive the vBases once I put in the finished mountain system on the island.

If you look in my posts about something for the Pac terrain set, I've been documenting all of this.

So here is today's work and a clip of the same area from my 4096x4096 blueprint map I created in Paint.Net.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing