Author Topic: collision model  (Read 21883 times)

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
Re: collision model
« Reply #165 on: July 28, 2017, 04:11:22 PM »
No matter how it works because it is same for everyone.  Now if someone figures out an in-game hack by taking advantage of a hole in the model, that would be a different colored horse.  Something odd like full up and down elevator  or flaps just before the collision.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 04:13:52 PM by Randy1 »

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #166 on: July 29, 2017, 06:19:24 AM »
We have been talking about the *when* considering collisions, not the *how*. People are getting their panties in a knot trying to make sense(?) of collision detection but we haven't been talking about how (the in-depths of the physics modelling that takes place). My suspicion is that people are more aggravated by the how then the when.
<snip>

The "how" is easy.  The pilot failed to avoid intersecting a foreign object and thus his/her plane took damage.  Ta-da!

Too many people over-think this.  It is as simple as this, and applies to every individual pilot in the game;  If your plane intersects a foreign object, your plane takes damage.

All anyone has to do is ask;  Did my plane intersect a foreign object?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 06:24:08 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #167 on: August 06, 2017, 11:44:49 AM »
I can live with it either way, so I'm not requesting a change to the model. That said...

I've come to the conclusion that I [personally] don't like one sided collisions. If the bandit and I are close enough that one of us gets a collision, then we are too close to whine that we didn't hit him. I would like the deterrent to reckless flying more than I would dislike getting a two sided collision that I thought I had avoided. Here's why....

I have learned how to ram a bomber [with my ghost plane on his front end] and avoid damage on mine. When I run out of ammo, I can "one side collided" with buffs and knock them out of the sky, and have done it often. It's also annoying when a pilot turns right into me and breaks my plane only to discover he didn't get a collision too. reckless flying like that can be rewarded in the current system.  No guarantee that people fly less reckless however, but there should be a price for flying like a lunatic [no offense to the player named Lunatic]
Just following up on point. I moved in to attack a group of Lancs and decided to film me creating a 1 sided collision to prove how easy it is. If you are out of ammo and do this a few times, you can knock 3 buffs out the sky without firing a shot. Gamey. Now I agree with most about the benefits of the one-sided model for most situations. But perhaps an exception could be written for Buff-to-fighter to prevent this....

Here is the video: https://youtu.be/j_dsoHsf29k

:salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #168 on: August 06, 2017, 07:59:52 PM »
Just following up on point. I moved in to attack a group of Lancs and decided to film me creating a 1 sided collision to prove how easy it is. If you are out of ammo and do this a few times, you can knock 3 buffs out the sky without firing a shot. Gamey. Now I agree with most about the benefits of the one-sided model for most situations. But perhaps an exception could be written for Buff-to-fighter to prevent this....

Send the .ahf file in to Hitech.  That will tell him far more than a Youtube video can.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #169 on: August 06, 2017, 09:00:31 PM »
Send the .ahf file in to Hitech.  That will tell him far more than a Youtube video can.

^^^^^^^

This..... Send in the actual AH film, so hitech can pull the raw data from it,  only if you think something is wrong or off.....

This horse was beat to death over 16+ years ago and the only thing left to beat is horse bone dust piled up on the ground.....

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #170 on: August 06, 2017, 10:23:42 PM »
^^^^^^^

This..... Send in the actual AH film, so hitech can pull the raw data from it,  only if you think something is wrong or off.....

This horse was beat to death over 16+ years ago and the only thing left to beat is horse bone dust piled up on the ground.....

TC

no need to send anything else. This wasn't for HiTech, he knows it all already. This was for the people who say "there is no way to make a one side collision happen". Now they know how easy it is.  :salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #171 on: August 07, 2017, 12:52:58 AM »

Not available.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #172 on: August 07, 2017, 07:54:16 AM »
Not available.

Wiley.

That's weird it was there yesterday...and now it's gone.  :noid
Who is John Galt?

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #173 on: August 07, 2017, 10:43:25 AM »

Vid was set to private...OOPS. Try it now?

Who is John Galt?

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #174 on: August 07, 2017, 12:08:42 PM »
I would have kept it private and just sent HTC a link to prove your point.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #175 on: August 07, 2017, 12:10:34 PM »
Why does every online game company have their programmers code in lag?! So unfair! Stop programming in lag!

:old:

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #176 on: August 07, 2017, 12:42:10 PM »
On a serious note .... expecting a perfect solution for an imperfect situation that HT has no complete control over is not a reasonable stance. Lag exists. It affects both players (unless they've moved to HT's server room and plugged in directly). There are choices that HT can make to approach lag:

1) Player front-end resolution. (The player sees his plane strike the other plane and he suffers the consequence.) [the choice made]

2) Server resolution. (The server sees one player fail to avoid a collision and determines both suffer the consequence even if the other player either took action to avoid or saw nothing to avoid and actually saw no collision.

The first option is the fairest for fighter vs fighter engagement. The second is not a solution to the 'problem' of collisions, at all.

When it comes to players gaming the game to 'shoot' down bombers by colliding with them, it doesn't render their fighter impervious to bomber guns. Apparently the trick involves diving from above in front of the bomber or perhaps zooming up in front. If an ammo-less fighter is taking out entire bomber boxes this way then I find it hard to believe that the bombers aren't trying to shoot it down, in the process. If the bombers are winchester (bad, bad ammo wastage, dude), well, this seems like an unfortunate situation but it doesn't warrant going from the best possible solution to none at all.

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #177 on: August 07, 2017, 01:02:17 PM »
I would have kept it private and just sent HTC a link to prove your point.

Again, because HTC knows this. So this wasn't for them.  :salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #178 on: August 07, 2017, 01:10:57 PM »
I really dont get what you are trying to do, other than showing players how to game the game, any other collision model means that in the case of your video your plane would have exploded mid air because of a collision that occurs somewhere else and it means that ramming other players would be even easier than in you video, and that they have no chance to avoid them..
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #179 on: August 07, 2017, 01:14:05 PM »

1) Player front-end resolution. (The player sees his plane strike the other plane and he suffers the consequence.) [the choice made]

2) Server resolution. (The server sees one player fail to avoid a collision and determines both suffer the consequence even if the other player either took action to avoid or saw nothing to avoid and actually saw no collision.

Blah blah..such little creativity.

How about an exception to the current collision model in the case of Fighter hitting bomber, where a 2 sided collision would always result. this would close the abuse hole in an otherwise favorable situation.  :salute
Who is John Galt?