Author Topic: collision model  (Read 21992 times)

Offline AAIK

• Nickel Member
Re: collision model
« Reply #105 on: July 18, 2017, 03:56:47 PM »
What do you think should happen when a plane's wing and another plane's engine collide?

Wiley.

Well if we are talking about planes with similar size and heading at each-other with the same roll (head on shot), if the engine of one were to strike the wing of the other, the same would happen to the other plane resulting in both having engine damage and loss of wing.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #106 on: July 18, 2017, 04:12:05 PM »
So what are you saying?  You've seen stuff hit your plane that didn't break it?  Or are you saying you saw stuff on his plane hit yours that didn't break?  If it's the latter, that's likely because he rolled or wasn't in the same orientation when they struck on his end.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #107 on: July 18, 2017, 07:37:47 PM »
Maybe the physics model needs an upgrade?

I have gotten away with too many collisions to speak of, with little/no damage.

Which collision message did you get? You know there are two different messages?

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #108 on: July 18, 2017, 07:55:32 PM »
It's obvious that people don't realize what they are wishing for. I'm pretty sure that they would not like a model where other people could deliberately ram them and that they could see a plane pass 100 yards behind them and then their wing fall off...

''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #109 on: July 19, 2017, 06:08:37 AM »
Maybe the physics model needs an upgrade?

I have gotten away with too many collisions to speak of, with little/no damage.

Which probably means you were not the one who collided, the other guy did.  If you do not think you are taking enough damage when you do collide, then I encourage you to submit the film in a bug report.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Zygote404

• Copper Member
« Reply #110 on: July 19, 2017, 09:43:46 PM »
I don't think since starting playing again I have ever collided and not been the one that takes damage.  Doesn't matter if I jam on the brakes and he runs up my bellybutton or I deliberately collide with him, or collided with a bomber on the way past on a strafe. 

I think its because I'm in Aussie yeah?

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #111 on: July 19, 2017, 10:07:21 PM »
So you still dont understand how it works..
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline Zygote404

• Copper Member
« Reply #112 on: July 20, 2017, 04:46:49 AM »
So you still dont understand how it works..
What I understand is how Hitech explained it way back in AH1.  Theres my computer with its data, the server with its data, and the other plane with its data.  Since the data on my computer and the data on the server and the data on the other guys computer are all different collisions occur on my computer when my plane hits the other guy, collisions occur on the other guys computer when his plane his my plane on his computer.  When either of those events happen the clients will send that data to the server and the server will blow up whoever his whoever on their own client.

While my client might detect a collision on my computer, the other guys computer might not because its using different data.  On his computer I miss him.

?

Still doesn't explain why I haven't had someone collide into me and die yet.

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #113 on: July 20, 2017, 05:50:05 AM »
<snip>

Still doesn't explain why I haven't had someone collide into me and die yet.

Because they haven't hit you on their screen.

If there is a collision on your side, then you get damage. If there is a collision on their side, they get damage. If there is a collision on both sides, both get damage.
AH Supporter Since Tour 35

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #114 on: July 20, 2017, 10:27:52 AM »
Zygote I don't know if this is superfluous but you used the expression "when my plane hits the other guy" which is a little misleading as it isn't important whose plane hits whose but just on whose computer the hitting takes place.

I'm not saying you misunderstand but most people who have a problem with the collision model seem to impute fault with collisions which really doesn't make much sense.

To be truthful I once rammed a bomber on purpose but the way I did it was by flying very close to it but not by flying into it.
Pies not kicks.

Offline Zygote404

• Copper Member
« Reply #115 on: July 20, 2017, 10:48:49 PM »
Zygote I don't know if this is superfluous but you used the expression "when my plane hits the other guy" which is a little misleading as it isn't important whose plane hits whose but just on whose computer the hitting takes place.

I'm not saying you misunderstand but most people who have a problem with the collision model seem to impute fault with collisions which really doesn't make much sense.

To be truthful I once rammed a bomber on purpose but the way I did it was by flying very close to it but not by flying into it.
Yeah understood.  Maybe they're just better at avoiding collisions, only just started again 1 month in :)

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #116 on: July 21, 2017, 06:34:29 AM »
I was not referring to FLS.  I was referring to the general topic, which has been explained/discussed ad nauseum.
Perhaps a well thought out sticky post with pictures and video posted by HTC might be in order.  This way when someone complains about the model, "go to the sticky" would end the discussion. 
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline flippz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #117 on: July 21, 2017, 03:00:50 PM »
Randy1 I know of what you speak of but I cant remember.  I am sure I was right and it was all your fault <S>. 

As to the rest of you saying this is what it is and talking "down" to us guys that are not understanding it you may want to to stay out of the conversation.  I am not good with computers, this is the first game I have ever played in my life and I am 39.  I do not understand how it works or what a mmo is or a node and what packet transfers are.  I know what I see and what aggravates me, so that is what I bring to the forum.  I don't need some guys that's played this game for 20+years making me feel like an idiot or some one telling me I am beating a dead horse.  Lets think about this, all you guys that have been here for 20 yrs say yall hear this all the time, and you tired of hearing it and we are boo hooing, well if that many folks have complained and said something about it maybe just maybe there is a issue.  is that issue fixable maybe not at the moment.  is there a better way to explain and offer examples absolutely.
 I know 99% of the time I take the damage from a collision, be a front, rear, or side hit.  like today zenner in a p51d hit me head on twice (not saying its his fault) and flew away with no damage.  there were two friendlies in the area that commented on it and the collision model in here. also today me an hotard was in a turn fight, we collided me left side of the plane and his nose into my cockpit (from what I saw) I instantly go boom with no shots fired.  I ask on 200 if he died also and the reply was no but it broke my wing.  I guess my question is, is there not away for info to be shared and dealt out by the server because obviously I cant trust my computer because what it shows me is not really happening ehh.

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #118 on: July 21, 2017, 03:04:09 PM »
flippz......man, why are you taking this personal?  Those that understand how the collision model work had responses explaining why and how the way it works.  From your posts I simply learned that you didn't understand it.  Is it not possible for you to just embrace that this is the best way to model collisions and move on sir?
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #119 on: July 21, 2017, 03:13:30 PM »
flippz,  you need to stop thinking in terms of colliding with someone or someone colliding with you.

It all boils down to this;  If your computer detects your plane intersecting an object, then your plane is going to be assessed damage based on what your computer detected being hit.

If the other guy did not hit your plane, then he is not going to take damage.

What I just said will never make any sense to anyone if you hang onto the thought that in the real world both planes are going down in a collision.  The difference is the real world is 100% real time.  The Internet is not and that is the big difference.  The reality, in the game, is different on every computer running the simulation.

You want crazy making?  Wait until you run into a plane whose rounds do not appear to be coming straight out of the guns.  It can happen.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 03:17:27 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com