Author Topic: Attention All FSO Players  (Read 2563 times)

Offline Dantoo

• Silver Member
      • http://www.9giap.com
Re: Attention All FSO Players
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2017, 08:56:53 AM »
To be absolutely fair to Dawger, I think he should get an explanation.  If the culture and concepts had been explained to him when he came onboard then he wouldn't have had these clashes.

Perhaps it's something the community needs to be mindful of.  It may be time to put more in writing.
I get really really tired of selective realism disguised as a desire to make bombers easier to kill.

HiTech

Matthew 24:28 For wherever the carcass is, there is where the vultures gather together.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2017, 10:50:37 AM »
How it works is this. In the MA you can fly anything you want any time you want, with only the ENY to restrict you. In a SCENARIO event you can sign up for a particular side and populate a squadron of a particular aircraft. When the event frame begins you are guaranteed that slot in that plane. The FSO events are different. There has never been a guaranteed slot of a particular plane given to any squad. It's entirely up to the side CiC who flies what within the boundaries of the event rules. More often than not it's a numbers thing that it comes down to as you're planning the orders for the frame. The idea that you're somehow entitled to a particular ride just because you've listed it as a preference is just not how this event works. If that's not to your liking the decision is yours to participate in it or not. No reason for all this mess over it.

FWIW I fly a 38 like 99% of the time. I welcome the opportunity to fly something else for a couple of hours. The last time the 412th got them was the weekend my daughter got married. What nerve! I should have had her reschedule!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2017, 05:16:29 PM »
The preferences are listed to assist CiCs in assigning aircraft. If at all possible...the CiCs should be assigning planes based on prefs. However...as we all know...it is not always possible to do because if limits ect.

That said CiCs should be trying to accommodate as best they can.

I am very disappointed with the tenor that I see here. There is no reason at all that a squad cannot ask in a respectful way and be replied to in a respectful way regarding a plane choice.

...If you get a reply that is not in the spirit of the event contact the CM, contact me. We will sort it out.

Is there some reason that we can't be civil and reasonable here???

I dreamed of a day when I could play a simulation of WW2 air combat. Did you? are you that jaded now all we can do is see small injustices and engage in fueds?

Come on fellas. I am asking us to raise the bar here and be part of the solution. Please.
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2017, 05:56:58 PM »
How do I edit the squad's historical ride on the AH Events site? 
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 06:00:58 PM by waystin2 »
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2017, 06:23:51 PM »
How do I edit the squad's historical ride on the AH Events site?
What is P.O.W.'s historic ride, Window pane?  :cheers:

:salute
Sik
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2017, 06:36:30 PM »
What is P.O.W.'s historic ride, Window pane?  :cheers:

Sik

A motorcycle, obviously.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2017, 06:38:35 PM »
Waystin you log in to AH Events and then go to Events> FSO> Update FSO Squad Info.

If you want me to do it shoot me a PM.  :salute
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2017, 06:46:27 PM »
Waystin you log in to AH Events and then go to Events> FSO> Update FSO Squad Info.

If you want me to do it shoot me a PM.  :salute
TY Sir.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2017, 06:48:47 PM »
A motorcycle, obviously.
Still waiting for them to add the motorcycle with the sidecar!  :D

Offline Dantoo

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2017, 07:21:43 PM »
I would just like to see a wider explanation because I don't think, as yet, the whole story is revealed to newer eyes.

The ride preference thing wasn't there from the beginning. 

The biggest problem historically wasn't that people weren't getting the rides that they preferred.  The problem was that they were getting rides they particularly disliked and they were getting them every single week.  (Yeah I am talking about buffs and usually lightly defended ones at that).

We have had massive discussions here in the past at the best and fairest ways to pass around the "dog ride" that inevitably appears in each FSO series.  I remember one squad ended up with such a ride about 5 times in 6 weeks if the grey matter is operating today?

The community spoke in a strong voice that acting as CIC encompassed more than simply copying last weeks orders and incrementing the frame number by a single digit.  (It has happened).

The main focus since those times has been for CIC's to try and ensure that squads did not get the same ride and the same duty every week of a frame.  If about a third of the rides in a particular FSO series is in Kates then you are going to get them once in 3 weeks if everything is done properly.  If you get them not even once then you're not lucky, somebody else has been dudded.

There is a corollary.  It is very important for people to understand that every time a squad gets the ride they want that some other squad is carrying a burden to grant them that privilege.  Demanding that people do that, or even expecting people do that, isn't an attitude that wins friends and influences people.

Sometimes it's the job.  Sometimes it's the ride.  If you get the job you want and the ride you want once in 3 weeks then you have scored!

Take this FSO.  There are extreme and difficult limits on the ride numbers.  P-38s are the issue this month.  We have one set and I think 4 P-38 squads.  If it is done most fairly then at least one group must still miss out.  If one squad was to get that ride 3 weeks in a row then 3 squads miss out.  For one group to "demand" them for 3 weeks because they have written out clearly that's what they want is going to ruffle a lot of feathers.

If that group has never had it explained to them not just how, but why, then they might well feel that they are being short-changed or slighted by being "ignored".  Why wouldn't they?

I don't nominate a preference.  I take it as part of the joy of the challenge to get that turd gleaming.  I would be very unhappy to see any steering toward making historical ride, or ride preference, as anything other than a FYI only.  It's been that way for a reason and if it changes at all then this will be the first round of wars that will be waged month after month after month until only the loudest remains in the arena.
I would rather see it done away with if it continues to cause angst.  In the meantime it serves a useful role, but only if it is seen as it has been historically:  "Hey we really like this particular plane and we can do a job in them.  If you haven't got other plans for them we'd be super happy to have them allocated".

It is a responsibility of the community to educate those who they have invited to participate.  It is necessary as part of the education process to clearly state that there is no concept of "rights" in FSO or any special event.  There is only the privilege to join with and participate in a community.  How you interact within that community ultimately dictates the return you gain from it.

Privilege.
I get really really tired of selective realism disguised as a desire to make bombers easier to kill.

HiTech

Matthew 24:28 For wherever the carcass is, there is where the vultures gather together.

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2017, 10:00:40 PM »
What FSO means to me is that you're not necessarily always going to get the plane that you want but whatever you're assigned with you do the best in it you can to get the job done and have as much fun as you can.
 FSO is not the Melee arena or a scenario event where you can choose your rides FSO is it test of a pilots skill in whatever they're put in... just do the best you can and have as much fun as you can, there's been a lot of times I've been put in a plane that I really didn't want to be in but you know what? I can honestly say I had a hell of a lot of fun in that plane that originally I didn't want to fly when your squadmates are giggling like a bunch of little school girls because they're having so much fun that is what FSO is about and if it turns into I want MY plane mindset I'll just withdraw from FSO.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 10:02:12 PM by 68ZooM »
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline Goat1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2017, 11:14:01 PM »
What FSO means to me is that you're not necessarily always going to get the plane that you want but whatever you're assigned with you do the best in it you can to get the job done and have as much fun as you can.
 FSO is not the Melee arena or a scenario event where you can choose your rides FSO is it test of a pilots skill in whatever they're put in... just do the best you can and have as much fun as you can, there's been a lot of times I've been put in a plane that I really didn't want to be in but you know what? I can honestly say I had a hell of a lot of fun in that plane that originally I didn't want to fly when your squadmates are giggling like a bunch of little school girls because they're having so much fun that is what FSO is about and if it turns into I want MY plane mindset I'll just withdraw from FSO.

I agree  :aok
Goat
"Go in close, and when you think you are too close, go in closer." — Major Thomas B. 'Tommy' McGuire, USAAF

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2017, 05:37:19 PM »
JG11 has had the privilege to fly axis most of the time we have been in FSO. At the time it was good for the game as we were a relatively large squad and heck someone needs to be the bad guys! As a rule we dont care what we fly but do enjoy the German Iron when the event calls for it.

JG11 usually assigns Buffs to our group when we have CiC duties,there might have been 1 or 2 exceptions over the years but if buffs are needed we happily take them so the other squad can get to better rides,in turn we often get our ride so we take pride that we take the.....lesser rides!

Seems I have the most fun when we have a crappy ride,some of my fondest memories are when we flew buffs or stukas! :aok

Offline branch37

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 Jolly Rogers
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2017, 06:46:04 PM »
Well said morf. One of the most exciting frames I can remember myself and a squaddie were rtb in stukas and ended up dogfighting 2 bostons. We used all our ammo and all 4 planes flew away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CMDR Branch37
VF-17 Jolly Rogers  C.O.

Offline Dantoo

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2017, 07:45:23 PM »
Funny stories and good ones.

I well remember the FSO based on Midway (I think) where there were two groups of Vals (about 20ish) sent to attack a field covered by maybe 6-7 F4Fs.

I was nominally or notionally Vals leader.  When the F4Fs attacked I told half the group to drop ord and attack the F4Fs with the Vals.  As most of these things go, the majority of the Vals just dumped ord and attacked. Suddenly there were smoking and burning F4Fs everywhere.  We were able to go back, rearm, and attack again because the place was now undefended.  CV rearming was wiping out more Vals than the F4Fs.

This BBS entertained a massive whine about how our Val tactics were wrong and unfair!  Sheesh.
Memorable super fun though.

HiTech