Author Topic: Steam  (Read 2008 times)

Offline FORK2

• Zinc Member
Re: Steam
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2017, 03:02:53 PM »
You may have a legitimate reason to be against charging for the 2 week trial but the "marketing" AH3 has had so far stinks. The free 2 week trial has not worked and will not work. If it had would we have seen steadily shrinking numbers over these last years? It's time for a change in thinking.

Steam is a marketing portal, let it market, they would run all sorts of specials using the two week fee, reducing it and bumping it back up, believe me they know what they are doing as all I ever hear from my kids is about some steam special coming up and can they buy this or that game.

Now I understand your old timer emotional attachment to the game and the desire to see no changes, after all its working for you. BUT, I tell you this game is toxic for newcomers. WE need new thinking and new ideas, and new innovations or this game that you love so much is dead and I mean DEAD. To the gaming community at large this game already is dead judging by what my 5 teenagers say about Dad's game.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2017, 03:06:48 PM »
You may have a legitimate reason to be against charging for the 2 week trial but the "marketing" AH3 has had so far stinks. The free 2 week trial has not worked and will not work. If it had would we have seen steadily shrinking numbers over these last years? It's time for a change in thinking.

Steam is a marketing portal, let it market, they would run all sorts of specials using the two week fee, reducing it and bumping it back up, believe me they know what they are doing as all I ever hear from my kids is about some steam special coming up and can they buy this or that game.

Now I understand your old timer emotional attachment to the game and the desire to see no changes, after all its working for you. BUT, I tell you this game is toxic for newcomers. WE need new thinking and new ideas, and new innovations or this game that you love so much is dead and I mean DEAD. To the gaming community at large this game already is dead judging by what my 5 teenagers say about Dad's game.

Except a great deal of the stuff that I like is mutually exclusive with a lot of the stuff that your 5 teenagers would want out of it.  If I wanted those types of gameplay, I'd be playing something else.  As usual, why does everything absolutely have to change?  They haven't added a new piece to chess in quite some time, the game still seems to work.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline FORK2

• Zinc Member
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2017, 03:09:23 PM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 03:18:20 PM by Skuzzy »

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2017, 03:13:37 PM »
Who said I wanted to keep the kids out?  I just happen to like the base idea and gameplay here.  It's the only game that offers it.  Sure there's room for improvement but a lot of the ideas that get thrown around are basically to change the entire game into something it's not, which is decidedly unappealing to me.  Nothing to do with competing with the kids.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline FORK2

• Zinc Member
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2017, 03:32:51 PM »
In reply to your question Wiley, we need change because what we have been doing is NOT working. Has the two week trial stopped the declining numbers? Has the graphic upgrade brought the numbers back up?

You may like the game as is but I tell you the game has become toxic as the numbers decline. I've seen a lot of grumpy ppl cause they can't get a good game (me included).

I suggested the two week trial fee, ONCE WE GO TO STEAM AND NOT BEFORE, to weed out the ppl who are not serious about the game and to let steam have some meat to market with. (Steam uses specials all the time in which trial fees are slashed or waved, believe me that marketing strategy works).

I see ppl threaten all time in this forum about how they are going to quit if there are changes. (not talkin about you Wiley in this part) I say let Hi Tech call all you all's threats and bluffs. That's just bullying HiTech because you all know there's been a decline. I say come up with new ideas to bring ppl in and stop worrying about your precious score!

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2017, 06:28:10 AM »
Fantastic news August
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2017, 03:29:48 PM »

I suggested the two week trial fee, ONCE WE GO TO STEAM AND NOT BEFORE, to weed out the ppl who are not serious about the game and to let steam have some meat to market with. (Steam uses specials all the time in which trial fees are slashed or waved, believe me that marketing strategy works).

The free trial system has nothing to do with declining numbers. I suggest leaving the trial system the way it is. on or off steam and if I understand this correctly, steam has nothing to do with how much we pay to play AH, or even charging us we pay HTC like we do now.  the HTC 2 week FREE trial has worked for 18 years, or however long they have used it. you said to weed out people who are not serious about the game, a 2 week free trial gives the people a chance to see if it's for them, if they like it or not. and you keep saying we this we that, as far as I know you don't work for HTC, you should be saying HTC this or HTC that, or HiTech this and that. well we can come up with all the ideas and post them, if HTC likes them they will use them at one time or another. always good to have people with new ideas.
 another thing when the word or phrase is used as in "2 week trial" it usally means free trial, oooooohhhh I just thought of something- a trial usually means money back if not satisfied, do you suggest giving the money back if they don't like it? :bolt:
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2017, 08:51:43 PM »
steam is great, keeps your games updated while you sleep.  most important feature imo.

I havent even been playing much for the last few years, finally got a PC that can play the new version maxxed out, and i still dont play much.. maybe an hour in the last few months..  I have been paying the whole time tho  :neener:  :rolleyes:

kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2017, 08:36:46 AM »
hey kvuo where is Jeff?  tell him i mis him and look forward to hearing his voice again.  :devil

:eek:

:salute

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2017, 09:33:04 AM »
hey kvuo where is Jeff?  tell him i mis him and look forward to hearing his voice again.  :devil

:eek:

:salute

he lives out of state and doesn't have a pc anymore for some reason  :furious
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2017, 02:48:59 PM »
LOL Vraciu, I was going to say in my original post that any old timer that was against this idea ran shade accounts and doesn't want to have that end, but I won't say it...

It would be rude to call ppl cheaters just because they want to keep the free two week trial, even after playing the game for many years.

After all I wouldn't have any proof...
Being a  :old:, I do not have a "shade account" and so I resent lumping all  :old: in the same category
 :bolt:

"Would you tell me, please,
 which way I ought to go from here?
 That depends a good deal on where
 you want to get to. Said the cat."
    Charles Lutwidge Dodgson a.k.a. Lewis Carroll

Offline nugetx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2017, 08:59:18 AM »
Steam has shared newest info about player numbers

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2017, 10:46:39 AM »
I'm not one of those..... and I did not sign up just to vote.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Rodent57

• AH Training Corps
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2017, 12:03:47 PM »
Ditto
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
-AE

Offline Petey

• Copper Member
      • 56th FG Homepage
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2017, 02:47:39 PM »
Getting AH on Steam would bring in new players.

My son has AH on his Steam list now and a some of his friends have shown interest in AH. and the ones that have tried it like it.  they rave about how much better the FM is and how skilled the pilots are in AH.  I have to agree that we have among us some of the worlds best virtual pilots. they like the challenge that AH presents to them.

With a few promo specials and the exposure that Steam has to offer it would be a plus for the AH community IMHO.

would like to see our numbers in the 500's+ at any given time again.

there is nothing on steam that offers the flight model and community of AH.  Most of the foundation of this community came from AW and WB and made it home. there are no real flight sim communities offered on steam like ours and many people who play the so called flight sims on offered on steam now are looking for just what we have here in our little piece of the cyber world. let let them know that there is a place for the steam people who are like minded and love combat sims as much as we do to call home.

besides.... we have clubbed all of our sheep to death and need some new ones to beat on  :devil

HT has and always will control the destiny of AH and that's how we like it.

Petey
56th
Petey

56 FG "Zemke's Wolfpack"