Author Topic: collision model  (Read 23915 times)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: collision model
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2017, 11:18:10 AM »
Yea and you will be spending all of your time circling above enemies without ever engaging.

It's possible to lose altitude and control your speed. A trainer can help you with that.  :aok

Offline AAIK

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2017, 11:31:07 AM »
It's possible to lose altitude and control your speed. A trainer can help you with that.  :aok

I am just saying that is it almost impossible to predict when someone will try and ram you.

It is like driving, you may be driving as usual and avoiding issues, but there are other drivers out there who may be in a state that may cause a crash even if you had nothing to do with it.

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2017, 11:39:43 AM »
I am just saying that is it almost impossible to predict when someone will try and ram you.

I predict every enemy will try to ram me...or at least turn into me to try for a HO. I'm correct at least 80% of the time.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline AAIK

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2017, 11:44:40 AM »
I predict every enemy will try to ram me...or at least turn into me to try for a HO. I'm correct at least 80% of the time.

HO is quite different from a ram, the ram is blatant, while a HO is calculated.

If someone is just in it for the HO, they would of made signs of avoidance or preperation, otherwise they will just head straight into you without and course corrections.

Even with the delay in updates; you should be able to see slight movements if they plan to survive.

Offline flippz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2017, 11:46:09 AM »
the other night for example when I dove on torquilla, I rammed him, no doubt about it, but yet he received the collide and damage.  there have been many time when I was afk in bombers and received the collision when the fighters are diving on me and hit the plane from the rear.  I think Monday knight there was a incident where two aks ran into my plane from the rear I received the collide on both of the hits.  also I have received  damage as well when clearly there was no bullets being fired.
my question is doesn't it take two planes to collide?  how is it determined what plane receives damage and collision? is it that my internet is faster and sees stuff faster or is it that mine is slower and I am seeing stuff later than others?  there was a situation last night where we did go head on and rammed both planes, I turn to dust and go to see jesus (hopefully) and he lands with my scalp as nothing happened.  how does that work?  I am asking because I evidently don't understand, when two cars hit they both receive damage.  I have never worked a wreck where two cars hit and one is towed away totaled and the other drives on to the drug store with no damage.

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2017, 12:03:25 PM »
the other night for example when I dove on torquilla, I rammed him, no doubt about it, but yet he received the collide and damage.  there have been many time when I was afk in bombers and received the collision when the fighters are diving on me and hit the plane from the rear.  I think Monday knight there was a incident where two aks ran into my plane from the rear I received the collide on both of the hits.  also I have received  damage as well when clearly there was no bullets being fired.
my question is doesn't it take two planes to collide?  how is it determined what plane receives damage and collision? is it that my internet is faster and sees stuff faster or is it that mine is slower and I am seeing stuff later than others?  there was a situation last night where we did go head on and rammed both planes, I turn to dust and go to see jesus (hopefully) and he lands with my scalp as nothing happened.  how does that work?  I am asking because I evidently don't understand, when two cars hit they both receive damage.  I have never worked a wreck where two cars hit and one is towed away totaled and the other drives on to the drug store with no damage.

It's as simple as this, if there is a collision on your screen, then you receive damage. If there is a collision on their screen, they receive damage. If there is a collision on both screens, both receive damage.
AH Supporter Since Tour 35

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2017, 12:07:37 PM »
my question is doesn't it take two planes to collide?
In the real world yes, because there is no lag. Over the internet, what you see on your screen can look somewhat different on the other players' screen. Different enough that it may show a collision only on one player's computer, while on the others they narrowly missed each other. What you see is what you get

how is it determined what plane receives damage and collision?

If you have your plane colliding with any object on your computer, you take damage. Same for everyone else.

is it that my internet is faster and sees stuff faster or is it that mine is slower and I am seeing stuff later than others?

No. AH is not played on a server, but on your own client. In a collision you , you both are affected by the combined lag of both player's connections (simplified said)
The higher this combined lag is, the more probable a one sided collision will be.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2017, 12:08:07 PM »
There are two different collision messages.

"PlayerID collided with you" means there was a collision detected on PlayerID's computer.

"You collided with PlayerID" means there was a collision detected on your computer.

Sometimes you see both messages together, other times just one or the other.

Real life doesn't use 2 PC's over the internet.  :aok

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2017, 12:13:24 PM »

It is like driving, you may be driving as usual and avoiding issues, but there are other drivers out there who may be in a state that may cause a crash even if you had nothing to do with it.

Does that change how you drive?

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2017, 12:16:30 PM »
This is how 'real life' and AH differ:

These pictures where taken at the exact same moment. The first one was taken on the Thunderbolt players computer, the second one was taken on the Mustang driver's one. The Mustang tried to ram the Thunderbolt.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2017, 12:30:13 PM »
Like taxes, we all complain but in real life it is what it is and it is always going to be.  That does give you the full right to get the red asss.  We all get it from time to time.

Flippz is a good guy and a good player.  We have collided together more than once with varying outcome.  Each time I knew it was not on purpose on both sides.

Offline nugetx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2017, 12:31:14 PM »
Don't collide..... problem solved  :D

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2017, 01:01:03 PM »

If you are flying a plane with weak firepower, 99.9% will take every possible FQ shot because they know there is no danger of reprisal.
Conversely, a plane with big guns will reduce that percentage to 10% - the suicidal types.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 01:03:00 PM by caldera »
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline flippz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2017, 02:05:04 PM »
in one year of flying here I have never intentionally tried to collide with anyone, except once.  I tried to ram a c47 as I was out of ammo and after about 10 swipes was unable and ran out of gas. 
I understand the no damage part for both planes as we would have every one flying straight into one another, but I am also tired of constantly receiving the collide be it mine or there internet is slower.  if everyone that collided got the same damage that would be nice and also maybe keep people from getting so close.  I understand at times I will still be on the loosing end of the collision but at other times it is so aggravating when I get the collide and wings pop off and the other flies away to heavenly bliss. 
today I upped and the very first flight "collide" wings come off and the other planes nothing  :bhead  :bhead

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2017, 02:27:14 PM »

today I upped and the very first flight "collide" wings come off and the other planes nothing  :bhead  :bhead

But what you can not be sure of at the moment is how much damage did you take from gun hits as well as the collision.