Author Topic: Steam  (Read 2014 times)

Offline BaronVonDeath

• Zinc Member
Steam
« on: June 29, 2017, 09:21:44 AM »
Ok, so it looks like Steam is heading our way. I don't like it but not my decision, I only know EA killed Air warrior.
Question, will there be a new fee?

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Re: Steam
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 09:24:35 AM »
Steam would  not be required in any way, and people will still be able to download the game from anywhere and pay via the same methods they are now. Steam would just be a new payment system.

HiTech

Offline nugetx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 10:36:56 AM »
I only know EA killed Air warrior.

Steam is not a publisher that funds the product and expects the product to make money, it is only a distribution platform that takes % of sales for the benefits it provide.

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php?topic=15603.0

I would like to quote a post from this topic from 2001

W was one of the $9.95 all you can eat sims, right?

Not quite. AW was one of the oldest games around of the "$9.95 all you can eat" type. AW's problemwas that besides the AW3 graphics change, it just .....never changed. All the features promised for AW II never made it into AW III either. The final AW slide to this point has been in the making for over 4 years IMO when they failed to do anything with the program the last time they had a chance..

You can only rest on your laurels for so long before community innovation and veteran interest starts to wane.  'Maintenance Mode" = online death.  Especially when competition arrives on the scene as WB's did, then Fighter Ace and now AH.

I've yet to see any threat of  AH settling for "status quo" or heading for "maintenance mode."

« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 11:05:57 AM by nugetx »

Offline BaronVonDeath

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 12:49:22 PM »
 :aok

Offline FORK2

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 02:55:34 PM »
I would like to propose a fee structure change for AH. Charge a nominal fee for the two week trial (say 2.00 or so) if and when AH3 goes to steam (but not before)

My kids and I have had steam for quite a while and spend at least $200.00 per year on steam products. It seems to me that a bunch of ppl jumping into the game for a free two week trial could overload the game and cost Hi Tech more money to support them. Also, many cheaters abuse the two week trial feature. I understand the need for a free two week trial if you are not in a distribution network like Steam but think a two week trial is not needed for an old and established game like AH3 once it is on Steam.

It's a psychological thing too, if you do move yourself to pay the 2.00 aren't you serious about the game and be more willing to pay the $15? It would weed out a lot of the tourist loser bigmouths kids for sure.

Steam runs a LOT of specials, let them, then the two week trial is free from time to time or like .88 cents or so depending on the special. Let Steam do the game's marketing and let Hi Tech and Skuzzy do the real work they love to do. Which is making the best WW2 sim in the known universe.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 02:56:27 PM »
I don't like it but not my decision, I only know EA killed Air warrior.

You really can't compare EA killing off AW to get the network code to HiTech's thinking of putting the game on Steam.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline nugetx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 03:27:08 PM »
Let Steam do the game's marketing and let Hi Tech and Skuzzy do the real work they love to do. Which is making the best WW2 sim in the known universe.

Some good words here, Steam is very good at marketing.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2017, 04:04:37 PM »
I would like to propose a fee structure change for AH. Charge a nominal fee for the two week trial (say 2.00 or so) if and when AH3 goes to steam (but not before)

My kids and I have had steam for quite a while and spend at least $200.00 per year on steam products. It seems to me that a bunch of ppl jumping into the game for a free two week trial could overload the game and cost Hi Tech more money to support them. Also, many cheaters abuse the two week trial feature. I understand the need for a free two week trial if you are not in a distribution network like Steam but think a two week trial is not needed for an old and established game like AH3 once it is on Steam.

It's a psychological thing too, if you do move yourself to pay the 2.00 aren't you serious about the game and be more willing to pay the $15? It would weed out a lot of the tourist loser bigmouths kids for sure.

Steam runs a LOT of specials, let them, then the two week trial is free from time to time or like .88 cents or so depending on the special. Let Steam do the game's marketing and let Hi Tech and Skuzzy do the real work they love to do. Which is making the best WW2 sim in the known universe.

”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
325th VFG - "The Checkertails"
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline FORK2

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2017, 04:16:56 PM »
LOL Vraciu, I was going to say in my original post that any old timer that was against this idea ran shade accounts and doesn't want to have that end, but I won't say it...

It would be rude to call ppl cheaters just because they want to keep the free two week trial, even after playing the game for many years.

After all I wouldn't have any proof...

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2017, 07:16:41 PM »

I actually happen to think that's a good idea. The extra 2 dollars would bring more value to the business, and it would weed out evil little children. People who would have never known about a 2 week free trial, Might think 2.00 or 5 for a month, is a really solid deal. At least you'd make a buck even if they hated the game and never came back. Something to think about.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 07:18:42 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2017, 08:54:30 PM »
Charging people for the trial period is not a good way to drum up business.

Extend the free 2 week trial period into a 30 day trial is far better of a solution and there are measures that HTC could put in place that would prevent abuse of the trial periods.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2017, 09:25:52 PM »

Extend the free 2 week trial period into a 30 day trial is far better of a solution and there are measures that HTC could put in place that would prevent abuse of the trial periods.

Agreed.

- oldman

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2017, 02:54:14 AM »

I would have to agree as well! True, there will be some who try to ride out the "Free trial" repeatedly, but AH tracks the ISP. At least I think they do? Not sure how many people know how to spoof an ISP or would even try too. Percentages of those occurrences would be fairly low? I know I was hooked by week 1 and a month should definitely seal the deal :aok 
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2017, 02:29:51 PM »

I have to say that my addiction was fully involved by about day 24 of playing this game.  The monkey hasn't left my back since.

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943.  Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2017, 02:44:13 PM »
Whatever HTC decides... he decides  :aok
At this point in the thread, any arguments pro or con
are useless... I am con, those that are pro and those
on the fence will not affect his decision  :cheers:
However, I still will stick to my guns, those who
use Steam as a portal to AH may invite a virus, malware, ads, etc.
 :rock
"Would you tell me, please,
 which way I ought to go from here?
 That depends a good deal on where
 you want to get to. Said the cat."
    Charles Lutwidge Dodgson a.k.a. Lewis Carroll